ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
jjmead1 OP
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 551
Klim Traverse Pants issue

So first and foremost I am not ranting, just seeking out information.

I am now on my second pair of Traverse pants. The first I warrantied because they leaked water all over my crotch. Their customer service was top notch.
On to the second pair....I rode from Boulder to Golden in this afternoon's rain, and was soaked in the same area.

Does anybody else have these pants and experience this?

I do follow the instructions regarding wash and care and recharge.

I am fairly certain they will take excellent care of me but if this is a known issue I'd probably wan to go another route on pants. I like the idea of guaranteed to keep me dry.....its the being wet part that throws me off.
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,127
I have a pair that I've worn for a little over a year now.
Washed with my other gear, not really taking special procedures.
I was in a pretty good rain for about an hour and a half today also.
Only thing that leaked was the lower boot velcro area that has a huge hole from being melted on my exhaust.
My privates were, and always have been dry.
Sorry this might not solve your issues, but this is my story.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
jjmead1 OP
now THAT"S a bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
I have a pair that I've worn for a little over a year now.
Washed with my other gear, not really taking special procedures.
I was in a pretty good rain for about an hour and a half today also.
Only thing that leaked was the lower boot velcro area that has a huge hole from being melted on my exhaust.
My privates were, and always have been dry.
Sorry this might not solve your issues, but this is my story.
Nope this is exactly the feedback I wanted. Thanks. What bike are you on? Not that it should matter. Everything else on my lower body was dry.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Patj551
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
I had the same problem with MSR pants that were supposed to be water proof. The crotch area was soaking wet and cold. Here's a thread I started RE rain pants for Colorado. Interestingly, I was thinking of buying Klim Travers...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901548
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
Mark R.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
I have Klim Overland pants, which are very similar to the ones you have. I just got them, and my issue is the knee pads are too low, covering the bottom of my knees and shins.

Since I wore them once, which is when I discovered this issue, I cannot return them, so I probably have to find an alteration shop to have something done. I am not real happy with Klim.
Mark R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post
Nope this is exactly the feedback I wanted. Thanks. What bike are you on? Not that it should matter. Everything else on my lower body was dry.
My primary bike riding with those pants is the KTM 690.
The reason for the melted hole is I lost a heat shield and the lower pant must brush against it thus the melting. I have found I need to close the zippers all the way up into the small pocket,, although your problem would seem to indicate a leakage not on the zipper but perhaps where the stitching is. In all my years of riding, I've found all the water tends to concentrate right in the crotch area, almost being funneled to that location. As such, that location needs to be extremely resistant to H2O imo.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
jjmead1 OP
now THAT"S a bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
My primary bike riding with those pants is the KTM 690.
The reason for the melted hole is I lost a heat shield and the lower pant must brush against it thus the melting. I have found I need to close the zippers all the way up into the small pocket,, although your problem would seem to indicate a leakage not on the zipper but perhaps where the stitching is. In all my years of riding, I've found all the water tends to concentrate right in the crotch area, almost being funneled to that location. As such, that location needs to be extremely resistant to H2O imo.
Thinking the same thing, so I looked over the pants and the flap is not going to keep water out. They needed a watertight zipper in the crotch and failed to put one there. I am going to call them tomorrow and see how it goes. I am confident they will take care of the issue in some way.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
jjmead1 OP
now THAT"S a bike!

Got off the phone with KLIM and once again have to send the pants in. I am sure they will send me another pair, but not sure the issue is ever going to be fixed without a re design. The fly is not a water proof zipper as is found on the vent ports. The inner flap does not keep water from penetrating the pant, maybe it is too short.

I asked for them to be altered and a waterproof zipper added. But because they are made overseas no such thing can happen. I wish they would at least have prototype ability in house to do such work. But I guess that's the unfortunate nature of our manufacturing process in todays age.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,247
Was just reading about mixing and matching jackets and pants. What jacket were you wearing? If not designed with the Traverse pants in mind, it may be funneling water in the wrong spot. I ride an old airhead and have the traverse pant and jacket, I have a tank bag that's pretty high and a small windscreen. i'm never wet and it's been a record setting summer here in Georgia when it comes to rain.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,265
I have the Klim Traverse pant I wear with a Motoport jacket. I wore the pants on a 2 month trip to South America and rode through rain quite a bit. No crotch leaks. I rode a KTM 950SE with a Lynx fairing. In rain, I could raise the small windscreen which helped deflect some of the rain and that may have helped.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
HAYVIATOR
Don't be me dude.

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R. View Post
I have Klim Overland pants, which are very similar to the ones you have. I just got them, and my issue is the knee pads are too low, covering the bottom of my knees and shins.

Since I wore them once, which is when I discovered this issue, I cannot return them, so I probably have to find an alteration shop to have something done. I am not real happy with Klim.
Ditto. Not sure how they designed the pads to ride so low, 2-3 inches in my case
HAYVIATOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
Lovin' it Strom
Now low fat!

Oddometer: 2,792
You need to figure out where the water is coming in from. If it is your jacket or the fit funneling it in, no repairs will help. If it's just water pooling on your seat, the pants should stop that or you should be able to ask klim to add a layer of gore tex in the crotch to help out in that week area. Maybe throwing your leg over is stressing the stitch points there too much. I'm surprised more pants don't have a gusseted crotch.

Roll up a paper towel and pack that along your waist band and maybe a second behind the zipper point. Park in a car wash on the center stand and sit in your normal riding position while a buddy sprays you from about 10 feet away for a couple minutes and check which paper towels are wet and where.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,534
Can't speak for the Klim, but I spent about an hour in heavy rain today too!

Frogg Toggs - Dry Ducks - $20 at Sports Authority, I stayed totally dry! I do have a few rips in the lower left leg where they caught on my shifter and I patched my left forearm where I burned them on my exhaust, so it may be time for a new set. But after 5 years it may be time. However, they are a PITA to put the pants on and the hood flaps around a bit if I don't get it tucked into the back of the jacket when I put it on.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,351
the only solution I can think of is to ride nekkid.....

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,392
Treat the new pants with a good rain repellent

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote