ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #91
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I said consult a lawyer, not necessarily hire one. They can tell you how best to go forward in this sticky legal situation even if that doesn't involve them after the consultation. The insurance company isn't necessarily going to act in your best interests as I'm sure you're aware, but the lawyer will tell you what is in your best interest. Many lawyers do free consultations and if not be prepared to pay a whole $100 for an half hour or hour. There's a reason they get paid big, they know a lot of stuff the layperson does not and stuff your insurance company may not tell you for various reasons.
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #92
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg
Tap into America

Oddometer: 487
Just offer to buy the bike back from the Insurance company, all they will do is sell it to a scrap merchant for a few hundred bucks.
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #93
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 384
Seems like it might have been best if it never turned up. I have buddy who's car got stolen from a train station. It was recovered a month later, trashed interior but seemed okay otherwise. He settled with insurance for the damages. The car was a Honda Civic and three months later the engine was shot. We are sure the thieves drove the snot out of it. They were probably racing it around worse than taking the full insurance on a rental car and having a go of it.

Best of luck. Thieves suck!
Graniteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #94
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
This is where having 55 gal drums of Hydrofluoric Acid lying around and a gang of Nazi assassins on speed dial would help. Or what would Heisenberg do?
www.bettercallsaul.com

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #95
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,316
What's sticky about this situation, see if the ins will sell it to you cheap. The accessories are a write off if you weren't paid for them already. If you can get the title for it, all the better, if not part it out or save it as spares. I don't see where a lawyer is going to help you at this point, you got paid for the item which means you accepted the ins settlement, done deal. Now you want to see if you can pick it up at a price that makes it worth buying in it's current cond & title status.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #96
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Ha ha that is awesome! had not seen it. You know they are making a prequel series on him.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #97
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
What's sticky about this situation, see if the ins will sell it to you cheap. The accessories are a write off if you weren't paid for them already. If you can get the title for it, all the better, if not part it out or save it as spares. I don't see where a lawyer is going to help you at this point, you got paid for the item which means you accepted the ins settlement, done deal. Now you want to see if you can pick it up at a price that makes it worth buying in it's current cond & title status.
Exactly.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #98
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
I'm going through the process right now. From what I understand you cannot buy the bike back from the ins company if the claim has been settled, reason being ins companies arent dealers they auction off recovered bikes to dealers.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #99
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 885
I had a similar situation with a stolen car, recovered after the settlement, bought it for next to nothing from the ins co. Went through my ins agent.
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #100
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
I'm going through the process right now. From what I understand you cannot buy the bike back from the ins company if the claim has been settled, reason being ins companies arent dealers they auction off recovered bikes to dealers.
Sounds like it might be a policy your ins co has put in place or the adjuster is hooking up someone he knows.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #101
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Sounds like it might be a policy your ins co has put in place or the adjuster is hooking up someone he knows.

Its Progressive FWIW.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #102
shiftymike
Hooligan Schmooligan

Oddometer: 211
maybe this might be of interest....http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934121

Got Cool? Evaporative Coolers Service & Installation
shiftymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #103
mountain eagle OP
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,901
Well the ordeal is over. I was able to buy the bike back for an almost reasonable $2300 or so. In the meantime I also bought Toddlers old bike for $2100 so now I'll have a SUMO 610 and a TE610 and spares to steal as needed or if needed.

It will take some time, money and work to get them both outfitted in the shape I'll want them but I am glad to have the option.

Allstate was a pain in the ass mostly in regards to using a third party company to make valuations. The bike value was reasonable all in all, but the extras being depreciated by 80% was abusive. The employees all in all did a good job with a difficult and aggravated customer (me ) and in at least one case went well above duty and worked to get me more value all around. As long as they don't go jacking my rates just because I'll stick with them for my other stuff but may request different riders for the bikes or jump to another company for bikes and make sure that should something happen there is a better all around understanding of what values are.

The CSP wouldn't give any info on the theft recovery. I was told by the Allstate that the rider caught with the bike was a minor, so they may subrogate to the parents. I'm fairly sure that person wasn't the thief, but received stolen goods. I would like to hope the chain of custody is being pursued, but I'm not optimistic.

Now to find some garage time to do some basic maintenance..... and get one of them into ready to ride condition.
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #104
Keeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Woulda been nice to get it back whole, but all things considered. Sweet
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. Adrian Rogers
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #105
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain eagle View Post
Well the ordeal is over. I was able to buy the bike back for an almost reasonable $2300 or so. In the meantime I also bought Toddlers old bike for $2100 so now I'll have a SUMO 610 and a TE610 and spares to steal as needed or if needed.
Enjoy my old bike Mountain. The previous owner only kept it 1 year. It was a good bike and allowed me to create some awesome memories. I hope it does the same for you.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote