User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
RiaanGSA OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
New tyres for my 800.

On my 1200GSA, I only used Anakee 2's. I did some serious dirt and track days with the Anakees. MY 800 came of the showroom floor with the Pirelli Scorpion and it is time for replacement. I really wanted to fit the Pirelli Scorpion A/T, but they do not come in a 17" rear.

I had a look at the Metzeler Tourance ( NOT the NEXT) and they look better suited for dirt than the Anakee 2.

I do tar touring with about 10% dirt and sand when touring with my wife ( 650 gs 30yr edition). When having a boys trip we do about 50% + dirt if not more.

What are your views on the Metzeler Tourance? Do you thinki that it will handle the dirt/gravel better than the Anakee 2?
RiaanGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Bumbobee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
My 2013 came with anakee 2 and I hear that it's a pretty good tire. Is the anakee 3 better?
Old 07-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
I just put TKC80 on, an hour ago.
rear came up ZERO balance....
front took 30 grams.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Pirelli scorpion trails did about 600 miles of dirt/gravel roads and the tires did amazingly well.
2014 Ktm 1190 R adventure
2003 Ural
J&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Beairmo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I have Pirelli Scorpions as they came with the 2013 F800GS, but have a new set of TKC80's waiting to be mounted. I just cant justify taking off the Pirelli's as they seem to do very well on the unpaved roads and ride amazing smooth and quiet. Haven't had them completely off road yet though.

Bottom line is that after many hours of forum research I went with the Conti TKC80's as my new tire for my F800GS.....

"If your going through hell...keep going!
(Winston Churchill)
Beairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,817
I have the Pirelli Scorpions and I am really impressed with how well the bike handles on the road. I can lean it over really far and it grips like crazy. However it is scary in sand.

Hurry up and try out the TKC-80's so you can tell everybody here how they compare to the Scorpions.
I'm considering the TKC-80s.
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
mikemaycga
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Anakee 3

My 2012 800GS is on it's third set of tires. Started with the stock Scorpions and broke myself in on those tires. Most of the riding was secondary road touring with some off road. I was impressed with how the tires handled the Tail of the Dragon, and was able to keep up (within sight) of my buddies riding Concours 1400 and Suzuki Bandit on the tight twisties. Then, off road, on the steep fire roads of Mount Kancamangus, they impressed me with ability to climb some steep sections. On the Cape Breton trail, I had no problems with the dirt roads and minor trail riding in wet weather. Overall, I liked them as first tire.

Second set was Anakee II because I wanted a tire that was a bit more aggressive but could still take the paved roads well. The II's were fine for road, although a bit noisier and after 5,000 km, cupping on the front started to impact handling. Not enough to be a problem but noticeable. I did take them into wet off road and they did OK until the terrain went 3 inch puddle with grass and uphill. Then, I may as well have had slicks on. Definitely knobs is the only solution in those conditions.

Third set for a 2 week trip to Colorado, Utah, Arizona was done on Anakee III. I wasn't sure how they would handle the mountain off road but the reviews were positive. I can say that they were spectacular. They would not have survived my puddle/grass/uphill test, but handled snow/rain approach to Imogene pass, plus some of the other passes very well. Plus, they handled the roads extremely well. Tom, our Concours rider took the 800 for a spin and was impressed with how it held the road. When I was "on", I could keep up with the other bikes no problem. I have no hesitation to recommend the Anakee III for any conditions other than mudder. Plus, it looks like the III will take a bit longer to wear down - what's not to like about that?

Will post some video of the III's on Imogene approach road in the snow. Had the bike up to 80km/h in slippery conditions and never experienced a feeling of lack of control and the bit of sliding made the ride fun.
mikemaycga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
I'm on my second rear TKC80 and still on the first front one. The rear is wearing quite a bit due to excessive high-speed runs on the slab and on twisties. (My buddies all with road bikes with road tires were quite impressed with how well I kept up with them.)

Anyway, I've got a set of Anakee 3's ready to go, and will probably install them (myself) after next weekend. The TKC80's have enough life in them that I'd still like to get some good off-road use out of them, but then I'm switching. I don't generally do much off-road that is rough enough to call for a TKC80, so I'm really looking forward to trying the Anakee 3's. If they work well enough on gravel and packed earth, I'll be happy with them as an all around tire. (I had put Anakee 2's on my Tiger 800 and was VERY pleased with them.)

With the kind of riding I do, I'm only getting about 4,000 km out of a rear TKC80 and I'm sure the Anakee 3's would give me double or even more than that.
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemaycga View Post
Will post some video of the III's on Imogene approach road in the snow.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
dsauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Any reviews on the Heidenaus?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,545
You are kidding right?http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568324