Old 07-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #62
DESERT SCORPION
SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer: 119
X-Challenge Chain Tension

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Funny, my first thought when seeing the pic was also, "That looks too tight."

See what BMW specifies for that bike. 1" is much tighter than dual sports usually call for, due to the amount of suspension travel. Typically it's more like 1.5" or so. I would tend to leave it a little loose, just in case.

--mark
I was reading this ride report with special interest because I own a X-Challenge and I wanted to see how well this bike did. Seems like pretty well. I also picked up on this chain tension debate, because I am just about to tighten mine up a bit. It's running about 1-3/4 to 2 inches. The RepROM does in fact state that the correct slack is 25mm with the suspension fully unloaded.

The reason that this bike does not exhibit more slack than this is due to the chain rollers above and below the chain in the vicinity of the swingarm pivot. When the rear suspension is fully extended, the lower run of chain rests on the lower roller, reducing the amount of slack that would otherwise exist. I set the slack to 1" (25.4mm) and then bled air out of my air shock while the bike sat on a rear wheel stand. The chain goes over center without becoming taught, although it does show almost no free play. Therefore 25mm should definitely be considered the minimum free play required after adjustment. Hope this helps out.

THE SCORPION
DESERT SCORPION is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #63
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERT SCORPION View Post
I was reading this ride report with special interest because I own a X-Challenge and I wanted to see how well this bike did. Seems like pretty well. I also picked up on this chain tension debate, because I am just about to tighten mine up a bit. It's running about 1-3/4 to 2 inches. The RepROM does in fact state that the correct slack is 25mm with the suspension fully unloaded.

The reason that this bike does not exhibit more slack than this is due to the chain rollers above and below the chain in the vicinity of the swingarm pivot. When the rear suspension is fully extended, the lower run of chain rests on the lower roller, reducing the amount of slack that would otherwise exist. I set the slack to 1" (25.4mm) and then bled air out of my air shock while the bike sat on a rear wheel stand. The chain goes over center without becoming taught, although it does show almost no free play. Therefore 25mm should definitely be considered the minimum free play required after adjustment. Hope this helps out.

THE SCORPION
Great verification info!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #64
Ms2uared
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Cool2 Thanks

Hi Mike,

Thanks for including me in your adventure. It was great to ride with both of you. I want to do the Trans Lab now after seeing all that gravel! I went around the Cabot again and stayed in Meat cove that night. Beautiful spot. Glad you arrived safe and had some good experiences with road troubles. It makes us all better riders.

Matt

"The very basic core of a person's living spirit is their passion for adventure. There is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon,to have a new sun."
Jon Krakauer, - Into the Wild
Ms2uared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #65
mcgarrett OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms2uared View Post
Hi Mike,

Thanks for including me in your adventure. It was great to ride with both of you. I want to do the Trans Lab now after seeing all that gravel! I went around the Cabot again and stayed in Meat cove that night. Beautiful spot. Glad you arrived safe and had some good experiences with road troubles. It makes us all better riders.

Matt
Matt,

Nice meeting you and best wishes for your future adventures.