ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
ARiderX OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Repair thread - bringing back my KTM 990 Adventure S

Hi,

Never started a thread before. But I have a few particular questions that will otherwise be lost in bigger topics. Hope you don't mind. Reason I never started this thread is because of frustration and denial. Thinking that if I didn't have to ask a few questions, the problems wouldn't exist

Sadly, as with any ktm so it seems, there is no escaping repair/maintenance/dealer time nightmare.

But now it's time to address a few things, because it is starting to get out of hand. Time to not be this guy =>

Some facts:

- it's a 2007/2008 bike, no ABS. I was hoping to eek out a few thousand kms last year to get me through the 2014 season but it totally bailed on me. (which is perhaps one of the reasons I angrily tossed the key and didn't want to deal with this thing). I don't think it's worth anything anymore. So I either try to fix it, or make something out of it as a second bike (but trying to keep the costs down), or loose the whole thing. Which means I'm kinda stuck with the bike.

- the problems it has: stalling. When closing the throttle and pulling the clutch, it drops to what is supposed to be idle rpm but it just stalls (one fell swoop). Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does it 10 times in a row, and starts eating up my battery so I can't start it again. Mind you this was last year, all I did this year was ride it to the nearest dealer to try to have it fixed (didn't stall but too short a ride to tell)

- Dealer checked the valves (expensive, as they whole bike need to be dismantled, lots of labour): that wasn't it. Apparently running the diagnostic, it showed a FI error (not on the dash, although after the diagnostic, suddenly the dash warning came back too) That's where I am now, I'm picking the bike back up tomorrow (nothing resolved) . The mechanic told me that changing the throttle bodies would be a 1000 euro repair (not including labour). I don't want to put that kinda money in the bike anymore (but if I don't, as I told you, it would be useless)

So here are a few questions to get me started:

I'll have more information tomorrow, but is that part really that expensive? Or could I find aftermarket options, or maybe even the same thing from a different brand altogether? (Keihin throttle bodies?)

Which good shop manual could you recommend? One that has the mother load for taking a bike apart to the bone? I know they used to exist for older bikes, is there a good one for a 2007-2008 990 adventure?

If I make this a "project" bike to develop some mechanical "tinkering" skills, nothing else will phase me. Next step up is a roll royce turbine engine

Unrelated: cheap plastic bits. I searched, couldn't find any. I had a little slide on tarmac with the bike. And of course the plastics got bruised, like chipped on different points where it was too stressed. Also the windscreen is kinda out of shape and damaged. I saw in the 1190 topic, that it is possible to buy cheap black plastic body parts for the 1050. Like 60 euro a wing... That's exactly what I'm after, because I would paint them myself anyway. Original ktm parts are like 280 euros for small wings, I don't even want to know what the side panels cost. And because they're also the fuel tanks...

Anyway, this will do for now. I will evaluate tomorrow where I want to go with this, but any pointers would help out a lot in making up my mind. Thanks in advance!

ARiderX screwed with this post 04-16-2015 at 02:44 PM
ARiderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Stalling issues I would start here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=958280

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
felixblack1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
First take it out of that dealer. Replacing the throttle bodies is a lazy, expensive method of fixing any potential issues with the throttle bodies. But at least your valve clearances should be set right. Did they also put new spark plugs in? This will allow for a fresh start to check that your throttle bodIes are balanced correctly, idle speed and Throttle position sensors are set right. You will need a cable which connects your ECU to your computer so you can use TuneECU to diagnose your issue. Did they tell you what the FI error code was for?
felixblack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #4
dgjackson40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
You Can Do It

"So here are a few questions to get me started:

I'll have more information tomorrow, but is that part really that expensive? Or could I find aftermarket options, or maybe even the same thing from a different brand altogether? (Keihin throttle bodies?)"

I like others do not think you'll need new throttle body. At the most maybe a THROTTLE POS. SENSOR CPL. 61041077000 $101.49 US or possibly a GEAR-POSITION SENSOR 06 60011023100 $32.99 US. It may also be the wiring issue mentioned in another post.

"Which good shop manual could you recommend? One that has the mother load for taking a bike apart to the bone? I know they used to exist for older bikes, is there a good one for a 2007-2008 990 adventure?"

KTM 950 990 LC8 Repair Manual DVD 3206160 $24.95 US is pretty good but you will probably get lots more info from KTM Hall of Wisdom http://ktm950.info/ . I do use the DVD from time to time and especially when doing my valves.

Your going to want to get the TuneECU cable and download software for that which will help you a great deal. Google both.

I think with all the help here you'll be able to line out your bike. It is by far not a lost cause. Make double sure your throttle cable is adjusted properly and maybe get a fuel pump kit. Fellow inmate here has those. Just have faith and go at it with the confidence that it can be fixed and it will not cost you tremendously, unless, you do have a repair shop do it. Check thouroughly for vaccum leaks.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:26 AM   #5
ARiderX OP
Studly Adventurer

Thx for the replies, guys.

Rode it back yesterday, about 280 km's from where it was at a dealers workshop.

Basically they checked the valves, and they were pretty in much within spec. (bike has 50000km). As mentioned, it was not at all the solution to the stalling problem. I was told it held its idle at startup, but no further than from the parking lot to the first set of traffic lights, it stalled 4-5 times. Lots of highway after that, but still managed to stall about 8 times when slowing down or having to come to a stop. A stressful ride for sure. Now it stalls even at startup, fires up and stalls immediately.

The FI light was on (wasn't on before I dropped it at the dealers. I guess that hooking it up to their diagnostics somehow 'fixed' the FI light)

If I could just solve that already, it would go back from being a wreck to a usable bike (one which I could trash around because everything else on it looks trashed too )

As I said, if it is a 1000-1500 euro repair, i'd rather not take the risk. I could do all that and still end up with a broken bike. If it is 200 euro, and some of my spare time, then why not.

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. i'm definitely not a pro mechanic, but I understand mechanics well enough, and I'm precise and disciplined when it comes to handiwork. Ktm's are notoriously difficult so that's one big throw in the deep end of the pool

I will definitely need a repair manual. I remember when I was younger seeing those Haynes manuals around. Exploded views, pictures, ... I'd like to take a look at that before getting into anything. Preparation is half the work. DVD's don't do it for me, it's difficult to browse around on a dvd, and you're stuck at the pace of the dvd (slow). I prefer reading. At the dealers they told me they have these books, but he couldn't sell it to me even if he wanted to. (not allowed from ktm) I understand when talking about a newer model (1050-1190) that are the bread and butter of the dealers. But for older ones? Come on, ktm! Don't be this corporate

Anyway. The fault code was '57' Don't know if that makes any sense?
And apparently all I need is the stepper motor (which is the same stepper motor as used in other bikes, so I need to find a parts number for that). And the problem is that ktm doesn't have the stepper motor as a separate item and one would need to swap out the whole thing. (which is what makes it expensive)

So I'll go research some stuff. If anybody wants to chime in, please feel free
Old 04-18-2015, 02:40 AM   #6
ARiderX OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgjackson40 View Post

I like others do not think you'll need new throttle body. At the most maybe a THROTTLE POS. SENSOR CPL. 61041077000 $101.49 US or possibly a GEAR-POSITION SENSOR 06 60011023100 $32.99 US. It may also be the wiring issue mentioned in another post.
On it, thx for the lead
Quote:
Your going to want to get the TuneECU cable and download software for that which will help you a great deal. Google both.
Will do
Old 04-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #7
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,298
If your stalling issue is due to the secondary butterflies slamming shut when you roll off the throttle and starving the TB's of air, it is possible that the throttle cables are not adjusted properly. You pretty much need to hook the bike up to TuneECU or the KTM computer to properly adjust the cables on the 990 to get proper secondary butterfly position when you roll off the throttle.

If the stepper motor itself bad, I suppose that simply removing the secondaries might solve the stalling issue as well, however I'm not sure if the TPS also gets input from the stepper?

Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

crashmaster screwed with this post 04-20-2015 at 12:53 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote