ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
rossguzzi OP
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 878
Highwaydirtbikes gear.

I have just come accross these guys. I`m interested in the billet hand guards and mirrors.
Anyone confirm they fit no probs to a 06 990 Adv ?
I am real pissed that I have only found this stuff now. I sold a perfectly good Scotts damper recently. It was off my 450 EXC. I was under the impression the only way i could use it was to get the whole top clamp for it from some one else to fit on.
Now I see HDB have a bracket that fits the KTM top clamp and then you just bolt your Scotts to it. $75 !! Arrrgh.

Anyone used one of these?

Cheers.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
I have just come accross these guys. I`m interested in the billet hand guards and mirrors.
Anyone confirm they fit no probs to a 06 990 Adv ?
I am real pissed that I have only found this stuff now. I sold a perfectly good Scotts damper recently. It was off my 450 EXC. I was under the impression the only way i could use it was to get the whole top clamp for it from some one else to fit on.
Now I see HDB have a bracket that fits the KTM top clamp and then you just bolt your Scotts to it. $75 !! Arrrgh.

Anyone used one of these?

Cheers.
There is a thread here on the stuff, all very positive, and fits 950/990. I have some of their items on my 525 and 300, but nothing on 990 or 950. It's all great quality and I've had exceptional customer service from them. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending their stuff to anyone.
My only beef is purely semantics, the hand-guards are not really billet. (Other items they manufacture are). Plenty of companies misuse the term billit so can't fault them, as they are only falling inline with I suppose the re-definition of the term for marketing. Just expect better from engineers as it looks like these guys are.
Sheep Shagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,331
Mine bolted right up, no bending needed. Very sturdy. Got the mirror, too.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Mine fitted without much issue, I did tweek mine with the aid of a vice but, it was minor, I have the mirrors fitted as well and was suprised at how good they were especially at speed. If I have a complaint its that mine have been on for a couple of months now and the fastners are already going rusty, the quality of the kit is top flight but the nuts and bolts are rubbish, not just poor but complete rubbish, already swaped mine out for stainless. Its a minor fault but I would be prepared to pay extra for good quality nuts and bolts.

Their switchs are also top notch no complaint there.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
fastners are already going rusty, the quality of the kit is top flight but the nuts and bolts are rubbish,
Agreed. I've put in a couple of these (and just ordered a set) and toss the fasteners on arrival. I also use nylock nuts on the mirror fasteners on the front of the handguards.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
The handguards and top clamps are the strongest and most functional setup out there, but forget about using the HDB damper sub mount. This will only fit on triples that have the have a flat handlebar mounting surface like the EXCs, but not the stock 950/990 ADV/SE triples.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
The handguards and top clamps are the strongest and most functional setup out there, but forget about using the HDB damper sub mount. This will only fit on triples that have the have a flat handlebar mounting surface like the EXCs, but not the stock 950/990 ADV/SE triples.
Good to know, thanks Lukas. Just yesterday my finger was hovering over that item with intention of adding to my cart.

Like so many moto sites, the products are the best, but the website, product info and photography?- not so much.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 07-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
Great product, great vendor. That said, I think on the 950 I'd give the nod to Neduro's DoubleTake mirrors.

Check out this thread and good luck!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552023
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Imachimper
Newer than Noob

Oddometer: 129
One of the best things I have done, and I was on the fence to pull the trigger. It may be just me, but I feel like there is just a little better protection from the wind over the stock guards.

Cool shit.

Imachimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
KTMbageera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
HDB Quality

Get the Beefy HD guards for your 990. Have dropped my 990R twice on mine with not a tweak or bend. Solid equipment for sure. The mirrors are a must for me too. They work at speed, are adjustable sufficient for proper viewing, and they fold away so they don't break off road or spear you in the liver or spleen on your way over the bars.

I have pretzeled Cycra Pros, Bark Busters, and Moose guards. These are cool in black too.
KTMbageera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
rossguzzi OP
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Thanks, i feel better now.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Its a minor fault but I would be prepared to pay extra for good quality nuts and bolts.
I got mine last week and went to the hardware store to buy a complete set of non-rubbish fasteners prior to installation. Total bill was $10.36, including a few extra 5mm button head screws.

Great fit, finish- terrific product.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 07-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 710
Excellent set up. Replace the bolts with hex heads and USE ANTI SEIZE.

Only thing bad I can say. Its good stuff other than the bolts.
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,497
I have them on every single bike I own. Should answer the question...

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Agreed. I've put in a couple of these (and just ordered a set) and toss the fasteners on arrival. I also use nylock nuts on the mirror fasteners on the front of the handguards.
I have three sets on bikes. The bolt set was top quality and the nuts I received for the mirrors were nylock.

Quote:
I got mine last week and went to the hardware store to buy a complete set of non-rubbish fasteners prior to installation. Total bill was $10.36, including a few extra 5mm button head screws.
I highly doubt you could duplicate, let alone improve, the total bolt set Paul sends out for just $10. The bolts aren't your standard off the shelf hardware store quality. The guard bolts are 12.9 grade, top shelf.

Quote:
Like so many moto sites, the products are the best, but the website, product info and photography?- not so much.
I suppose if you were shopping on eHarmony then the website, product info and photography would be of top importance but hey, we're talking motorcycle hardware. Top quality product and that's what we're all after.

Dave