Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #31
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Subscribed.
Good posts and a nice start on the RR.
I'm planning a trip with my 950 on almost the same route from Europe to Vladivostok for the summer of 2014. I'm curious to see how things turn out for you.

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #32
cones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
subscribed.

sounds like a blast to do something like this while in early 20's.

good luck on your way through russia. maybe visit my home town in the far east

it gets pretty chilly and wet in october, but i do not remember snow fall until november. then again, i havent been there in over 13 years
cones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #33
Lindbeck OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
One of many beautiful churches in Kiev
Lindbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #34
Lindbeck OP
Adventurer

Near the entrance in sofiaka in uman

Aother picture from sofiaka
Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #35
Lindbeck OP
Adventurer

Beach in Odessa

Kiev

Kiev at night

Mads:)

Beautiful view from Sergiy and natashas terrace
Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #36
Lindbeck OP
Adventurer

Mads cheking his front wheel

Mads me and Sergiy

Mads me and Natasha

When we left Sergiys place

The pictures are not in right order sorry
Old 08-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #37
Lindbeck OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cones View Post
subscribed.

sounds like a blast to do something like this while in early 20's.

good luck on your way through russia. maybe visit my home town in the far east

it gets pretty chilly and wet in october, but i do not remember snow fall until november. then again, i havent been there in over 13 years

Whats the name of your hometown?
I hope we are out of russia before its 2 cold
Old 08-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #38
Lindbeck OP
Adventurer

update

Hello again. Guess its time for a new update :)

The day after i wrote last time we were getting up packed our stuff and was ready to go. it was really warm so it would be good to get some wind when got out on the road. i startet the bike and was ready to go. and Mads hit his starter button, and the bike made aa funny sound and nothing happened. he tried again and now all the power dissapered. hmm thats not good. it was almost 36 degrees and now i had to fix bike too. dammit. and whit no voltmeter it could be a hard job. we started to check fuses. but everyone was allright. the i shortcuttet the starter relay and nothing happened. so i guess it was the battery. we opened to the battery and saw that he has forgot to tighten the plus connection. so we tighten it and tried again. still nothing happen. hmm we tried to but my batteri on the bike and now all was good so it might be the battery. now a guy named Anton came to us. he almost could no English but aomhow he understood thatwee needed a new battery. so he drove us to the shop were he get his bike fixed so we can buy a new one. and after the replacement of the battery the bike is on the road again. we only drove 200 km that day so we freecamped on a field that night.

The day after we woked early. made som breakfast and drove to Luhansk near the border of Russia. we rented a room in a Hotel so we could have a bath and prepare the paperwork so its ready when we get to the border.

Next day we drove to the border. comming out of Ukraine is very easy. getting in to Russia was a little harder as expected. the looked through our stuff and everything was fine. a man helped us filling our immigration paper so it was good too.we get our pasport stamped so it was fine too. then we get to the next post. they gave os a import paper for the bikes we had to fill. but it was only in Russian. hmm a guy at the border tried to help us filling the paper and after 10 tries it was okay:) but they wouldnt let us in and they couldnt explain why. a guy wrote 100$ on a paper and showed it to me. arh they want money. i said that we had now one and they say we should go home. after an hour of waiting everthing was okay and thay let us in. hmm funny contry. but now we were in russia after 3 hours of waiting at the border.
We drove to a little town called Morozovsk we found a little hostel called Lotus parked the bikes and found some food.
Later that night we met some young people who could english we talked about Russia and our trip and then they wanted us to try Russian Vodka. and we agreed. after two bottles the Russian fellow who wanted to drink couldt talk og walk around anymore:) they were very amazed that we still had it fine. or almost fine ;) then we vent to sleep.

next morning we have a little hangover:) we eat our breakfast and vent to sleep again. when we woked up again. around 11 we started to pack out things to move on. we drove to volgograd. it was late so we found a hotel again.

next day we left the hotel. and drove north. we were trying to find the statue of mother russia. but we couldt. preaty amazing because the statue is nearly 100 meter high. after we gave up the seaching we vent to Engel a little city out of Saratov. we looked around the city and found a nice little hotel.

Day after we drove to Tolyatti. we found a little hotel near Volga. we meet two russian guys at a bench. The wanted to have beer with us so we start drinking again and found us to new friends. the one, Dmitry could a little english so it was good. later the Girl from the reception came out. she was very good at English so we talked for 2 hours. and then it got late so we had to go to Sleep.

The day after we drove to Ufa it was a very long ride and we get tricked by the time difference. nearly 2 hours. and the was very much roadworking so we were very delayed. so we arived in Ufa at midnight. took the first Hotel we could find. and then started to looking for something to eat. we were very hungry at this time. so we just found some pizza. we vent to bed.

The next day we looked around the town and then it was time for leaving. we drove through the Urals it was amazing to see something other than just flat land. we got to Chelyabinsk were we are today. we found a nice hostel with good and friendly people who helped us with getting all our stuff in to the Hostel. we looked around the city and walked into a bikers meeting. looked at all their nice bikes. and the walked around the city untill midnight. then walked back ti the hostel to get some sleep.

Today we would drove to Yekaterinburg to meet a fellow here from advrider i found on the tent space thread here on advrider. His name is Alexander Kuronov and we are very exitited to meet him. He has 2 new tires ready for us so we have to change chains and tires at his place. he has a summerhouse he let us stay in and he want to show us around the city so we hope to learn a lot about Russian Culture the next Few days.

I guess it was all for now
Old 08-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #39
Lindbeck OP
Adventurer

Anton and his friend who helped with the battery

Free camping in Ukraine

Some crazy russians we meet in morozovsk

Some of the russian we meet at the first hostel

Mads playing in the mud

New friends from tolyatti

Me and my bike in the urals

Hostel in Chelyabinsk
Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #40
LusoViking
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Rigtig god tur drenge!

Keep posting those pictures!
LusoViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #41
cones
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindbeck View Post
Whats the name of your hometown?
I hope we are out of russia before its 2 cold
Birobidzhan/Birobidjan.

keep in mind there are heaviest floods in decades in far east russia right now. might mess up your plans for traveling there.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:19 AM   #42
Lindbeck OP
Adventurer

Thumbs down update

Helll again. Finally we found good wifi:) were are in Ulaanbaatar now and its getting a little cold in the nights.

Update.
efter chelyabinsk we went to yekaterinburg to meet i friend i found here on advrider in the tent space thread. He have helped us with ordering some new tires so they were ready to fit.
We were 3 days in the city and stayed at his summerhouse 10km from the town. He and his wife were very open and friendly to us and i will never forget their hospitality. They showed us around the town and some interesting places around.in 2 of the evenings we vent to the dirty place in the town (its a meeting place in the middle of the town were bikers meet every night. We meet a lot of new freinds here. And a guy shoved us around the town on his dirtbike.
The day we had to leave the friend we stayed with (alik) told us he had a freind in Irbit if we wanted to go there to see the motorcycle museum, and of couse we would:) so we went of to Irbit:)

After a little driving around Irbit looking for our hosts house, we found the adress without help, we can't reed cryllic letters so it can be very hard:)

He wasn´t home so we decided to sit and wait. After 15 minutes a guy passed on his transalp and turned around to see our bikes and somehow we made him understand he should help us find the over of the house... and lucky for us he knew him and just called him. 5 minutes later he shoved up on his blue ural. The guy whos nickname is brembo let us in and we started to unpack the bikes. After unpacking he showed us around the town and we bourgh some food and ofcouse vodka for the evenin. And after a very funny evening with learning russian and brembo learning english and danish we vent to sleep.

The day after he took us to the museum/old motorcycle factory. It was very interesting and if you ever are around irbit please go there. The staff is very friendly and can tall a lot of histories about the bikes. There is almost 100 bikes in the collection located different placèin the town. Both urals bmws motor guzzi and some english machines.
He also took us to a war museum. It was interesting too, i found it iteresting to hear about ww2 from the soviet side also. After a long day and funny evening wìofcause vodka:) we vent to sleep and next day we would leave for tyumen.

Before leaving brembo told us we could stay at the clup house of his motorcycleclub and gave us the number for a guy called alex.

When we came to tyumen we called alex and he found us and showed us the way to the club. Few minutes after we were drinking vodka again and alot of people showed up to say hello.

Next morning alex shoved us aroud the town and we meet a lot of frindly people here.

Efter a few days in tyumen we left for tobolsk. Elex had a friend here so we stayed at his house and again we got a private tour around the town. Its a very good way to see town with a local guide :)
Old 09-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #43
Lindbeck OP
Adventurer

Sorry tht is too slow for uploading pictures right now. so that might later.

I forgot to write that we in tyumen met Anna. i Ukrainien Girl who also travel the would on her KTM 1190 Adventure. we meet her in tobolsk too next to the krimlin and talked about our plans. she wants to go to australia to so maybe well meet there.

Efter tolbolsk we headed out for novosibirsk. but on the way Mads had a crash. one of the bags went in to his rear wheel and it blocked so he felt off. it looked preaty wild in my mirror. but very lucky nothing happened to him. but the baggage rack was bent so his rear tank hit his rear svingarm so we had to go slow the last 100km to the next town.. at almost 10pm we reached Ishim and find a hotel. everything was closed so we had to eat noodles before we vent to sleep. next morning we found a mechaning with a big hammer and a long piece of iron to fix the rack and the damaged aloy boxes. the mechaninc called a friend and a little later he came with his english speaking wife. the helped us found a new mirror for the bike. and after they took us to a pancakehouse. and i think its the best pancakes i have ever eat. then they invited us to dinner and banya in the evening.

In the evening we went to their home for a very good dinner. they invited some friends, and we had a lot off beer wich is good for my danish body:) vodka is good. but beer its a lot better :) after banya and some more beers one of the guys took us to a nightclub, and we were partying to the early morn.

After leaving Ishim we get to Omsk. we only sleep here to leave for novosibirsk the next morning. in novosibirsk we found a nice hostel. much better than many hotels we stayed at so far. it was called Zokol. Here we meet some you people from germany and Belarus. we hadd some beers with them and talked about our very different trips.

Next morning it was time for changing oil so we found a mechaninc who let ud do it in front of his place. after a few hours of talking and changing oil the bikes was good to go. we drove around in the town. but there wasnt much to see here.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #44
Lindbeck OP
Adventurer

After novosirsk vi drove to Gorno altaisk. it was very nice when we started to see some mountains enstead of all the flat fields. we slept in gorno altaisk and next morning we wanted to reach the border to mongolia

the next day we packed and vent of to the altai mountains. it was very beutiful and we had a lot stops to take pictures and just enjoy the very nice scenary here, so we didnt reach the border that day. instead we camped in the mountains, and in the night we were visited of 20 wild horses. it was nice to sleep out again. but very cold too. next morning we woke up to a very beutiful sunrise we packed and drove the last 100km to the border.

at the border we were a little confused what to do. but we found out that we should have some paper stamped a little before the custom control. after that the check out of russia was very easy. when we came to the mongolian border we had to hurry. the clock was 6.01pm and they are closing 6.00pm so everything happened very fast and 6.10 we were in mongolia. we drove a little and found a little shed were we could sleep.
I think that night was one of the coldest i ever had. and next morning there was still ice on the bike... freezing cold but in good mood we packed and drove against olgii. it was very good to drive some offroad again and the bikes did very good
Old 11-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #45
cones
Adventurer

did you guys run into issues with the russian far east region being flooded?