User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Rockmuncher OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Big Bearing

Waiting for parts to rebuild my final drive. I decided to check the spacing to see if I'm in need of different shims or not. It seems that the consensus on big bearing failure is due to excessive preloading. Watched this video : http://www.bmwlt.com/uploads/lt_final_drive_rebuild.wmv
He says the preload should be .005 to .010.
What do the masses say?
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,776
Did your old bearing fail & how many miles?
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
Steve W.
Boxer Pilot

Oddometer: 286
"Taper roller bearing preload mm (in) 0.05 ... 0.1 (0.0020 ... 0.0039)"

Yes that is correct. Quoted per the service manual.

FWIW when I did my 01 GS the factory shims were a .6 and a .15. After replacing the bearing and measuring the play I went back with only the .6 to give it a preload of .08. That was about 8k miles ago. The consensus is the factory got them too tight. Mine did not fail but the old bearing was way "looser" than the new one. I did this as a proactive measure at 50k mi.

Cheers
Steve 01GS 78S

Steve W. screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 05:36 PM
Steve W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Ditto

My rebuild also had one shim removed to bring it into spec as it was too tight. They certainly go with a bang and rumble when they fail!

Old 07-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIXR View Post
My rebuild also had one shim removed to bring it into spec as it was too tight. They certainly go with a bang and rumble when they fail!

Egaaaaaaaaaaaaads, that's ugly.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
Waiting for parts to rebuild my final drive. I decided to check the spacing to see if I'm in need of different shims or not. It seems that the consensus on big bearing failure is due to excessive preloading. Watched this video : http://www.bmwlt.com/uploads/lt_final_drive_rebuild.wmv
He says the preload should be .005 to .010.
What do the masses say?
I say that you got your decimal point wrong. Move it one place to the right. Also, I assume you are quoting Metric.

My '01 GS REProm says "Taper roller bearing preload mm (in) 0.05 ... 0.1 (0.0020 ... 0.0039).

If I were doing the repair, I would preload to the lower end of the specification say, 0.05mm to 0.07 mm. Also, measure when at room temperature.

Are you going to document your work with photos? Please do and report back here. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
Rockmuncher OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Did your old bearing fail & how many miles?
The bearing failed, but not catastrophically. I noticed a new vibration in the seat and pegs mostly. After trying to convince myself it was everything but a FD problem, i actually checked it. Definitely a wobble at 12-6. After I took it apart and held the bearing in my hand, I could feel play in the bearing. Cage is still together with all the balls in place. Seal not leaking and no metal filings in the oil.
41000 miles. I've had the bike since 24000 and believe this to be the original bearing.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #8
Rockmuncher OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
I say that you got your decimal point wrong. Move it one place to the right. Also, I assume you are quoting Metric.

My '01 GS REProm says "Taper roller bearing preload mm (in) 0.05 ... 0.1 (0.0020 ... 0.0039).

If I were doing the repair, I would preload to the lower end of the specification say, 0.05mm to 0.07 mm. Also, measure when at room temperature.

Are you going to document your work with photos? Please do and report back here. Thanks.
Thanks Def, you're right about the decimal and metric.
Going to the looser side of the specs was my thought too. I wonder how many get put together in the factory using the hot bearing, cold crown gear method and aren't allowed to get to room temp before checking the preload. They probably have a whole different setup I guess. Probably involves checking one of every 50 to 100 units. Might explain a lot of failures.
I'll take some pics along the way and put them up.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #9
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,393
I just did the big bearing in my final, I did not alter the shims for two reasons:

1. The measured difference in thickness between the old and new bearings was .01mm - the old bearing was thicker.

2. With the new bearing installed and the axle/carrier reassembled and everything at the same temperature, I checked the gear interface with Prussian blue dye and had a good contact pattern on both the ring and pinion. The new contact and old wear patterns were identical, and this drive has gone ~112k miles, so I'm confident everything is happy.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
I just did the big bearing in my final, I did not alter the shims for two reasons:

1. The measured difference in thickness between the old and new bearings was .01mm - the old bearing was thicker.

2. With the new bearing installed and the axle/carrier reassembled and everything at the same temperature, I checked the gear interface with Prussian blue dye and had a good contact pattern on both the ring and pinion. The new contact and old wear patterns were identical, and this drive has gone ~112k miles, so I'm confident everything is happy.
Interesting..something I've never heard anyone talk about yet..the CONTACT PATCH!!!

The contact patch is everything in the automotive world..does it not matter on FD's as long as the preload is within a wide range??
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Interesting..something I've never heard anyone talk about yet..the CONTACT PATCH!!!

The contact patch is everything in the automotive world..does it not matter on FD's as long as the preload is within a wide range??
I think it does. Moving the contact patch around via shims puts pressure on different points of the tooth faces. If you go too far away from the (for lack of a better term) sweet spot, you can do serious damage to the gears, and no amount of fresh bearings or oil will resolve that.

Adjusting the contact patch is nothing I'd like to get into, I've got only enough experience to say if it looks good or not. If I'd found an unsat condition, I would have brought it to a transmission shop for their opinion.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,310
Ive often wondered if anyone alters the pinion depth when measuring and rebuilding a final drive.

Ill assume the bearing on it is shimmed for adjustment as well.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
Ive often wondered if anyone alters the pinion depth when measuring and rebuilding a final drive.

Ill assume the bearing on it is shimmed for adjustment as well.
During FD repair, the factory REProm provides details as to setting the following parameters;

1- Setting Crown Wheel Bearing preload.
2- Setting the gear tooth contact pattern.
3- Setting pinion to crown wheel backlash.
4- Shimming pinion to crown gear.

When replacing the crown wheel bearing, you need only be concerned about #1.

If you have removed and or replaced any gears, housings or other FD parts, you'll need to be concerned with #2, #3 and or #4.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
1- Setting Crown Wheel Bearing preload.

When replacing the crown wheel bearing, you need only be concerned about #1.

Correct, because the cone bearing prevents any change in depth, not the big bearing.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,310
So the cone bearing is #7 on the parts fiche?

"needle sleeve 15x30x18"

there are shims behing the large bearing on the pinion though.

im just wondering, if the factory did not set up the big bearing preload correctly, would it be logical to assume they have gear mesh set incorrectly as well?
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote