User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
WayFar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
WayFar's Wanderings...

I've decided to start this thread as I like to get out a lot, and the full on RR style of narration doesn't seem to be my thing. I'll be dropping new pics in here regularly, and I hope that you FF's enjoy them, as much as I do!

First, I'll be tossing in some pics from another daytrippin' thread that I did, and then I'll be adding some from last week's trip from AZ to UT, CO, and back to AZ.

My disclaimer: If you see a good pic in here, then Ms. WayFar s responsible, and if you see any that range from fair to SHIT, then I am responsible.

Here we go. This first series will be from a day trip in which we rode with some other inmates, and then split off on our own for the rest of the day:

A little Grub:

Next up is my high-speed dash from PHX to the FL panhandle and back. 1.5 days each way.

1st state line of the trip:

A short while later:

( I hit my first 1000 miles in about 16 hours shortly past San Antonia I think. Another 100 miles or so beyond that saw me putting up my tent at about 2 AM on the side of I-10.)

A not-so-short while later, And the last one for the out trip.

The word I got was that I had better get my ass in gear and quit screwing around at that point, so there were no MS, AL, orFL state line pics. That is the same reason there weren't many pics of the trip out, I simply had to get where I was going.

On the way back, there was no fire, and I tried to take a little more time and get some photos of things that were interesting to me.

Alabamy:

Next state please:

Back in Bayou Country:

Sons of Guns:

The Continent of Texas again:

I elected not to piss on the wall.

Looking to create an international incident:

Last state that isn't home:

And home at last:

1973 FL
2006 Uly
WayFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
WayFar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Last week, I had the privilege to load up the bike, Ms. WayFar, and hit the road yet again. The plan was to stay off the interstates (mostly), and go see some of AZ, the Goosenecks and Arches in UT, and then send some quality time enjoying Colorado. I visited Colorado a couple of years ago, and always wanted to get back there on a bike. Happily I was able to fulfill that desire. Once I have all my Pilot certs and some hours, I would like to move there and get a place in the boonies. Unless, of course, I can't take my guns with me, but that's a topic for another forum.

I'm going to start this with just a couple of photos fro the outbound leg of the rip through az. In the coming days, I hope to get all of the photos of the trip posted. The GF is a photo taking fool, so there should be some nice eye candy in here pretty soon.

We didn't really bother with photos until we were past Payson, heading north.We didn't get out of the PHX area until after 3pm, so our first day's progress doesn't seem like much

View Larger Map

A couple kids and their truck on the way north to PAyson:

Moving on past Payson, AZ here:

And the obligatory Winslow, AZ photos:

My intrepid backseater and I:

That was it for pics that first day, at least as far as I know. Coming soon: Day 2. From the middle of nowhere, AZ to Grand Junction, CO

1973 FL
2006 Uly

WayFar screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 10:42 PM
Old 07-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
WayFar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2. Time for some great views, looking forward to seeing some of the things you normally only see in photos.

View Day 2 in a larger map

After a few less than comfortable hours of sleep that was regularly disturbed by traffic way out on the Rez, we got up and got moving. I really ddin't understand why there was so much traffic there in the middle of a Wednesday night. I should have chosen a different place, but I was falling asleep on the bike, so there we were. On to some pics!!

And into Utah!

How much? I'll take it!

Goosenecks State Park:

Strangely reminiscent of a diner from Heroes:

That's all for a bit, if ya'll are enjoying them, i'll toss up some more!

1973 FL
2006 Uly

WayFar screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 06:07 PM
Old 07-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Thanks Ms.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
WayFar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here are some more photos of day 2 of our recent trip across UT, CO, and AZ. I have a couple more of the Goosenecks that I want to share, despite being out of order, and then on to Arches National Park and Grand Junction! I'm hoping that on future trips I'll be better about stopping and letting Ms. WayFar take more photos. Unfortunately, the 50D took a massive dump while at the Goosenecks, and the rest of the trip was photographed with my iphone and her S3.

After Goosenecks, we backtracked along 163 to 191, and headed north. At about this point, my wandering mind was thinking about Googling up that hole in the wall place to see if our route would take us anywhere near there. I didn't know what state it was in, but it seemed like we were in the right kind of area.

We passed through a couple nice little towns, but since I had so many miles planned for the trip, we had to bypass a lot. Maybe a mistake, but I wanted Colorado to have the lion's share of the time that we had available.

After a while, we stumbled across this:

and then, Lo and Behold:

Small world huh?

While we checked out the place, I went 4wheelin'. I wonder who gets my tickets from running the red lights?

No Bull, this is some serious talent:

I had a little talk with Mater, I made sure he was available to come rescue us in the event of a breakdown:

And then I took full advantage of my new pilot cert. Too bad I was WAY above max gross, and try as I might, no hover:

Someone was being slick with the camera:

Onward to what constituted my dream destination back when I was fortunate enough to own Jeeps: What you don't see here is the Uly taking a nap when the dirt just wasn't hard enough for the sidestand. Got some dirt on the case. Damn.

Exiting Moab, I decided that I must have missed a turn for the Arches National Park, I took a moment to let my co-pilot know this. Resigned to missing out on checking out the cool geology there, we headed for the interstate, and onward to Grand Junction.

And then, we found Arches N.P. With time being an issue, we just rolled through and checked out a couple of the attractions. This one is on the list of places to revisit with more time to explore.

Balancing rocks(which, of course, I tried to unbalance):

A little relief from the lids:

We got some photos of Delicate Arch, but from a distance, and with a phone, this was all we could get:

What you won't see here is the Uly taking its second nap in an hour. Not sure what happened, but when I set it on the sidestand in the parking lot, it just took a chunk out of the asphalt and kept on going. I caught it, so no damage, but it was more than a little embarassing.

We stopped in the visitor center, stamped our passport, and headed on north on 191. From here the plan was to go to I70 and head on over to GJ where we would camp and try to take in some fireworks. Too bad everything seemed to be closed. After catching some rain, we found an open Texas Roadhouse, which just happens to be my favorite place to eat. We took some time to scout out a route for the next day, which I expected to be the most scenic day of the trip.

And that would seem to conclude day 2! Hopefully as I go I'll get better at organizing my photos and thoughts so that it'll all be easier to enjoy.

1973 FL
2006 Uly

WayFar screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 01:19 PM
Old 07-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Great photos!

Thanks for the nice assortment great photos....very entertaining.....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Oldone screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 06:05 AM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
WayFar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not much apparent interest here, but I'll keep going. Hope everyone that is checking in on this thread is entertained.

Onward to Day 3....what I expected to be the best day of the trip.

View Day 3 in a larger map

Today would be a lower mileage day, but we really wanted to be able to take out time and soak it all in.

I admit that some of these are likely out of order, but all are from day 3

Today, we got quite a late start. We slept in a bit, and then took advantage of the laundry facility at the KOA that we sent the night at. While the nasty clothes were getting clean, I proceeded to win a few games of ping pong, and a hotly contested game of miniature golf.

Laundry done, we finally got on the road. A quick stop for fuel, and we headed south on 50 to the town of Delta. the bike needed some oil, I needed some fuel, and Carla was in need of some go juice:

After a quick meal, we backtracked through town to state highway 92/133 Almost immediately the scenery became perfect:

We finally got to some curves:

With that kind of view, we had to stop for a bit.

Hittin' the road again:

Not really sure where exactly we saw this, but I do remember blowing past it and getting slapped for not stopping:

Eventually making our way toward Carbondale:

After Carbondale, we headed south toward Aspen...

...and saw some nice things along the way:

And onward to Independence Pass:

That'll do for now. I have to go cricket shopping for my critter. Stay tuned, there are some nice photos from the later part of day 3...

1973 FL
2006 Uly