ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
kcounce OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 27
Introduction El Paso / Las Cruces

I recently moved to El Paso and I see people riding around all the time but so far haven't found a group to ride with. If anyone is in the El Paso / Las Cruces area throw me a bone and let me know where people generally meet up. I have been riding for about 12 years now and have had a variety of bikes. Just picked up a 2013 F800GS so I am pretty excited to get out there and ride.

Kevin
kcounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #2
craydds
Beastly Adventurer
 
craydds's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcounce View Post
If anyone is in the El Paso / Las Cruces area...

Kevin
Hi Kevin, I live in Las Cruces and ride dirt bikes in the desert, and my R90S on the road. Don't know if you would chance taking the F800GS out on desert trails - some are pretty challenging on a dirt bike, but there are many roads/Jeep trails that might be good rides on a GS.
__________________
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 01:44 PM Reason: and
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
TheGreatHareafter
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Far West Texas
Oddometer: 44
There doesn't seem to be a large group down here. I've mostly lurked a while and only noted a half dozen members in our area. I've been tempted to organize some short rides (Aden Crater, Corralitos Road through to Hatch) but it hasn't happened yet. Either of those should be doable on a F800 I'd think.
TheGreatHareafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
kcounce OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
Hi Kevin, I live in Las Cruces and ride dirt bikes in the desert, and my R90S on the road. Don't know if you would chance taking the F800GS out on desert trails - some are pretty challenging on a dirt bike, but there are many roads/Jeep trails that might be good rides on a GS.
My off-road skills are limited in general so I will confine myself to dirt roads until they improve! No open desert or deep sand for now. Might have to get myself a proper dirt bike...
kcounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
kcounce OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatHareafter View Post
There doesn't seem to be a large group down here. I've mostly lurked a while and only noted a half dozen members in our area. I've been tempted to organize some short rides (Aden Crater, Corralitos Road through to Hatch) but it hasn't happened yet. Either of those should be doable on a F800 I'd think.
Organize away! I am still too new to this part of the world so my rides consist of what roads look good from google maps. Problem is I rarely off road so I may not be able to tell what is a trail and what is a drive way!
kcounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
barko1
barko1
 
barko1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Las Cruces, NM or thereabouts
Oddometer: 3,209
Not a lot of organization down here but riders on all sorts of machinery. I got rid of my dirt bike after the last back surgery but still drive my DR around the trails. We run up to Monticello Canyon and elsewhere. Did a road trip with a few guys last month up to Alpine AZ. Sunday AM a bunch of guys from EP and LC meet at the Bean on the main drag in Mesilla mostly for coffee and BS on a variety of bikes. The biggest ride from that get together is up to Hatch for breakfast. I'm heading up to CO for the Moose Run DS ride and may get someone else to join me for that. Hillsboro/Emory Pass and Cloudcroft are the road destinations. I like the Dona Ana Mtns for dirt.
__________________
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcounce View Post
Might have to get myself a proper dirt bike...
Great idea, you'll see so much more and the skills will help you on the big bike..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcounce View Post
Problem is I rarely off road so I may not be able to tell what is a trail and what is a drive way!
Or a Meth Lab, be carefull!
__________________
Chris

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
RPMMotorcycle
I can fix it.
 
RPMMotorcycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: El Paso, Texas
Oddometer: 21
I can help

Stop by the shop (check the user name) and I can help you with most of the riding here in El Paso. If ya wanna dicuss it over a cold beverage, just come by around closing time, 5pm. Ritchie.
RPMMotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Gillus
High Desert Rat
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Alamogordo, NM
Oddometer: 689
It is a 85 mile to Alamogordo from EP and then east into the Sacramento Mountains. I rode 110 miles, about 40% dirt roads and the rest paved twistes for a cold Coke (beverage) in Weed just yesterday.
Alamo to High Rolls Paved, up Karr Canyon dirt to the Sunspot road south to Sunspot paved and twisty then the Timberon Road paved and twisty to Scott Able Canyon/dirt to Sacramento then Weed, then paved to Mayhill to Cloudcroft to High Rolls then the Calico Peak dirt road to the dirt La Luz Canyon road to La Luz and home. It is best when it is dry or damp as the mud up there can be sticky. By dirt I mean a gravel two track accessible by a rental car () going slow, nothing needed for a dedicated dirt bike on a ride like this. You and your F800GS will do fine on a ride like this with a few quick lessons or tips if you have problems. Make sure your comfortable standing and riding and let the bike do the work.
You might ask the guys over at the BMW store in EP as they will put together some rides but rarely from my experience. I mentioned it to Dean more than once to ride up here.

I am surprised somebody hasn't put together an ADV or D/S group around here but they can be two different rides depending on the bike. The only drawback I see is that it is a hiway ride to get to most places for a lot of people for just a day ride.
There are motels and a bar in Cloudcroft .
__________________
Beware those with no sense of humor as they will cause you misery.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I said, not what you understood or how you interpreted my words!!
'11 GSA supertanker/mothership, '11 R1200R (for sale), '11 Suzuki Burgman 400, '06 KTM 640A
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #10
kcounce OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMMotorcycle View Post
Stop by the shop (check the user name) and I can help you with most of the riding here in El Paso. If ya wanna dicuss it over a cold beverage, just come by around closing time, 5pm. Ritchie.
Sounds good!
kcounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
kcounce OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
It is a 85 mile to Alamogordo from EP and then east into the Sacramento Mountains. I rode 110 miles, about 40% dirt roads and the rest paved twistes for a cold Coke (beverage) in Weed just yesterday.
Alamo to High Rolls Paved, up Karr Canyon dirt to the Sunspot road south to Sunspot paved and twisty then the Timberon Road paved and twisty to Scott Able Canyon/dirt to Sacramento then Weed, then paved to Mayhill to Cloudcroft to High Rolls then the Calico Peak dirt road to the dirt La Luz Canyon road to La Luz and home. It is best when it is dry or damp as the mud up there can be sticky. By dirt I mean a gravel two track accessible by a rental car () going slow, nothing needed for a dedicated dirt bike on a ride like this. You and your F800GS will do fine on a ride like this with a few quick lessons or tips if you have problems. Make sure your comfortable standing and riding and let the bike do the work.
You might ask the guys over at the BMW store in EP as they will put together some rides but rarely from my experience. I mentioned it to Dean more than once to ride up here.

I am surprised somebody hasn't put together an ADV or D/S group around here but they can be two different rides depending on the bike. The only drawback I see is that it is a hiway ride to get to most places for a lot of people for just a day ride.
There are motels and a bar in Cloudcroft .
I have been wanting to see Cloudcroft. We went to Ruidoso for the casino but I was with the wife in the car, not as much fun.
kcounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #12
buls4evr
No Marks....
 
buls4evr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Michissippi & Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 2,318
In the winter I am down there in Deming NM and we ride both on and OR from Jan-April. We do an AZ trip somewhere every year. We ride a lot of 2 lane roads also and nice solid gravel. You will find that BMW does not like any OR very much.....especially washes....and is expensive to spill.Find a DRZ and learn to ride OR. It opens up a whole new world for you.PM me this winter if you wish.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
craydds
Beastly Adventurer
 
craydds's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcounce View Post
I have been wanting to see Cloudcroft. We went to Ruidoso for the casino but I was with the wife in the car, not as much fun.
Let me know if you want to go for a ride. We can head up to Cloudcroft, stop by the Western and see all my old homies. I used to live up there. We can ride dirt bikes out in the desert by my house in Cruces - I've got plenty of dirt bikes so we'll just hop on and go.
__________________
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
JonU
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: El Paso, TX
Oddometer: 647
A bit of thread necro, but now that I have a bike I would be more than happy to get out on the dirt roads and trails with people. I haven't been out on the bike yet but me and one of my friends have driven across the desert from Cattlemans to Red Sands using very little paved road. I would guess that once we turn off the road going past Cattlemans we use at most a mile of paved road. The rest (imo) appears to be FSRs. You do have to watch for cattle, but other than the occasional cattle guard, there aren't any gates.
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #15
buls4evr
No Marks....
 
buls4evr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Michissippi & Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 2,318
What did you get? you need to PM Danimal up in LC. There is a ton of riding in NM if you want to trailer (or ride) a little. It is mostly just empty ,beautiful country. If you want to trailer over toward Deming you need to learn the share ride system as it saves a lot of $$$ and a lot of worn out dirt tires from too much asphalt riding.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014