ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #46
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 7,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botch View Post
Motorcycle Consumer News reviewed the Water Pig this month, and their biggest single complaint was something no one else has brought up: it requires premium gas, something not always available in the third world areas. I've been on this forum long enough, and have explored the back threads enough, to realize so many of you really do some serious globe-trotting. So that's an issue.


The manual that came with my bike says 89 AKI (95 ROZ/RON). That is mid grade, not premium. The wording does say "Super unleaded" which probably is the source of some confusion.

There is also a long blurb about "Alternate fuel quality". The tl;dr version is that BMW can change the programming on your bike to use 87 AKI (91 ROZ/RON).

If this is another MCN screw up it validates why I let my subscription lapse. Maybe that's why no one else brought it up.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #47
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
I will take the '95 oil cooler I have although I like any of them.
  1. I was able to pay cash for it;
  2. It is not losing value anywhere near as fast as a new bike;
  3. I can do much of the work on it myself.
Valid points for a 95.
It is just weird when it comes from people with a 15 years later model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
Just a guess here but I doubt if he's making payments and plans on keeping that bike for quite a while.

Does the phrase "ride it like a rental" sound familiar to anyone?
True he is not.
Still, does show some things.
It does say to you "you can do one fifth of that, don't worry that much about it".
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #48
nwpa
Generally amused
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Along the Great Lakes
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post


The manual that came with my bike says 89 AKI (95 ROZ/RON). That is mid grade, not premium. The wording does say "Super unleaded" which probably is the source of some confusion.
You are correct. In the US "Octane" is "AKI", with grades usually/often of 87, 89, and and 91.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #49
mkletecka OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: dana point, ca.
Oddometer: 286
What I liked/don’t like about the LC/GS.

To sum up my differences, I guess Albert Enstien says it best, "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

For me, the LC/GS has slightly improved ergonomics, wind protection and cruise control (what a great feature). As for its increased power (which can really be felt), the only place I’d use it would be on the highway, going around trucks and because I’m not into wheelies, I’d always keep the LC/GS in the “rain” mode. Also, its added power will not make me go any faster through the curvy, canyon roads, because its rider skill that dictates that.

What “I” (one reporters opinion) don’t like about the LC/GS, is that it acts/behaves “more like” a Japanese/Ducati up-right sport bike (both are great motorcycle companies), and it “has/almost” gotten too far away from the tried & proven previous version.

In closing, half of me likes the new the LC/GS, but the bigger half of me prefers the previous version (different strokes for different folks).
mkletecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #50
tmgs
...Trailers are for Boats
 
tmgs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: N. E. Georgia, Space Coast FL.(sometimes)
Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botch View Post
Motorcycle Consumer News reviewed the Water Pig this month, and their biggest single complaint was something no one else has brought up: it requires premium gas, something not always available in the third world areas.
as in third world areas right here in the U.S. , I have been to many stations across this country that only had regular not even mid grade!
tmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #51
tmgs
...Trailers are for Boats
 
tmgs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: N. E. Georgia, Space Coast FL.(sometimes)
Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkletecka View Post
What I liked/don’t like about the LC/GS.

To sum up my differences, I guess Albert Enstien says it best, "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

For me, the LC/GS has slightly improved ergonomics, wind protection and cruise control (what a great feature)
ok I wasn't even thinking about cruise when I said it had nothing for me, now that is the one thing I still miss about my LT! is cruise, is it enough to buy a new GS, no, but it does peak my interest!

Quote:
As for its increased power (which can really be felt), the only place I’d use it would be on the highway, going around trucks and because I’m not into wheelies, I’d always keep the LC/GS in the “rain” mode. Also, its added power will not make me go any faster through the curvy, canyon roads, because its rider skill that dictates that.

What “I” (one reporters opinion) don’t like about the LC/GS, is that it acts/behaves “more like” a Japanese/Ducati up-right sport bike (both are great motorcycle companies), and it “has/almost” gotten too far away from the tried & proven previous version.

In closing, half of me likes the new the LC/GS, but the bigger half of me prefers the previous version (different strokes for different folks).
so far I feel the same, but I have not rode it , and will shy away from it now that I remember it has cruise!

repeat to self, do not need a new GS do not need a new GS do not need a new GS
tmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #52
moosemeat
Gnarly Adventurer
 
moosemeat's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: New England
Oddometer: 261
put yout lc on a lift and look it over very closely. tell us what you find.............................
moosemeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #53
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer
 
abruzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: The New Mexico Desert
Oddometer: 981
As a 1150 owner, I noticed that moving the intake to the top of the head means I'll never be able to use the cylinders as leg rests on the long boring stuff. Of course the layout of the 1200 air cooled makes that difficult as well.

Geof
__________________
--
http://tigertriple.com/
abruzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #54
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 7,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemeat View Post
put yout lc on a lift and look it over very closely. tell us what you find.............................
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:15 AM   #55
wbrisett
hmmm....
 
wbrisett's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Austin
Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
In the last year I have gone through a KLR not enough top end, A Triumph Tiger XC 800 too much heat and poor suspension, and now the LC.
I got rid of my Tiger XC 800 and bought a GSA for nearly the same reason. While the heat didn't bother me (I also use to ride a Buell Ulysses), the suspension was useless on the Tiger. For all the pluses of the Tiger, the suspension is a huge liability that I just couldn't take. The GSA I replaced it with was simply a better bike for my needs.

Wayne
__________________
2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure (back to one bike)
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #56
(I^2)R/746
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Oddometer: 53
I'm considering a trip to Australia for a month next January and would ship my bike. With this in mind I "upgraded" my '01 R1150GS with 93k on the clock to an '02 R1150GS with 24k on the clock. Why? Cleaner (for customs/import as I've heard they are picky), less overall miles, slightly better setup. Hopefully this doesn't bite me as the 50k point seems to be MTBF (mean time before failure) on certain components.

Why not a new one?
-I could pay cash.
-Significantly less complexity.
-Better worldwide support.

When the new ones get a few model years down the road (and they get the bugs sorted) I'll consider one. For the current time having the machine work all the time is more important than power or handling. Those things can be addressed to a large degree.
(I^2)R/746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #57
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany
 
MoxNix's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Stuttgart DE
Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfool View Post
One way to make your bike more peppy is less weight improving the power to weight ratio. I can't say for sure yet but I'm pretty sure off-road the new bike is toast compared to the hp2. Richard...........
Anytime GS' are compared and power is the issue the HP2 is mentioned.

[clarenceincomingtoamerica]There they go, every time I start talkin 'bout boxing, a white man got to pull Rocky Marciano out their ass.[/clarenceincomingtoamerica]

The HP2E the Rocky Marciano of the GS world!
__________________
Hope is not a course of action.
MoxNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #58
tornillo
Motojunkie.
 
tornillo's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Paradise...(melbourne-AUS)
Oddometer: 370
I had the opportunity of riding both the same day an hour each, GSA & LC.
the Lc felt faster, lighter on the controls but at the same time they felt cheap, the indicators were a bit of a pain, kind of more nimble; the looks is a bit too modern for me but maybe will grow on me.
The Gsa felt big, solid and very smooth, the are very different bikes, different souls.
On the day i made my decision and got the Gsa, fast??? how fast you want a bike with all the speed limits??.... Smooth?? oh yeah I like smooth!!

And in my opinion the GSA is like an Ikon of MOTORCYCLE, I reckon the LC is loosing a bit of that.
tornillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #59
portablejohn
Sociophobe
 
portablejohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Delaware
Oddometer: 1,174
I just don't like Propylene glycol, or whatever the antifreeze is these days. I'm always afraid a dog will drink it.
portablejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #60
hammick
Beastly Adventurer
 
hammick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
As a 1150 owner, I noticed that moving the intake to the top of the head means I'll never be able to use the cylinders as leg rests on the long boring stuff. Of course the layout of the 1200 air cooled makes that difficult as well.

Geof
I can rest my legs on my GSW just fine. No need for highway pegs.
__________________
2015 R1200 GSA
2013 F800GT
2013 KTM 500 XC-W
hammick is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014