User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
Rogue Ranger OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Slip on exhaust canister ideas

Any ideas on a universally available replacement for the exhaust muffler on a R1150GS other than the pricey aftermarket cans. I am still looking for it to be quietish and durable.
Thanks
Rogue Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,590
Some remove the silencer altogether and merely fit a small automobile exhaust turn down tip from the autoparts store. The catalytic converter does much of the silencing and the tip deflects the exhaust away from cases. Cheap and the tips come in chrome.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
RocKrawler
I make wicker cry

Oddometer: 32
^^^ That's an interesting idea... gotta find some pics of that setup

Age doesn’t always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone.
RocKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Some remove the silencer altogether and merely fit a small automobile exhaust turn down tip from the autoparts store. The catalytic converter does much of the silencing and the tip deflects the exhaust away from cases. Cheap and the tips come in chrome.
Def speaketh truth

IMHO this is the best sounding exhaust modification for the 1150GS if you want or need something like that. As Def has said, the cat does the vast majority of the silencing. The exhaust note minus the stock can is only about 10% louder believe it or not but it will have more of a bass rumble about it. Quite a very nice sound.
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
RocKrawler
I make wicker cry

Oddometer: 32
Does the silencer slip off or does it need to be cut off where the turn down tip goes on? And does this mod work on an 1100GS the same as the 1150?

Age doesn’t always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone.
RocKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
Not sure about the 1100. Others will chime in. On the 1150, the stock can just slips off the outlet pipe from the cat. That's the beauty of this, costs almost nothing, sounds great and is reversible in an instant if you don't like it.
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,326
Does that work with the 1200?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Rogue Ranger OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thanks guys I'll give it a try
Rogue Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I believe JVB tried this on his 1200. Hey Jim, what was the result?
Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Aftermarket mufflers; Exhaust tips with a large, ugly can attached and an outrageous price tag.

Automotive exhaust tips are available in a variety of sizes, shapes, curves, coatings and may even be available in alloy or titanium for those who demand other than steel.

Me? If I absolutely, positively needed to remove my muffler and wanted a bit more sound and didn't want to spend hundreds of $s, I would just visit the auto parts store. Or, go to your local muffler shop and have them cut and bend a custom piece then, either paint it or have it chromed....or not. A nice slash cut painted silver might look good on the GS. Maybe even visit a junk yard and look around for a proper tip and save some $s.

As for the 1200s, I'm not familiar with the details of the muffler on these models. Sorry.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Kip, have a close look at your muffler, how it is joined to the bike and how it is attached to the exhaust plumbing, What are the pipe diameters at the joint?

After a visit to the MAX BMW parts listing, it appears that the 1150s and 1200s use a slip on muffler where joined to the CAT. However, check the OD of the pipe where it exits the CAT.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocKrawler View Post
Does the silencer slip off or does it need to be cut off where the turn down tip goes on? And does this mod work on an 1100GS the same as the 1150?
I believe your 1100 model employs a one piece muffler, CAT, pipe that attaches to the front of the exhaust system and therefore, won't accept an exhaust tip turndown.

On the 1150, no cutting of anything is needed and so, the exhaust can be returned to OE at will. The muffler pipe clamp and fastener that hangs the muffler are loosened, the muffler removed...the tip is fitted and the clamp is snugged...nothing more.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Kip, have a close look at your muffler, how it is joined to the bike and how it is attached to the exhaust plumbing, What are the pipe diameters at the joint?

After a visit to the MAX BMW parts listing, it appears that the 1150s and 1200s use a slip on muffler where joined to the CAT. However, check the OD of the pipe where it exits the CAT.
Thanks for your response, def.
Unfortunately the habit of thinking about "improving" my bike, dies hard. I will probably need to be selling it soon, and switching to something much lighter if I keep riding at all.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864566
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Thanks for your response, def.
Unfortunately the habit of thinking about "improving" my bike, dies hard. I will probably need to be selling it soon, and switching to something much lighter if I keep riding at all.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864566
Sorry. We'll miss you but, you'll be back one day after you return from the dark side.

My best riding buddy was a fellow named Kip who got me started in motorcycling in 1959 in a land far, far away.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
CousinDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz62 View Post
Def speaketh truth

IMHO this is the best sounding exhaust modification for the 1150GS if you want or need something like that. As Def has said, the cat does the vast majority of the silencing. The exhaust note minus the stock can is only about 10% louder believe it or not but it will have more of a bass rumble about it. Quite a very nice sound.
I must agree with this. My exhaust can had a loose piece/pipe inside of it, so after reading this post I decided to try deleting it. I AM SO HAPPY I DID! No more rattling can and she sounds right nice too! It cost me a whopping $13.62 (after tax) at Autozone for the parts.

Here is a link to a youtube video I posted today of my results. The description has the part sizes I purchased from Autozone to get the job done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax5iBk5N-JE

Also, for comparison, here's another link to a guy that has five different configurations shown on his 1150, one of which is the stubby. It's my favorite of all 5!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1mZ8UnKT6o

It's my understanding that this mod (down tube tip and leaving CAT in place) won't change the performance and running, thus no dorking with anything else required... anybody know better?
CousinDave is offline   Reply With Quote