ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #106
braaap!
waiting for the big one
 
braaap!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Melbourne
Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
All the parts came in. I'm getting really close....

Adjustable directly from the front. (again, i need to figure a better way to secure the cover)
AhHa... Neodimium (sp) magnets maybe.
Send my kit as is and I'll figure the mask secrurity... Got have some fun on the back of all your hard work.... before the aussie dollar goes below 50c US!

Cheers
braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #107
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rider911's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 347
Is there a reason you havent used HID in the high beam?

What wattage HID did you use in the low beam?





__
__________________
____________________

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #108
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: West Nebraska
Oddometer: 926
The usual reason is that HIDs are not instant on from cold. If you are not a mad flasher then probably no big deal, especially if the lowbeam stays on with high beam. That's why some HIDs achieve high beam by shuttling the (always on) lamp in and out to change focus. Another reason might be that very limited space in that position on an adventure...some HIDs are a little longer because of the length of the bulb and the HV connector on the back.
I know you wanted he OPs reason....but I was bored....
__________________
2009 KTM Adventure
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #109
BMacW650 OP
.
 
BMacW650's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Troy Michigan
Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by braaap! View Post
AhHa... Neodimium (sp) magnets maybe.
Send my kit as is and I'll figure the mask secrurity... Got have some fun on the back of all your hard work.... before the aussie dollar goes below 50c US!

Cheers
I already have a solution. Should be ready soon.


Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #110
BMacW650 OP
.
 
BMacW650's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Troy Michigan
Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider911 View Post
Is there a reason you havent used HID in the high beam?

What wattage HID did you use in the low beam?





__
Everything roundz said. Unless you have a bi-xeon bulb ( Hi and low in one lamp), where the shutter will move the already full power hid back and forth into positions for Hi OR low, you can't effectively flash the high beam.

If your low beam with hid craps out on a long trip. You can always get out the h9 bulb from the Hi beam and carry on.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #111
种.
Ajaa kuin mummo
 
种.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 238
If its possible you could use Hella high beam xenon and Hella bi-halogen like I did. Using H7 - d2s adapter in the bi-halogen module you can use same type of bulp in both lights. If the bulp in bi-halogen burns out and you cant find d2s xenon bulps you can just remove the adapter and use H7 halogen bulp.

Flashing is not a broblem with bi-halogen module and you can turn the high beam module on only when you really need it.
__________________
Pics and vids
种. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #112
BMacW650 OP
.
 
BMacW650's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Troy Michigan
Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by 种. View Post
If its possible you could use Hella high beam xenon and Hella bi-halogen like I did. Using H7 - d2s adapter in the bi-halogen module you can use same type of bulp in both lights. If the bulp in bi-halogen burns out and you cant find d2s xenon bulps you can just remove the adapter and use H7 halogen bulp.

Flashing is not a broblem with bi-halogen module and you can turn the high beam module on only when you really need it.
I've used the bi-xeon and bi-led unit (90mm), but they are a bit too big to fit in nicely. If you replace the screen and push it forward more like the TT setup, then you can fit in the bi-halogen,xeon unit. But my goal is to create a drop in replacement for the stock headlight, so that any aftermarket screen can be used. (I have a stock, and a moose shorty, I swap for summer use).

You don't really want to use bi-halogen lamp for HID conversion. Because the placement of the filament has to be more precise and will never the same for halogen vs hid. Single beam lamps are better suited for HID conversion.
Plus these single beam lamps look better and are cheaper.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #113
种.
Ajaa kuin mummo
 
种.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
I've used the bi-xeon and bi-led unit (90mm), but they are a bit too big to fit in nicely. If you replace the screen and push it forward more like the TT setup, then you can fit in the bi-halogen,xeon unit. But my goal is to create a drop in replacement for the stock headlight, so that any aftermarket screen can be used. (I have a stock, and a moose shorty, I swap for summer use).

You don't really want to use bi-halogen lamp for HID conversion. Because the placement of the filament has to be more precise and will never the same for halogen vs hid. Single beam lamps are better suited for HID conversion.
Plus these single beam lamps look better and are cheaper.
I agree, bi-model are quite big and the d2s plug makes the situation even worse.

I haven't heard of any bad experiences with bi-halogen to xenon conversions. Both options cheap Chinese H7 xenon or philips/osram d2s with h7-d2s adapter seems to deliver good results. Sharp cutoff, even beam pattern and plenty of light.

According to my sources Hella bi-modules have larger lens than the single beam ones and thats why they should be better in every situation. Or maybe I'm just a victim of advertising and salesperson

I'm sure those classic modules are still 100 times better than the original and I would also prefer to keep the looks as close to original as possible.
__________________
Pics and vids
种. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #114
BMacW650 OP
.
 
BMacW650's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Troy Michigan
Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by 种. View Post
According to my sources Hella bi-modules have larger lens than the single beam ones and thats why they should be better in every situation. Or maybe I'm just a victim of advertising and salesperson
You are correct. The 90mm lamps are of older design, the actual projector lens is smaller than 90mm,around it is the reflector to better spread out the beam. I like the look of the 90, otherwise the 60mm low beam projector is the best. But like I said, the space is really tight, making a few options available for this.

The bi-halogen/xeon/led setup uses a different mounting template than the 90mm single. So with my current setup, I will have a pretty easy upgrade path to those LED lens from JW speaker when that option becomes cheaper.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #115
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rider911's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 347
Would it have been possible to use the original lens as the light protector?
It doesnt look like the set up youve made protrudes too much to accomodate it apart from the face plate that could be moulded or ground differently.
__________________
____________________

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)

rider911 screwed with this post 11-23-2013 at 06:31 PM
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #116
CoFloW
Pray For Snow.
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Biggest LiL City.NV
Oddometer: 37
Laugh YeS.........YeS..........PLeasE......

I would like to purchase a Full Kit As well!!!! If you have a few left over?
CoFloW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #117
BMacW650 OP
.
 
BMacW650's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Troy Michigan
Oddometer: 724
Problem solved.

The mask will have extra blocks on the back to serves as anchors. With a rubber grommets, it can be quickly pulled off to adjust the headlight lamps.

The finish will be matte. It can be clearly coated for a better finish.





BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #118
BMacW650 OP
.
 
BMacW650's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Troy Michigan
Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoFloW View Post
I would like to purchase a Full Kit As well!!!! If you have a few left over?
So far, I have a list of people more than I have the plates for. But many of them will probably back out. I took the names down in the order of the request. I will contact everyone in order.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #119
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk
 
DELTATANGO's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Alabama
Oddometer: 13,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
The wiring harness is finalized. I added a long 12 gauge ground wire so it will also reach the battery.

Since I'm making the harness from scratch. I will provide a shorter version of the harness if you already have some sort of fuse box installed up top.



Nice stuff.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #120
CoFloW
Pray For Snow.
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Biggest LiL City.NV
Oddometer: 37
Cool2 Fingers crossed!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
So far, I have a list of people more than I have the plates for. But many of them will probably back out. I took the names down in the order of the request. I will contact everyone in order.
...................BmaC!! You the man! Invinous of your Jedi skills I am indeed yes.....
CoFloW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014