User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Possibility of Engine Damage?

Having a string of bad luck lately. We're on the road and have been experiencing some jerkiness/surging lately.

Just found a place to take a look at the bike and found a bunch of oil leaking from somewhere. Currently taking the bike apart to find out the source.

I just put about 1/3 of a liter of oil in the tank and its just at the low level of the stick after putting that much oil in, so the oil level was low. Oil light never did come on, but what are the chances of damage to the engine? I'm sort of shitting my pants.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,808
Jerkyness/surging/oil leaking from somewhere.

Not a lot to go on. If its a motorcycle and it suddenly went through most of it's oil then there is the possibility of engine damage.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,518
The fact that it was a liter low isn't in itself that bad. There's still plenty in the system to keep the bike running just fine. You really need to keep an eye on the consumption and figure out how much is leaking and where it's going.

If it was getting into the cylinder, you would see signs of smoke in the exhaust. A small amount of oil smokes a LOT. You might have to get someone to follow you as you go through the gears and look for smoke while you are riding. If it's leaking that much through an external seal, you would certainly be able to see obvious signs of that on the engine, frame and driveway.

Start by cleaning it well and ride it for a few days - always check your oil using the exact same routine every time.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
johnno950
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
Having a string of bad luck lately. We're on the road and have been experiencing some jerkiness/surging lately.

Just found a place to take a look at the bike and found a bunch of oil leaking from somewhere. Currently taking the bike apart to find out the source.

I just put about 1/3 of a liter of oil in the tank and its just at the low level of the stick after putting that much oil in, so the oil level was low. Oil light never did come on, but what are the chances of damage to the engine? I'm sort of shitting my pants.
Cut and inspect the oil filter for metal debri,and find where the oil leak is from, if no metal/paste in filter cleats,ride and enjoy!
johnno950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Top it off with oil and get it home, pull the tanks and look for where the oil is leaking from. Take some pictures and the folks on here will be able to give you a better idea of what's up with it.

What year is it? How many miles?

Don't worry, you'll be able to get it fixed up. If it ran a little low in oil it should be fine, but like akarob said, if it's a liter low you should be fine. But find the source of the leak then do your oil change and look in your screen signs of damage.
SauceSquatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,539
1/3 of a liter is not going to cause any engine damage.. Fill it, find the leak and ride.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
get a flashlight, remove fuel tanks and inspect engine. probably a valve gasket gone south or one of the front cylinder valve cover oil pipes. 1/3 of liter isnt *that* bad. Wait until you hear strange engines noises, blue smoke from exhaust or oily plugs.

Maybe the breather tube that comes from front cylinder has spitted some oil into the airbox? You recently complained about rough riding, that tube points directly at front cylinder intake.If so air filter will have traces of spitting oil too..

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Like said, 1/3 of a liter isn;t dramatic to cause engine damage. You still have oil in the oil circuit and oilpan. If there was no oil light then you're safe. It might coughed the oil into the carbs/airfilter and that's why it's jerking/surging.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
TcRulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Hi Rockwell, you have no engine damage. Theres about 750 mls in the sump with the bike having a total of 3 lts. So there would have been plenty circulating around.
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,295
Yup, nothing to worry about. Find the leak and go from there.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for all the replies. I feel a bit relieved.

I spent all day tearing the bike down and putting it back together. I opened the front cylinder valve cover. The inner circular gasket that surrounds the spark plug ignition coil was damaged.

Not sure that this was the cause of the leak, but the oil appeared to be leaking from either there or the gasket that surrounds the valve cover. The surrounding gasket looks OK, though. I am going to monitor it closely.

I am going to look into a new fuel filter for the surging/jerkiness. I don't think it's the typical snatchy throttle that others describe because I haven't experienced this in almost 50,000km of riding.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #12
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,945
If no one has already mentioned it, also check your oil pressure sending unit. They sometimes leak, as mine did.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #13
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,784
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
If no one has already mentioned it, also check your oil pressure sending unit. They sometimes leak, as mine did.
This is a very common leakage place. The pressure sender, leaks between its metal and plastic part.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #14
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Where is the pressure sender on the bike?

The leak appeared to be coming from the front cylinder cover. I'm going to order a new gasket or set of gaskets to make sure. Also, I removed the SAS last fall when I rebuilt the bike, and put the engine block-off plates on. I checked the one on the front cylinder (in the hard-to-get-at location) and the bolts didn't seem too tight. Not sure if oil can leak out of that location since it was for air injection, but I tightened that up anyway.

Still have the stuttering/jerkiness so I am going to see if new fuel filters clear that up (thanks gefr).
Old 07-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #15
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
The sending unit is in the back of the front cylinder.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote