ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
hbmichael
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Perry,
Thanks for sharing. That is some beautiful country up there above Oakhurst. Id love to ride some of that.
hbmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #17
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,475
Triangle/Jerseydale roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
You know why? Because Cleveland does suck!

A couple of those pics are taken from the mountain that looks down in my Uncles ranch just off Jerseydale and Triangle roads. I know that area, it's really nice.
Hey Rob, Saturday we had lunch at the Triangle store, rode right by the ranch.

The views up there are spectacular, miles and miles of bitchen forest trails. John, the Shuteye lookout guy, says the SNF is the best managed forest in the country.

SNF rocks.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #18
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmichael View Post
Perry,
Thanks for sharing. That is some beautiful country up there above Oakhurst. Id love to ride some of that.
Michael, we missed ya brother.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #19
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Hey Rob, Saturday we had lunch at the Triangle store, rode right by the ranch.

The views up there are spectacular, miles and miles of bitchen forest trails.

SNF rocks.
The one between Darah Rd and the 49, on the left side if you're going North? Never eaten there, but ran over a coyote once right in front of the place around midnight heading back from the Mariposa County Fair. I went back to check on it and it was nowhere to be found. Uncle's place is actually up Jerseydale about ten miles at the intersection of Hites Cove and Apperson Mine. 68 Acres of awesomeness backed up the National Forest. From behind his house, you can get to Ferguson Ridge which will go over to Sweetwater Creek and straight down to the Merced River. Killer ST up there.

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 01:57 PM
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #20
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Talking Here's the rest of the RR from Sunday the 14th

Quote:
The one between Darah Rd and the 49, on the left side if you're going North? Never eaten there, but ran over a coyote once right in front of the place around midnight heading back from the Mariposa County Fair. I went back to check on it and it was nowhere to be found. Uncle's place is actually up Jerseydale about ten miles at the intersection of Hites Cove and Apperson Mine. 68 Acres of awesomeness backed up the National Forest. From behind his house, you can get to Ferguson Ridge which will go over to Sweetwater Creek and straight down to the Merced River. Killer ST up there.

Yes, that's the one, Triangle Market. Sounds like we need to plan a trip to your uncles place.

From the Shuteye lookout you can clearly see the backside of Mammoth Mountain. There are lots of strange rock formations on the peak.

the view east, we will be over there in a few weeks. The new 450 EXC kicks ass!

Shuteye lookout tower, 8200+ elevation, fantastic 360* views

KTM prefered parking zone.

the view west

the view south

John the Shuteye tower dude, he likes visitors, go visit him.

the view north

America the beautiful

By the end of the day, I had eaten alot of dirt chasing wrk2surf, the rally racing fool. Who said you can't slide a trails tire? He did it all day. Good times! Thanks Mike & Peter.

Three Brothers Racing team

pcvance screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 10:29 AM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #21
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,723
^
Very nice perry, next hall pass I would love to get up there

RIDE ON!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #22
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Yes, that's the one, Triangle Market. Sounds like we need to plan a trip to your uncles place.
Yep, Us Seymours have deep roots in the area for over 30 years now. Besides the ranch, my aunt owns a big antique craft store in Mariposa called Chocolate Soup, right where the 49 and 140 come together. They also own about half the block of buildings on the opposite side of the street, along with no less than 8 more houses in the vicinity between Cathy's Valley and Oakhurst. And my cousin was the guidance counselor and then the assistant principal at the Mariposa County High School. My other cousin is a Fire Dept Captain Somewhere in the area as well. Any of the areas I don't know, they will since they're all wheelers and MTB'rs.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #23
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Yep, Us Seymours have deep roots in the area for over 30 years now. Besides the ranch, my aunt owns a big antique craft store in Mariposa called Chocolate Soup, right where the 49 and 140 come together. They also own about half the block of buildings on the opposite side of the street, along with no less than 8 more houses in the vicinity between Cathy's Valley and Oakhurst. And my cousin was the guidance counselor and then the assistant principal at the Mariposa County High School. My other cousin is a Fire Dept Captain Somewhere in the area as well. Any of the areas I don't know, they will since they're all wheelers and MTB'rs.
Dang Rob, you are almost a local.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Dang Rob, you are almost a local.
Yeah, other than I haven't been up there since last year, all that property belongs to my aunt and uncle and I've never lived there.......
Old 07-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #25
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,459

Mariposa singletrack was on the menu saturday
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #26
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Nice pics Mike. Got s'more?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #27
mr. thumbs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
This was Thursday getting ready to leave my house.....

Started with 9 guys on Saturdays ride.......

mr. thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #28
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

lightning strikes have caused two fires near Mammoth pool .. very smoky up here (from Oakhurst to Shaver above 5000ft) in the AM..

satilite heat image from today

A new fire on the Sierra National Forest in California could turn out to have some potential. Started by lightning, the 2,500-acre Aspen Fire is in an area that last burned in 1938. The Forest got hammered by lightning over the last few days and this is one of 15 fires, but all of the others are less than a quarter of an acre. Estimating from the heat detected by a satellite, (shown in the two maps) it is approximately three miles long by one mile wide, just south of Mammoth Pool Reservoir, 16 miles south of Yosemite National Park, and 5 miles northwest of Huntington Lake.

Looks like its smoky everywhere near this thing..

http://www.mammothtimes.com/content/...e-sierra-crest
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 11:26 PM
Old 07-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #29
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

update... dont plan on going up to a few areas in the SNF

Update On The Aspen Fire

Written by Gina Clugston
EASTERN MADERA COUNTY - The Aspen fire, located seven miles northwest of Big Creek, Ca, continues to be very active and has now consumed over 2,500 acres.
According to reports, the fire moved to the north during the night, and is about 1,000 feet above the shoreline on the east side of Mammoth Pool Reservoir
Campgrounds from Fish Creek and Rock Creek north, on the Madera County side of the San Joaquin River are being evacuated.

Road guards will be stationed in the area to control traffic, and Sheriff's personnel will be letting people out, but not in (see info below).

Reports are that there was only one camper in the China Bar campground on Mammoth Pool, and that the individual would be notified to evacuate. Campers in the Soda Springs area, Sweetwater, Placer, Jackass Organizational, Little Jackass, and Lower Chiquito are also being told to leave the area.
Arnold Meadow is not being evacuated at this time, but campers are being put on notice to be ready to leave.

Personnel from the Minarets Ranger Station in North Fork will be posting informational signs along Mammoth Pool Road, variously known as Minarets Road (FR) 81, and Sierra Vista Scenic Byway (4S81).
Evacuations have now been ordered at Rancheria Campground at Huntington Lake in order to accomodate firefighters. Earlier evacuations were implemented at Sample Meadow and West Kaiser Campgrounds on the east side of the river.
Air operations have been hampered throughout the day due to dense smoke. At this hour, there are reports of significant up-canyon winds and fire activity is picking up.

A helicopter cargo drop to the fire was postponed this afternoon due to limited visibilty with the heavy smoke.
The Aspen fire is burning in very steep and dangerous terrain with the elevation ranging from 2,600 feet at the San Joaquin River, to nearly 7,000 near the leading of the fire.
(click photo to enlarge, Mammoth Pool Reservoir is in the north of the photo)
The Madera County Sheriff's Office is in the process of closing down the following roads in the area, and have sent this update on road access near Mammoth Pool -

1) Forest 81 (Mammoth Pool/Minarets Road) south of Fish Creek campground - allow traffic to leave, no one allowed to go north, toward Mammoth Pool
2) Forest 81 south of the intersection of Grizzly Road - allow people to leave, no one allowed south on Forest 81, send traffic up Grizzly Road
3) Intersection of Forest Service Road 8S09 and 7S07 - allow people to leave toward North Fork, but not to enter
Cooperating agencies on the Aspen Fire include the US Forest Service, the California Highway Patrol, the Madera County Sheriff's Office, and the Fresno County Sheriff's Office.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #30
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Ive been hiding in Mammoth for the last week and its been crazy here with the lightning storms. We are getting a ton of the smoke blown in here in the late afternoons which leads to awesome thunderstorms and lightning mixed in with ash and smoke from the West side.
Sadly, I've got to come back to Clovis tomorrow.