Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #31
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,420
I don't like the styling on the LC. I like the way an 1150 GSA looks, quirky as it may be. I love the bulbous tank actually made out of metal, I just like the utilitarian nature of it.

I'm sure the new GS runs great. As does the Multistrada, LC8s, Explorers, etc... If I was looking for a new bike, I can't say for sure that I'd go with the BMW.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #32
DiamondLie
Banned

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfool View Post
At the moment I prefer the ac over the lc because I believe less is more, except in the case of money or drugs. That is until I ride one. Then who knows. I understand the things about the wc that make it technically better then the ac. Till then I will suffer with my HP2 and the less is more ideal. Richard.
Riding one doesn't provide the final answer either unfortunately. My take away after spending 3+ hours on one (80/20 - pavement/dirt) is that there is certainly more power (OK, quite a bit more!), less weight, less bulk between the knees, a tighter ergonomic package (not a good thing for this 6'3", 34" inseam rider) and, oh yeah, did I mention MORE POWER?

Seriously, my biggest take away was how much more 'alive' and peppy the motor felt. Hopping back on my trusty GSA Oily Camhead she never felt so slow! The demo bike I rode did not have the ESA/semi-active suspension so I can't comment on that.

I think the new WC GS is a better street bike than any previous iteration of the machine. That being said each individual rider will have to decide if that is indeed progress or actually BMW moving in the wrong direction for this particular bike.
DiamondLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #33
Centurion210
Attitude Indicator

Oddometer: 84
I test rode a LC GS when I had taken mine to the dealership for regular maintenance back in May. After the test ride, on the way home, my 2012 Hexhead felt like a tractor compared to the new LC GS...

I can only say, after owning two oilheads (2008, 2012), that the engine may have lost some of its lovable boxer character. However the new GS, in my opinion, is more agile, feels much lighter in terms of maneuverability and steering and the engine is much stronger and smoother. Mind you, I only had an hour-long ride on the new one so take my observation with a grain of salt...
Old 07-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #34
oldfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
AC vs LC

One way to make your bike more peppy is less weight improving the power to weight ratio. I can't say for sure yet but I'm pretty sure off-road the new bike is toast compared to the hp2. Richard...........
oldfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #35
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 341
I like the new chassis layout of the LC, especially with the seat necked down considerably, which would make it easier to touch down in the rough.

Other than that, I do still love my 08 and appreciate not having to deal with a water pump/rad system, ability to use standard car oil in the motor, tractor like performance in the dirt, has good crashability and I know the thing pretty much inside and out (minus clutch and FD repair).

But if I were to entertain a ADV bike with a Radiator, I would give the other brand offerings a real strong look before deciding. I have no brand loyalty to BMW nor GS, but the GS sets the bar so high....especially if one uses it beyond paved roads, I would be surprised if anyone else got it even close.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #36
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfool View Post
One way to make your bike more peppy is less weight improving the power to weight ratio. I can't say for sure yet but I'm pretty sure off-road the new bike is toast compared to the hp2. Richard...........
Don't bet on it though.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #37
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,420
More "agile" is not always the best thing. I find the 1150s to be very neutral handling, but also very stable. They have a great planted feeling no matter the condition. My 09 GSA was more "agile", but it was also more skittish on the highway, more upset mid turn by road surface changes, far more sketchy at more severe lean angles. I tried different tires, but it was all basically the same. To me, for the type of bike it is, the geometry change was a step in the wrong direction. Then again, everyone has different things in mind for how they ride their bike, styles, etc. For me, it was a less confidence inspiring, and more tiring bike to ride long distance.

If I was just buying a 1200 as an around the town bike, occasional short trips, then I'd get a non-GSA and just rip around on it and not care. When I want something that I do long hours on, multi-day, etc, I want the more stable bike.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #38
Centurion210
Attitude Indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
More "agile" is not always the best thing. I find the 1150s to be very neutral handling, but also very stable. They have a great planted feeling no matter the condition. My 09 GSA was more "agile", but it was also more skittish on the highway, more upset mid turn by road surface changes, far more sketchy at more severe lean angles.
You make a very good point; I can't argue with that. That may be why BMW decided to dampen the steering on the 2014 model-year GS...
Old 07-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #39
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Very interesting to read this thread.

Because it is funny to read for example a guy that has changed THREE GSes for the same period I kept the same and still talking about "bike not having the GS feeling" or "being too plastic" or "having too much technology"...

You guys really... I mean come on.

12GS (pre-13), was still a very plastic bike with too much technology (for at least half the years since its introduction). And? They sold 170k of that.
Also see what the others did... They tried to do the same and go further. Must mean something...

1150GS. Personally I hated it. Never looked a boxer GS before the 12GS. I was still respecting (and still respect) what it "sells" (which is a bit different from what 12GS "sells" AND ALSO different from what 1100GS "sells"... something 1150GS people tend to forget).

We are all different people. Whatever floats your boat.
Personally after 11 years with GSes and on just my second, I say I love the new WGS.
USUALLY a newer model is an IMPROVEMENT. Yes CD was an improvement over vinyl (esp. after a few CD generations in mastering, new CODECs etc.). GET OVER IT.

I am not looking for excuses to not like it. Yes it is a first year model, yes it has issues, yes I don't have the money. If I did, I would have it right now.

Simple.

If someone reads this thread will thing that everybody has a 100 G/S here.

NLS screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 12:39 PM
Old 07-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #40
Centurion210
Attitude Indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Very interesting to read this thread.

Because it is funny to read for example a guy that has changed THREE GSes for the same period I kept the same and still talking
If you are referring to me, I am not on my third GS; I only test rode the '13 and for what it's worth, i do think it's better and indeed improved for the type of riding I do. Plastics don't bother me one bit.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #41
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion210 View Post
If you are referring to me, I am not on my third GS; I only test rode the '13 and for what it's worth, i do think it's better and indeed improved for the type of riding I do. Plastics don't bother me one bit.
No didn't talk about you. I know quite few that fit there.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #42
65SlashTwo
Da Pigu

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Skies View Post
I prefer my AC for one reason. It's payed for.
+1
65SlashTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #43
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Motorcycle Consumer News reviewed the Water Pig this month, and their biggest single complaint was something no one else has brought up: it requires premium gas, something not always available in the third world areas. I've been on this forum long enough, and have explored the back threads enough, to realize so many of you really do some serious globe-trotting. So that's an issue.

Today I rode south, up around Trapper's Loop, around the Pineview Reservoir, and started heading up the North Ogden Divide. They had just laid down gravel on it, in preparation for a fresh coating of asphalt; I "wisely" turned around and went another way, as there are some sharp curves with steep dropoffs. Then NLS posted this:
OMFG!
Okay, I'm turning my Man Card over to you guys; just burn it. I'll just sit here quietly in my recliner and watch reruns of Jeopardy...
Botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #44
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 413
I will take the '95 oil cooler I have although I like any of them.
  1. I was able to pay cash for it;
  2. It is not losing value anywhere near as fast as a new bike;
  3. I can do much of the work on it myself.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #45
JM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botch View Post
I "wisely" turned around and went another way, as there are some sharp curves with steep dropoffs. Then NLS posted this:
OMFG!
Okay, I'm turning my Man Card over to you guys; just burn it. I'll just sit here quietly in my recliner and watch reruns of Jeopardy...
Just a guess here but I doubt if he's making payments and plans on keeping that bike for quite a while.

Does the phrase "ride it like a rental" sound familiar to anyone?

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote