Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 04:31 AM   #31
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,487
A lot of time and effort mate, good for you Travis.

I bet you can not wait to ride it.
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #32
graygoat657
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
.Parts I am running and would suggest-A early xr400 cdi box.Slightly advanced at all rpms + 1000 more before the limiter kicks in.I got a new oem honda cdi -I trust oem honda parts more.
Not to thread jack, but how did you source the correct XR400 CDI. I have had several Honda sources try to locate the correct XR 400 CDI, but they have all been superseded to the later model CDI part #.
graygoat657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #33
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
Lostsaffa-the rumor on the Borynack files is that the stiffest (off road race) set up copies the PC set up on shim stacks and valving.I have no way of checking on this claim .My xrr is set up with the soft single track setup with the info from that file.I had a local guy do my suspension work but I have been thinking of getting another set of forks/shock and doing another set-up at home .Current style is usd forks-but with the amount of seal leakage on the usd forks I think a good set of set up xrr forks will give more service life with less maintenance.I posted the info for the xrr fans to use if they want.You will have an awesome bike when done-the work quality is 10 out of 10.Parts I am running and would suggest-A early xr400 cdi box.Slightly advanced at all rpms + 1000 more before the limiter kicks in.I got a new oem honda cdi -I trust oem honda parts more.If you want the best quality sprockets try dirt tricks iromman sprockets with a good chain.I have 5000 miles of mixed on-off road and parts still look new.I use triflon or dupont dry film lube and all parts stay clean.
Thanks oldxr that's great info!

I was lucky that my bike came with a Vortex programmable CDI with a power and traction setting. They are made in Australia and from my experience are a perfect match for the power of the big XR. Apparently they are less useful on a standard engine though. I am not sure how this compares to the xr400 CDI rev limiter etc.

I have heard a lot about the ironman sprockets and will certainly go that way soon, however as the original bike had renthal and DID combo I'm going with that for the first set to do the build justice (attention to detail also costs more too :()
Old 07-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #34
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO View Post
A lot of time and effort mate, good for you Travis.

I bet you can not wait to ride it.
Thanks Kasa, it's getting there. The more I see it looking so clean with all the new stuff the less I want to ride it to be honest!

It's always strange seeing an old bike slowly become new again, because the urge to keep it like that stays strong. In saying that it will go like stink and bikes are for riding so it will get used plenty, and I will just try and stay on top of its condition - or I will just buy another one for riding haha
Old 07-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #35
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
The batwing in the air box on the bike with the Ohlins shock is not a common attempt.It is an original batwing from PC.That is how the HRC bikes looked. Mung
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #36
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Thanks for the info Mung, I have updated my original post.

Tell me a little about your bike, I see you have posted these photos but didn't mention much about your bike and when and what it was built for. I have seen two cases of the 'Baja Batwing' I posted originally (one on a works bike still in storage) and only yours with that design, so I had to decide that the former was original.

Perhaps they tried and changed the design each year so it evolved? Not sure but I will be interested to know more. Also the bit I stated about increased high rpm performance may be incorrect too, there seems to be some who suggest it was for low down rpm to smooth the power.

If only the XRR was being raced now with Internet knowledge and photography of today, it would be a lot easier to research!

Cheers

Lostsaffa screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 04:45 PM
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #37
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

The Mikey Childress 3.2 gallon IMS dry-break tank arrived today, and here's the bike :)

As you can see I still need to do the HRC air box cut out modification on my new side panel - planning on buying XRSonly's kit and using a Dremmel to do the surgery

Lostsaffa screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 02:39 PM
Old 07-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #38
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Batwing and bike

That picture is from my 05. My 2000 was stock motor with suspension work and all the goodies.My 05 has ported head with stock valves,12-1 piston,Hot Cam 2,full pc ceramic coated exhaust.It is used in Idaho desert with usually 2-3 Baja trips a year.Even with the high compression I have never had a problem with the burro pee you sometimes get in Baja.I think the cam knocks a bit off the compression so that is why it can live.It is a very strong motor that starts easy and is smooth and very fast in a sneaky way.With the batwing I noticed easier starting and smoother power but the best thing about it it makes jetting a breeze.Idaho I use a 175 main and Baja I use a 180 main.That is the only change I ever make from sea level to 9k feet.Does not ping,overheat,stall[even with 15-46 gears],get hard to start or have any other bad manners. Has a lot of miles with no problems at all. Mark
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #39
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,139
Now that's a dream bike! is it street legal?

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #40
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Legality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
Now that's a dream bike! is it street legal?
It sure is! It is an Australian spec fully road legal XRR and I plan on using some cleverly discreet and easily removable indicator and license plate bolt ons. The idea will be to use it off road only but It is still worth keeping the rego as most of the riding here is in state forest which requires roadworthy bikes.

You might notice the chain guard brackets fitted on the LHS of the swingarm. To get past the laws you need the plastic guard fitted to pass the inspection, but most people remove them right away afterwards.

Lostsaffa screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 02:39 PM
Old 07-30-2013, 01:22 AM   #41
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

The IMS tank and forks from Mikey Childress's Baja race bike arrived this week so the forks are off for a service soon as they have been sat for a while. They do feel totally different to my stock forks though, even just pushing on them.

The tank is the 3.2 gallon natural dry-break tank. IMS told me that around 2002 they changed the plastic so that the natural tank would not discolour as much from the fuel, and I am not sure if mine is post/pre that change. Either way it looks nice right now

There is still some tweaking to do under the plastics including fitting the Fluidyne radiators once they arrive (and when I can afford them!), but I have put the plastics on to get some photos and below are the results so far:

Lostsaffa screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 02:40 PM
Old 07-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #42
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,333
what's with the expansion chamber just before the silencer? i would also like to see how your air filter works in the airbox with that batwing.

looks nice. keep up the good work.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #43
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
what's with the expansion chamber just before the silencer? i would also like to see how your air filter works in the airbox with that batwing.

looks nice. keep up the good work.

laramie
It's for more powa! The XRSonly looks like the same pipe minus the silencer.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #44
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
It's for more powa! The XRSonly looks like the same pipe minus the silencer.
As Crypto says, it is a power gain. In short these were never sold to the open market and were purely race pipes designed specifically for the XRR'S and its Baja participation, and below is the difference between the mass-produced Pro Circuit of a similar age:

XR's only was essentially a copy of the same design as the Pro Circuit (race pipe). You will notice mine has the 'quiet' insert which makes the exit a little smaller. This is fitted so that when I do eventually fire her up I don't give my elderly neighbours a heart attack! The race pipe is the full diameter of the chrome tip you can see in the photos.

Interestingly my system is an XR's only header as I couldn't find the headers to buy separately. I have however since managed to get my hands on the full PC system which was on the exact 1x Baja winning bike from 2005 that I am replicating, so the build will be even better than a replica, so far I have forks, tank, front brake and exhaust system that all have connection with the real bike or its riders. :)

Lostsaffa screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 02:40 PM
Old 07-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #45
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
As Crypto says, it is a power gain. In short these were never sold to the open market and were purely race pipes designed specifically for the XRR'S and its Baja participation, and below is the difference between the mass-produced Pro Circuit of a similar age:

XR's only was essentially a copy of the same design as the Pro Circuit. You will notice mine has the 'quiet' insert which makes the exit a little smaller. This is fitted so that when I do eventually fire her up I don't give my elderly neighbours a heart attack! The race pipe is the full diameter of the chrome tip you can see in the photos.

Interestingly my system is an XR's only header as I couldn't find the headers to buy separately. I have however since managed to get my hands on the full PC system which was on the exact 1x Baja winning bike from 2005 that I am replicating, so the build will be even better than a replica, so far I have forks, tank, front brake and exhaust system that all have connection with the real bike or its riders. :)
Not that it matters, but I am pretty sure my xrso pipe (race edition) is similar to the one on the right with the larger chamber, except I think it has a larger silencer as well. So I don't believe the xros are copies of the mass produced pipe on the left.

That build is looking sweet. It is destined to be put on display behind glass, with really hot chicks gaurding it.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote