ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
ded6080
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: TN
Oddometer: 7
Bike's looking sweet - I've been thinking about making a bat wing for awhile, just haven't gotten around to it - Looking forward to the results of the with and without test
ded6080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by ded6080 View Post
Bike's looking sweet - I've been thinking about making a bat wing for awhile, just haven't gotten around to it - Looking forward to the results of the with and without test
Thanks ded, yeah it will be interesting to find out - I may need to Dyno it for a true reflection and just have two air boxes, one with each ready to swap between runs. I will look into that once the bikes just about ready.
__________________
Blog: XR650R.Blogspot.com
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaXR650R
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: So.Cal
Oddometer: 495
I'm sure someones got one to replicate one. I'd be interested in checking one out, just dont have the sheet metal skills to knock one out.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:07 AM   #19
Sean-0
straya carnt
 
Sean-0's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Mumblebum Northern NSW
Oddometer: 4,300
Don't use springwood Suzuki to dyno ya bike .......im not real happy with ol mate ..who broke my rubber seal when he moved the c-clip...then thought silicone would be ok

ill never use them again
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:46 AM   #20
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
Don't use springwood Suzuki to dyno ya bike .......im not real happy with ol mate ..who broke my rubber seal when he moved the c-clip...then thought silicone would be ok

ill never use them again
Thanks for the heads up Sean-0, that's shocking!
__________________
Blog: XR650R.Blogspot.com
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaXR650R
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #21
CharlieXR4
Adventurer
 
CharlieXR4's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 25
Just curious, where did you find the decal set?
__________________
XR400R 'ol faithful
XR650R Sold
CharlieXR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #22
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer
 
oldxr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: central komifornia
Oddometer: 1,118
Good info on diy xrr suspension http://xr650r.borynack.com/
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #23
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: So.Cal
Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
Good info on diy xrr suspension http://xr650r.borynack.com/
I can attest to that, his valving recommendations are beyond amazing. I run the one between "trail bike" and "full out race"

Only once or twice have a felt that I was out riding the suspension. Honestly I was riding the bike way to hard and should not have been pushing it like that, but I could not let my buddy on a 2012 KTM 350exc beat me to the dry lake.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #24
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 635
Decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieXR4 View Post
Just curious, where did you find the decal set?
Believe it or not the hardest to locate components of this build were the graphics! So here is where I got each one:
  • IMS radiator shroud logos - Precision Concepts (PC)
  • White side-covers incl. airbox cover - PC
  • Rear fender multi logos - (paticularly tricky to find, finally found non-identical ones at a Ballard's Off-raod here in Australia, who just happened to have one lying about from years ago)
  • Handguard Honda wings - PC
  • Handguard Renthals - Ebay
  • Swingarm D.I.D and Renthal combined - PC, also on Ebay
  • Front mudguard (under side) 1x International Johnny Campbell - PC
  • Front mudguard Precision Concepts each side - PC
  • Fork stickers - PC

It may seem like a simple task of calling Diane at Precision Concepts but I can assure you it was no where near that simple. At first I was told that there were none left, but after some more searching and some help from inmate BUMP who knows Diane well and visits their store I was lucky, Diane found a few more left overs. As far as I know there really are none left now, but who knows?!

The rear guard decal, which is a custom made three piece sheet had me about to give up and get some made by a custom graphics company. I contacted both Custom Decals and FX (who both made graphics for the 1x bike), but they both no longer have the designs.

I thought it was a good idea therefore to scan all the decals for future replacements. I have quality scans of each decal, which can then be enhanced and printed as needs be.
__________________
Blog: XR650R.Blogspot.com
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaXR650R

Lostsaffa screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 03:38 PM
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #25
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gunga Galunga's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Northwest Back 40
Oddometer: 227
Thumb

Thanks for the great read. I admire your dedication and attention to detail, beautiful bike. I've found Precision Concepts to be top notch in the past. I can't wait to have them set up the XR.
__________________
2001 Honda XR650R (Plated)
1992 Yamaha WR500ZD
Gunga Galunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #26
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 635
Suspension Mods

Good info on diy xrr suspension http://xr650r.borynack.com/[/QUOTE

Thanks oldxr, yeah I was aware of Borynack's work and guides before I decided on building my 1x replica, and he sure has some good feedback!

As the build progressed I found myself wanting to not give an inch on authenticity, and this had led me to find original Precision Concepts Baja forks that were ridden by Mikey Childress, complete with his name on them (for those who don't know, Mikey/Steve Hengeveld/Johnny Campbell won the 2005 Baja 1000 together on the XRR, the bike I am replicating). They are currently on their way from the states and I had the privilege of inadvertently 'meeting' Mikey's Dad through an Ebay purchase. Great guy and great family, they were a great help with other parts too which I will report on later. I will no doubt need to get the forks serviced as they have been sitting for years, but I intend to keep them as they are otherwise.

With regards to the rear shock, I also wanted a Precision Concepts original, but two way posting of both an XR and CR500 shock to the states was way too costly an exercise so I had to look for plan B. Here is what Diane told me about the 'hybrid' rear shock that PC built in-house for the Baja bikes:

"We install the bottoming cones when we revalve the suspension. The cr500 body shock needs a cr 500 boday, a cr 125 piston and some special parts that we had machined for it"

A mate and inmate Ditchwitch here in Australia used a local suspension guru, David at Suspension Matters to build his hybrid shock and the results were excellent. I decided to get a clean CR500 and XRR shock and send them to David with instructions to not only make the hybrid the best it can be (by using top quality components like Gold Valves), but also to look just like the original PC 1x shock, which has a Ferrari red spring.




What he has built is a masterpiece (well it looks nice, but I'm confident it will ride well). He sorted out the internals with new components and the Gold Valves as well as a service. Essentially the hybrid is an XRR bottom and CR500 top. The benefits are that the CR500 has high speed adjustment, a slightly increased length which raises the rear, and a larger oil capacity for improved cooling in extreme conditions. He then got the spring to my weight and got it powder-coated red.

I had the 'Bob Bell' sticker from PC so installed the new 'fake' PC shock and it looks the part and hopefully works well too. There may be some adjustments needed but I will figure that out later. I will however keep my eyes peeled for an original shock, and if I ever find one I will swap it out.

So to get back to the original recommendation above, If I had the time to learn and workshop suited to building my own suspension I would probably have given it a go. There also was an option to get assistance from Barnumspro who is an authority on the XRR's in Baja, but I ended up using a shop who I had seen do a good job on the same setup before. I am happy with the results, and coupled with Mikey's forks we should have a winner
__________________
Blog: XR650R.Blogspot.com
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaXR650R

Lostsaffa screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 05:23 PM
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #27
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Galunga View Post
Thanks for the great read. I admire your dedication and attention to detail, beautiful bike. I've found Precision Concepts to be top notch in the past. I can't wait to have them set up the XR.
Thanks Gunga, much appreciated! Yeah the attention to detail has become more defined ever since I realised there were people connected to the original bike showing interest

Diane at PC has been most helpful, considering their busy racing commitments these days. In general I have been blown away by peoples help from the states though, all through 'virtual' communication too.

You must keep us up to date once you get yours done! I see you have a WR500 too, what a beast of a bike.
__________________
Blog: XR650R.Blogspot.com
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaXR650R
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #28
ditchwitch650
Studly Adventurer
 
ditchwitch650's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
Thanks oldxr, yeah I was aware of Borynack's work and guides before I decided on building my 1x replica, and he sure has some good feedback!

As the build progressed I found myself wanting to not give an inch on authenticity, and this had led me to find original Precision Concepts Baja forks that were ridden by Mikey Childress, complete with his name on them (for those who don't know, Mikey/Steve Hengeveld/Johnny Campbell won the 2005 Baja 1000 together on the XRR, the bike I am replicating). They are currently on their way from the states and I had the privilege of inadvertently 'meeting' Mikey's Dad through an Ebay purchase. Great guy and great family, they were a great help with other parts too which I will report on later. I will no doubt need to get the forks serviced as they have been sitting for years, but I intend to keep them as they are otherwise.

With regards to the rear shock, I also wanted a Precision Concepts original, but two way posting of both an XR and CR500 shock to the states was way too costly an exercise so I had to look for plan B. Here is what Diane told me about the 'hybrid' rear shock that PC built in-house for the Baja bikes:

"We install the bottoming cones when we revalve the suspension. The cr500 body shock needs a cr 500 boday, a cr 125 piston and some special parts that we had machined for it"

A mate and inmate Ditchwitch here in Australia used a local suspension guru, David at Suspension Matters to build his hybrid shock and the results were excellent. I decided to get a clean CR500 and XRR shock and send them to David with instructions to not only make the hybrid the best it can be (by using top quality components like Gold Valves), but also to look just like the original PC 1x shock, which has a Ferrari red spring.




What he has built is a masterpiece (well it looks nice, but I'm confident it will ride well). He sorted out the internals with new components and the Gold Valves as well as a service. Essentially the hybrid is an XRR bottom and CR500 top. The benefits are that the CR500 has high speed adjustment, a slightly increased length which raises the rear, and a larger oil capacity for improved cooling in extreme conditions. He then got the spring to my weight and got it powder-coated red.

I had the 'Bob Bell' sticker from PC so installed the new 'fake' PC shock and it looks the part and hopefully works well too. There may be some adjustments needed but I will figure that out later. I will however keep my eyes peeled for an original shock, and if I ever find one I will swap it out.

So to get back to the original recommendation above, If I had the time to learn and workshop suited to building my own suspension I would probably have given it a go. There also was an option to get assistance from Barnumspro who is an authority on the XRR's in Baja, but I ended up using a shop who I had seen do a good job on the same setup before. I am happy with the results, and coupled with Mikey's forks we should have a winner
coming along nicely Travis!!! Dave made a real point that your's has gold valve he may have ordered 2 to save shiping

look forward to seeing it in the flesh!!!!
__________________



ditchwitch650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #29
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,667
Very nice.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #30
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer
 
oldxr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: central komifornia
Oddometer: 1,118
Lostsaffa-the rumor on the Borynack files is that the stiffest (off road race) set up copies the PC set up on shim stacks and valving.I have no way of checking on this claim .My xrr is set up with the soft single track setup with the info from that file.I had a local guy do my suspension work but I have been thinking of getting another set of forks/shock and doing another set-up at home .Current style is usd forks-but with the amount of seal leakage on the usd forks I think a good set of set up xrr forks will give more service life with less maintenance.I posted the info for the xrr fans to use if they want.You will have an awesome bike when done-the work quality is 10 out of 10.Parts I am running and would suggest-A early xr400 cdi box.Slightly advanced at all rpms + 1000 more before the limiter kicks in.I got a new oem honda cdi -I trust oem honda parts more.If you want the best quality sprockets try dirt tricks iromman sprockets with a good chain.I have 5000 miles of mixed on-off road and parts still look new.I use triflon or dupont dry film lube and all parts stay clean.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014