Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #31
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post

Since the first day wasn't a long one, we stopped and checked out the motorcycle museum at Anamosa.
You were 10 minutes from me here, and if you traversed 151 towards Marion to get to I-380, you were a few hundred yards from me at one point. You guys missed out on all-you-can-eat moldy bologna on stale bread, and flat pop!

Bultaco206 screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 03:13 PM
Bultaco206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #32
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradatlarge View Post
Looks stupid.

Motorcycles are dangerous.
Sigh. I guess this means I am required to participate.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #33
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 431
Are you saying many bikes cannot complete the trip b/c of the rough terrain? Are you making this trip on the same bike over and over? What are you riding? I may have to get one.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #34
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
Are you saying many bikes cannot complete the trip b/c of the rough terrain? Are you making this trip on the same bike over and over? What are you riding? I may have to get one.
One must be pretty handy with a big bike, particularly a loaded big bike, to ride it on some of the backcountry paths. We had some mishaps and other issues related to riding heavy big bikes on rough paths. Carbureted bikes often suffer from degraded power which can be another issue to deal with.

It is also important to recognize that the ground clearance and suspension travel on some big bikes may preclude them from being ridden on certain paths. There are frequently significant uneven surfaces and protruding rocks. One must have a very sturdy bash plate and then still be careful to avoid striking rocks or you could soon be breaking a case.

Also, not all rims on big bikes are suitable for enduring rock strikes without damage.

Another factor is weight versus steepness. Big bikes are heavy.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
WOW! That's impressive!! And I didn't know there was locomotive yard like this. Thanks for sharing the information!

14 million gallons of diesel a month!? Assuming it's non-hwy diesel at NC rate of $3.30 that's $46,200,000.00 a month!!
There is a movement to power some locomotives with liquid natural gas because of the cost savings. Keep in mind that the fuel bill quoted is just for this yard, not the entire railroad. When the fuel bill exceeds a billion or two, even a small percentage of savings is significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultaco206 View Post
You were 10 minutes from me here, and if you traversed 151 towards Marion to get to I-380, you were a few hundred yards from me at one point. You guys missed out on all-you-can-eat moldy bologna on stale bread, and flat pop!
Sorry we missed that!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #36
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannons[COLOR=Red
hot;21864674][/COLOR]

It looks worse than it is. No. No in fact it really was that bad. I lifted that duffel off the floor once.

It became daily routine to do repairs or modifications on a couple of the big KTMs. I'm not sure what today's involved. I think it was aux light wiring repair and a pre-filter installation on boomer's 950. Went well.
When doing repairs, it's best to get Ben's interest, then sit on the pavement drinking beer while he fixes whatever it is that is wrong

Quote:
One must be pretty handy with a big bike, particularly a loaded big bike, to ride it on some of the backcountry paths. We had some mishaps and other issues related to riding heavy big bikes on rough paths. Carbureted bikes often suffer from degraded power which can be another issue to deal with.

It is also important to recognize that the ground clearance and suspension travel on some big bikes may preclude them from being ridden on certain paths. There are frequently significant uneven surfaces and protruding rocks. One must have a very sturdy bash plate and then still be careful to avoid striking rocks or you could soon be breaking a case.

Also, not all rims on big bikes are suitable for enduring rock strikes without damage.

Another factor is weight versus steepness. Big bikes are heavy.

The 950's and 990 had the best clearance and suspension for the trip. However, the 950's suffered greatly from power loss and bogging above about 9500 feet. I also had to deal with boiling fuel anywhere above 4000 feet on the trail.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #37
slick_kipper
i'm supposed 2b this way

Oddometer: 139
I just wonder, with all the disadvantages of a big bike...Oh that's what a Washington cowgirl looks like? Yes, very nice.
slick_kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #38
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
When doing repairs, it's best to get Ben's interest, then sit on the pavement drinking beer while he fixes whatever it is that is wrong
I noticed that the sitting on the pavement and drinking beer thing didn't work too well when the daily breakdown was out in the damn desert someplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_kipper View Post
I just wonder, with all the disadvantages of a big bike...Oh that's what a Washington cowgirl looks like? Yes, very nice.
Nice !
Old 07-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #39
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,327
Quote:
I noticed that the sitting on the pavement and drinking beer thing didn't work too well when the daily breakdown was out in the damn desert someplace.

Nice !
No sir. that desert is hot and the beer doesn't stay cold. best to keep on the project under those conditions.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #40
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
No sir. that desert is hot and the beer doesn't stay cold. best to keep on the project under those conditions.
I'm not saying that the sun was hot, but you'll notice that Zed is willing to sit next to a hot engine just to try to get a sliver of shade.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #41
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,568
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Cannonshot is a master navigator. You will not be disappointed with his tracks. You may be pissed off, tired, lonely and hungry, but you will not be disappointed. Cannonshot's routes tend to be at the upper limit of what can be achieved. If you want to save your arse and your soul, bring a bike one step smaller than suggested. I wrestled a heavily laden KLR along his big bike route in the UP last summer, and there were portions which tried my soul to the limit.

I don't regret a moment of it. It was some of the best solo riding I've ever experienced.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 01:49 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #42
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,454
Ready for BBA (big bike adventure)!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #43
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,860

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #44
Critic
More or less!

Oddometer: 1,235
Waiting for your usual maps, I am not sure where you were!
past:BigBear250,T100cs,Savage250s,TS185,DT175,GT550,TY250,XR200/350/250,R75/7,Ft500,RD350,YZ125,KDX175,SP500,K1000rs,DR250,883,S1,ST2,KLX650,KE100,GS1000,Monster,Vstr om1000&650,950adv,625sxc,250SSherpa,530exc,990adv, 690e
Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #45
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,505
Quote:
Carbureted bikes often suffer from degraded power which can be another issue to deal with.
That's perhaps putting it too mildly. My ride for this trip was a Rip-snorting, Fire-breathing KTM 950 SUPER enduro--A 100hp Beast back home at 800' elevation. At 13K feet trying to climb over a pass it was reduced to a overweight kid on a 5hp briggs and stratton mini bike with a clogged carb. It was NOT pretty.

Quote:
It is also important to recognize that the ground clearance and suspension travel on some big bikes may preclude them from being ridden on certain paths.
I was following Dr. Zed's NC700X down one particularly rough downhill section when the skiplate touched down hard enough to make me see daylight under his rear tire

Quote:

He who has the most bike problems shall have the most tools. And I have a power drill
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote