User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
aussi bob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
bed liner on bike

H i how many of you have sprayed there bikes with bed liner and how is it holding up .And how long have you had it on the bike i want to do my bike but would like to hear from guys that have done it the good bad and ugly thanks rob
aussi bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussi bob View Post
H i how many of you have sprayed there bikes with bed liner and how is it holding up .And how long have you had it on the bike i want to do my bike but would like to hear from guys that have done it the good bad and ugly thanks rob
G'day,
I've only done my IMS tank with the Krinkle finish Bed liner spray. It will eventually peel of the tank and bubble up ... as the fuel vapor works from the inside out. I've painted it several times with regular paint ... it's a no go. But I must say, so far the Bed liner stuff is better ... and tougher ... then regular paint. It's still hanging in there after a couple months.

If you're only painting the body work then it should work out really well.
Prep is the key to success. Nice and smooth, wipe clean. Several light coats is better than ONE heavy coat.

My spray paint on the rest of my bike (you can only see a bit of my Camo job in the pic below) has held up really well. It's two years old now ... no peeling. The Bed liner should be even better. Have fun!

Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
I've used it on my front forks lowers and the inside of my skid plate. Prep is the key to proper adhesion. I used some IPA (isopropyl alcohol) to clean then applied, beadblast would have been better. No major issue so far but I do have some small sections to repair from rocks.

SP
Old 07-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
WildmanSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
i am a huge fan of bedliner; for both my klr and other projects that need a rugged paint. the only kind i'll ever buy is the duplicolor liner in the blue can.

hardly any prep is needed really. just degrease with carb or brake cleaner before you spray. the closer you spray, the smoother the texture. spray from 12-16" away and you get a real sandpaper type finish which looks great. it dries super fast too so repeat coats are not a pain.

you can easily paint over the liner too which is what i did in a green camo pattern.
WildmanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Hey, great looking KLR ... very nice (subtle) camo job. I suck at painting and my camo job was pretty lame. Oh well.

Did you paint your tank at all? I guess the KLR's steel tank is OK to paint. My plastic IMS is nearly impossible unless it's coated on the inside ... which I ain't doin! (I just know that crap would end up in my Carb in the middle of Baja! )
Old 07-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #6
aussi bob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Thanks for all the replays i will try the liner as soon as i can find it here in australia .Also what would be needed to line the plastic tank on the inside thanks rob
aussi bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussi bob View Post
Thanks for all the replays i will try the liner as soon as i can find it here in australia .Also what would be needed to line the plastic tank on the inside thanks rob
No idea what you've got down under in the way of chemical tank sealer coatings. For years here guys used a product called "Creem". Not sure if it's still around.

My Creem story
I used it once on my old (1967) BSA whose tank had interior Rust. I cleaned it best I could, using a bunch of pennies and Carb Cleaner to remove all the loose stuff. Rinsed well, let dry ... then applied the Creem product. You sort of have to rotate the tank round to spread the liquid all over the inside of the tank. It worked. But in a couple years it began to peel off ... and bits ended up in fuel filters and in the Carbs. I stored this bike for long periods ... so that did not help matters. Others have used it with success.

Now there is a "New" product whose name I can't recall. It's claimed to be quite good ... much better than the previous Creem product.

This new product's producers swear it can handle Ethanol and other chemicals and will not break down over time. Does it work? Dunno!

If you're riding out back ... I'd be very careful about, modern fuels now have lots of additives which seem to be very good at dissolving all sorts of Rubber, Plastic and ... maybe fuel tank sealer treatments!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444

Rattle can spray on bed liner applied over 10 years ago. Only prep to tank was to clean with Simple Green to remove dirt/grime/oil and then tape and spray.
The stuff has faded some but with the ease /cost of doing again is a no brainer.

Hope your effort goes as well and protects the way this job has.
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
fossriver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I'll agree that Duplicolor in the blue can gave the best finish of the three or so I tried. It's been on for about 8 months now and looks great. Maxima Sc1 gives it a great sparkle and makes cleaning easy. The best part is when you do ding it, all you have to do is pull the plastic and give it a quick spray, and its good to go in a few hours. If you go overboard with the coats that you spray on, it can take up to a week to fully cure.

fossriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
WildmanSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Hey, great looking KLR ... very nice (subtle) camo job. I suck at painting and my camo job was pretty lame. Oh well.

Did you paint your tank at all? I guess the KLR's steel tank is OK to paint. My plastic IMS is nearly impossible unless it's coated on the inside ... which I ain't doin! (I just know that crap would end up in my Carb in the middle of Baja! )
Thanks! No, the satin finish on the 2011s gas tank looks pretty cool I think so I left it alone.
WildmanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T. View Post

Rattle can spray on bed liner applied over 10 years ago. Only prep to tank was to clean with Simple Green to remove dirt/grime/oil and then tape and spray.
The stuff has faded some but with the ease /cost of doing again is a no brainer.

Hope your effort goes as well and protects the way this job has.
Man, you guys all have very nice bikes! I'm getting jealous here!
Gale, that's a very nice packing job on your 640 ADV. Have you done many miles off road with that tank FULL? Or any longer rides with that set up?
Is that a Giant Loop pannier? Your bike looks like it's ready for Tierra del Fuego. Excellent!

I owned a '99 640 Dual Sport (in '99), loved it off road, but on road it vibrated my filings out on highway rides. But my real problem was the seat height, at barely 5'7" it was a struggle, just too tall for me. I sold it ... too cheap.

My DR650 is low, pretty light weight, super reliable. But no KTM off road. On road, it's superior ... S M O O T H
Safe Travels!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
Thanks Grifter, that top bag is the Giant Loop Fort Rock and this was the second trip for this bag, the first one a very short trip of 100 plus 2 up with wife.

We did a 400 plus mile last year with a similar u bag . We have logged over 40k with the other u bag on the RT 2 up, very comfortable for her and super way to pack. Keeps weight low and very secure.
The 640 set up we needed the Ft.Rock to be super secure for we did a few challenging trails that I as pilot did not want any movement, which we had

I can just touch both side on tiptoes, I have always wished I were taller and with this KTM , I really wish for some more inches , but, I do have initial sag set as low as I can afford.

We ride lots of dirt but now I reserve the single track /class 10 routes to my feet or a mt bike that I can pick up and carry. Know what I mean??

Thanks again, see ya on the trails
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote