User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #151
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,263
Testing BMac's lighting kit.

Installed this kit over New Years and spent the weekend testing out the lumins.

So far this set up is working great. The install went easier then I expected. It's very well thought out and easy to mount up. The ballast, relays and loom fit under the dash tower and the light bracket lines up perfecly to the stock bulb mounts using the stock bushings.

This set up is a huge improvement in every way including esthetically. It's a win/ win all around.

And Kevin was patient and thorough in answering my questions and concerns. I can't wait for the newest trim ring and lens covers.

I had a good feeling about this kit when it was first being devised... And so far it's exceeded my expectations.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 07:49 AM
DesertSurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #152
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 969
Pm sent last week...
Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #153
ClintK
n00b

Oddometer: 5
My headlight kit arrived a few days ago and I'm extremely pleased with the workmanship & thought that went into it. It rivals the best commercially available products. Even the protective packaging for shipping was done very well. Thanks for a great solution to my lighting needs.
Yamaha FJ1200
KTM 950 Adventure
ClintK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #154
toto#77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Just a request, could you please take a picture of the hella glass, I need to see if there something marked in order to be sure to use them in italy without problem.
Thanks

non facile scrivere mentre mi allaccio il casco...
toto#77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #155
BMacW650 OP

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by toto#77 View Post
Just a request, could you please take a picture of the hella glass, I need to see if there something marked in order to be sure to use them in italy without problem.
Thanks

The lamps we are using are H9 bulbs and DOT/SAE approved.

Hella makes total of 4 different types of 90mm SINGLE halogen lamps. 2xECE (high/low) 2xDOT (high/low).

They have the same foot print in terms of mounting location. But it will be really hard to fit the ECE approved highbeam lamp on my bracket.

For EU, you need these
http://www.rallylights.com/hl68152-h...8-191-001.html
http://www.rallylights.com/hl68151-h...-beam-ece.html
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #156
toto#77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Thanks ;)

toto#77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #157
MCLARDIE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
yeh i am interested in a kit as well.. if you could work out a price to send to scotland ... looking forward to seeing some pictures of the kit fitted on deferent bikes, so come on guys get some pics taken

cheers

Dave
MCLARDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #158
CoFloW
Pray For Snow.

Oddometer: 26
Thumb Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCLARDIE View Post
yeh i am interested in a kit as well.. if you could work out a price to send to scotland ... looking forward to seeing some pictures of the kit fitted on deferent bikes, so come on guys get some pics taken

cheers

Dave
hopefully will get it to it by this weekend!!
CoFloW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #159
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
There are quite a good amount of info in this thread, and it is always great to read others R&D posts. To the OP, when you chose the 90mm housing, did you by any chance look at their 60mm projectors. I am about to do what you did, but on my Bavarian mule. Your screen shots for comparison was really well done, and I thought I'd ask, as I am considering both.
Thanks

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #160
BMacW650 OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
There are quite a good amount of info in this thread, and it is always great to read others R&D posts. To the OP, when you chose the 90mm housing, did you by any chance look at their 60mm projectors. I am about to do what you did, but on my Bavarian mule. Your screen shots for comparison was really well done, and I thought I'd ask, as I am considering both.
Thanks
I have used the 60mm. ( I still have them actually)

Just my opinion.
Low beam with HID 60mm>90mm (single beam model)
High beam 90mm>60mm.

For this project, the 60mm lamps are a bit deeper than the 90mm modules especially with the HID filament. To make this cost effective and look good, we used twin 90mm lamps. So that the mask is flush with the stock screen. If I was to make a one off screen that pop out more than the stock screen to accommodate the lights, it wouldn't be a problem.

This picture posted earlier in this thread is from a 60mm module with HID conversion. It's impossible to compare the brightness, but you get an idea about the beam pattern at least.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #161
BMacW650 OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
To make this cost effective and look good, we used twin 90mm lamps. So that the mask is flush with the stock screen. If I was to make a one off screen that pop out more than the stock screen to accommodate the lights, it wouldn't be a problem.
To clarify what I said.
Cost effective: leave the stock screen alone. In my case I have a short screen I use for summer, and a stock one for touring, etc. So I want to keep the headlight unit self contained. This is cheaper than getting custom screen. Because the 60mm high beam is very long, it's two deep to use the 60mm for high and low beam.

Look: Having said the above, it is possible to have the much lower profile 90mm high beam along with a 60mm low beam. But to me, it does not look as good. Also the two lamps would use different bulbs which is less convenient on the road.

Now that I have a set of acrylic lenses to maintain the twin 90mm look, it's possible to put whatever light you want in the back. You can put a square squadron led as high beam, or the 60mm low beam on the bottom. It wouldn't destroy the look.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #162
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
To clarify what I said.
Cost effective: leave the stock screen alone. In my case I have a short screen I use for summer, and a stock one for touring, etc. So I want to keep the headlight unit self contained. This is cheaper than getting custom screen. Because the 60mm high beam is very long, it's two deep to use the 60mm for high and low beam.

Look: Having said the above, it is possible to have the much lower profile 90mm high beam along with a 60mm low beam. But to me, it does not look as good. Also the two lamps would use different bulbs which is less convenient on the road.

Now that I have a set of acrylic lenses to maintain the twin 90mm look, it's possible to put whatever light you want in the back. You can put a square squadron led as high beam, or the 60mm low beam on the bottom. It wouldn't destroy the look.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. I to like the sharp cutoff on the 60mm, as compared to the 90mm. On my app. I can use either, as I have'em side by side. With regards to beam pattern only, specially with HID conversion, do you have a preference, as if you did not have to pay attention to the housing size...??? That picture of the 60mm looks real good. Thank you for helping.

Erling
Old 01-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #163
BMacW650 OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Thanks for the info. I to like the sharp cutoff on the 60mm, as compared to the 90mm. On my app. I can use either, as I have'em side by side. With regards to beam pattern only, specially with HID conversion, do you have a preference, as if you did not have to pay attention to the housing size...??? That picture of the 60mm looks real good. Thank you for helping.
I prefer the throw distrance of the 60mm. The 60mm has better looking cut offs . But since I had the 90mm, I found that it throws more stray lights around the cut off, which is actually better in practice.

I would definitely not recommend the 60mm high beam. I just don't find the projector lens effective for high beam application. For what you are doing, you might be better off going with the 90high, and 60low. Would also retain that beemer asymmetric headlight look.

I gave my friend my 60mm setup, so he can play with them on his 1200gs. I was going to help him but he's a stubborn guy
If it was warmer, I'd get both bikes together and take some pictures for you. But we are all getting anally rapped by this crazy cold right now

Old 01-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #164
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I prefer the throw distrance of the 60mm. The 60mm has better looking cut offs . But since I had the 90mm, I found that it throws more stray lights around the cut off, which is actually better in practice.

I would definitely not recommend the 60mm high beam. I just don't find the projector lens effective for high beam application. For what you are doing, you might be better off going with the 90high, and 60low. Would also retain that beemer asymmetric headlight look.

I gave my friend my 60mm setup, so he can play with them on his 1200gs. I was going to help him but he's a stubborn guy
If it was warmer, I'd get both bikes together and take some pictures for you. But we are all getting anally rapped by this crazy cold right now

You are not kidding, in regards to the cold. We are spoiled here in the desert where the highs tomorrow will be around 70..... Sorry . I really appreciate your help, and I think I will take your recommendation to heart, and go with the 60/90 combo. If I could send up some warm air....I would.
Thanks again.

Erling
Old 03-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #165
BMacW650 OP

I took some time off making a new mask. This one will provide a more secure fit, but it must be accessed with the entire assembly off.

The mask will mount independent of the light bracket. and additional lip is added around the entire mask behind the windscreen to prevent splashes getting behind too easily.

I still have 3 full kit, I will finish with this version of the mask. I decided to not make any more wiring harness and brackets, because it was costing me too much money and time.

You can get a hold of me if you would like to get just mask+lens protector, and make your own wiring harness and bracket. I will send you a copy of all the drawing you need to fit them together. I wouldn't want all the efforts that went into this go to waste.