Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #106
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbolin View Post
You rode through my town of Oakridge! I eat at Manley's all the time. Cool story and I love the pics.
That broasted chicken was amazing....and the coleslaw was one of the best I've had.

Nice road to!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #107
rms56
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
gotta luv culinary adventures lol
rms56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #108
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 489
Hello SAN, I enjoyed your report and seeing Alaska from your perspective. I especially like that you take the time to enjoy culinary delights along the way. Keep on ridin'
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #109
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Sasho!

Nice to hear from you....are we gonna to the arctic circle in Europe next summer?
Old 09-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #110
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
Sasho!

Nice to hear from you....are we gonna to the arctic circle in Europe next summer?
I got a bike there now, so anything is possible!! I will definitely make it back there to ride next year.

Are you planning on coming to Montana? Or have you already been?
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #111
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
Thanks again for the great story and pictures. Hate to see the story end.....you done good!

And the bike....yea, you got a winner!
Lower center of gravity than the F 800 GS to me at least.

32 inseam. Flat footed in lower seat position.

Crappy street bike side stand though and the aftermarket centerstand has a weak spring (already replaced 2) so that it clangs and bangs when you hit any rough terrain.

Good deflection of wind with the stock windscreen and the laminar lip works perfectly. Get extra velcros to attach it and this way you can move it down when you do dirt.

And the sound....I won't ever put another can on it, I just love the whistle/turbo/jet engine sound. vrrroooommmm

I love my boy!
Old 09-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #112
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,343
Great read and pictures. Love reading stories of women out on their own on their own bikes. Always wanted to make Alaska but never got it done. And at this age and body condition, probably won't. But, it's gonna remain a dream. Thanks for the time and work of sharing.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #113
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,058
Awesome read, thank you.
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #114
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Just did Alaska this season on my DR, and its amazing some of the things I missed! You really cant see it all in one trip..

Its interesting- you seem to be a planner, while I am totally impulsive and have no plans- the contrast of what is experienced I guess is really just a reflection of differing minds.

Yet another epic Alaska report. Thanks for the read
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #115
TarmacSurfer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Thanks for sharing the adventure via photos and written words. I enjoyed reading it and admiring the scenery. Ride on.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #116
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Just did Alaska this season on my DR, and its amazing some of the things I missed! You really cant see it all in one trip..

Its interesting- you seem to be a planner, while I am totally impulsive and have no plans- the contrast of what is experienced I guess is really just a reflection of differing minds.

Yet another epic Alaska report. Thanks for the read
I was mostly a planner so that I had exit strategy figured out since I had no one to help me if anything went wrong. I don't mean that I doubted that people would help me if I got a flat, more like if I was sick of riding in the rain that I could just park it and come home etc.
It's also a long way to go and miss something like the sluice box pie at mile 50 on the Denali highway.

I have learned the hard way in terms of distances that it's important to space out mileage so that you don't create exhaustion. A good pace is the trick.

Since I had camping gear, I was less worried about accommodations.

Gas was the big one. I had extra gas cans but also made policy of fueling whenever I saw it and never passing up food.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #117
xcountry41
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Frost heaves are your friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
She did a little of the Alcan, from the junction of the Klondike Hwy and the Alcan to Delta Junction and then back from Tok to Hainse Junction, had the pleasure of the worst frost heaves TWICE.
I had a blast on that section! I rode a hooligan pace over the top of the world from Dawson,( dodged a cow moose and her calf), to the junction just East of Tok. The construction (no one there on a sunday evening), and the frost heaves from Beaver creek to Destruction bay made for some fun riding on my "Frisky Canadian" orange Tiger XC. Maybe we should start some sort of Gumball rally free for all to Chicken with war stories at Susan's on the head home day from D2D. Glad to see all y'allmade it home safe. Hows my Texan, Russ ? and in all seriousness it was really nice to meet you folks. Thanks Nancy for stirrin up the memories, very cool to see others perspective on the same roads and similar adventures.
Regards,
Gary

xcountry41 screwed with this post 09-28-2013 at 09:32 PM
xcountry41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #118
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcountry41 View Post
I had a blast on that section! I rode a hooligan pace over the top of the world from Dawson,( dodged a cow moose and her calf), to the junction just East of Tok. The construction (no one there on a sunday evening), and the frost heaves from Beaver creek to Destruction bay made for some fun riding on my "Frisky Canadian" orange Tiger XC. Maybe we should start some sort of Gumball rally free for all to Chicken with war stories at Susan's on the head home day from D2D. Glad to see all y'allmade it home safe. Hows my Texan, Russ ? and in all seriousness it was really nice to meet you folks. Thanks Nancy for stirrin up the memories, very cool to see others perspective on the same roads and similar adventures.
Regards,
Gary
I rode some of those frost heaves with you at breakneck speeds.

Remember that couple on the side of the road, enthusiastically waiving? I'd met them on the ferry to Skagway!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #119
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
I can't remember if you were asked, but do you have a map of your travels?
The route you planned to take? The track that you did take?
Is either available somewhere to look at on line? It helps me a lot, seein' where you are or were.
Thanks,
-ceej (AK in 2011, no ... 2012? no, nor 2013 either; maybe 2014)

PS - thanks for the info on Kroschels. Your's is the first I've heard about it.
Not quite sure how to do this but here are the links of the built map on google maps.

SF to Wrangell AK
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...1d74f232&msa=0

Skagway to Kenai
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...f61cdf1395e6e9

Anchorage to Dawson City to Denali

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...fcc4ee6c184d2f

The journey home....Sumas to Issaquah was amazing....

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...00aa3ecda90a01
Old 09-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #120
xcountry41
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
a few tigers up there in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
I rode some of those frost heaves with you at breakneck speeds.

Remember that couple on the side of the road, enthusiastically waiving? I'd met them on the ferry to Skagway!
Different orange tiger guy I think ,Nancy. I went back to Whitehorse and met my wife who flew in to there. took her two up through Skagway over to Haines and back to Whitehorse in a loop. Stopped and chatted with you and Russ who I had hung with a bit at D2D, as we got off the ferry in Haines. I think I counted approx. 5 or so tigers at D2D 3 orange including yours, mine, and Dave's, a fellow from Victoria that Russ and I met in Whitehorse and ended up sharing my campsite with in Dawson. On the way out at Chicken 3 of those tigers were at Susan's at same time.The 2013 Kahki green one, a black one and my 2012 Orange one. you guys were all a little ahead of me getting to Tok and Thomsons was full so I pushed on and stayed at Beaver creek. Seems to me that was probably your Teepee night at Thomsons and about 4 days before we met you and Russ in Haines. Thanks for the ride report, really enjoying re-living my June adventure. I really should post some of my pics including the mother Grizzly and 3 cubs I saw between Muncho Lake and Fort Nelson BC on the way home. Actually scared them enough for her to send them all the way up a tree but she just gave me a good stern look and let me live

xcountry41 screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 08:25 PM
xcountry41 is offline   Reply With Quote