Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Centurion210 OP
Attitude Indicator

Oddometer: 84
2014 GSW Getting a Steering Damper as Standard Equipment!

How many of you '13 GSW Owners think that the bike needed a steering damper in the first place? Based on my test ride, the bike was very nimble and 'light on its feet' but I did not feel like it needed a damper. Just curious.
Centurion210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I have just short of 6,000 miles on my GSW (mixed use) and have not felt the need for a steering stabilizer BUT, if BMW thinks they need one, then I hope whatever they produce can be retrofitted to the 2013s.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
DMilan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
I do.

Only 2 test rides...
I'm no expert.

1. Felt LIGHT to me on test rides...

2. I've read of a couple/few complaints and seen a you tube review which mention handlebar wobble or some such issue.

3. There's a video circulating around of a gent thumping the right grip on GSWC as he motors down the road @ 60 mph. As I recall, his intent is to speak of the difference between light steering and instability. Shows the handlebar sort of oscillate as the steering centers and stabilizes from the thump of his palm hitting the grip. That oscillation is certainly a characteristic that neither my 2003 K1200GT w-stabilizer or my 2012 Suzuki DL650 without stabilizer exhibit.

my .02
Yeah, I think it may benefit from a steering damper.

I should add, to lessen the flaming, overall I like the bike, might buy one.

d'milan

DMilan screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 10:49 AM
DMilan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Centurion210 OP
Attitude Indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
I have just short of 6,000 miles on my GSW (mixed use) and have not felt the need for a steering stabilizer BUT, if BMW thinks they need one, then I hope whatever they produce can be retrofitted to the 2013s.
I bet they would have a retrofit option; at the end of the day, it would mean more money in BMW's pocket. I don't think they would offer it as a free retrofit on the '13 model though...
Old 07-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
nickgoa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
During my 1st test ride with the dealer demo (metzeller tires) I was worried that its way too light... So a steering damper would be a welcome addition ... So I thought.

My bike has anakee tires and although I have the weight disappear and the bike feels light. It is very confidence inspiring and nowhere near what I remember from the dealer demo.

I don't know if the tire can make that much of a difference but it is the only difference I can come up with.

FYI I was the first to ride both bikes.
nickgoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
The front end is not as light as a KLR but is much lighter feeling then a Tiger XC.
At first I was a little worried but after a few very slow miles I can see no problem.
Any new bike should be run at a very slow speed doing as many MSF and Ride Like a Pro exercises as possible. School parking lots are great in the summer when school is out. Many large churches will let you practice if you ask.
The key is to learn the bike in a safe environment and practice as much as possible.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
This is nothing more than BMW pacifying the public to the rampant outcry that occurred during the GSW launch.

The bike does have light steering, but it's far from not being stable. No more than many bikes I've been on. There were two supposed issues of wobble during the launch (with many people blaming a death on with no factual evidence) but none sense. Of all the bikes out there, I've heard of exactly ZERO cases of headshake.

The bike does not need a damper.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
The key is to learn the bike in a safe environment and practice as much as possible.
^
This X 1,000.

Well Said !

BTW: Only have about 300 miles on my GSLC but I love it overall. Steering feels GREAT !
Old 07-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Centurion210 OP
Attitude Indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
The front end is not as light as a KLR but is much lighter feeling then a Tiger XC.
At first I was a little worried but after a few very slow miles I can see no problem.
Any new bike should be run at a very slow speed doing as many MSF and Ride Like a Pro exercises as possible. School parking lots are great in the summer when school is out. Many large churches will let you practice if you ask.
I agree wholeheartedly. In piloting aircraft, we are also taught to establish personal minimums and know the limitations of our own abilities/experience. Things that would also help riders in being safe out there. It takes a while to get to know a bike and know its limits. All that said, I am still curious as to why BMW is adding steering dampers as standard equipment in'14 though...
Old 07-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
IMHO, the bike may not need a steering damper, but it certainly could benefit from one. I'd been planning to add one, nothing fancy like a Scotts, but maybe a hyperpro setup below the A-arm.
atwoodtja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:41 AM   #11
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,977
2600 miles of riding mine so far, and I have not experienced anything that makes me want a steering damper. And, FWIW, I have added them to bikes in the past, so it is a decision I am comfortable making.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
blazeone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
This is nothing more than BMW pacifying the public to the rampant outcry that occurred during the GSW launch.

The bike does have light steering, but it's far from not being stable. No more than many bikes I've been on. There were two supposed issues of wobble during the launch (with many people blaming a death on with no factual evidence) but none sense. Of all the bikes out there, I've heard of exactly ZERO cases of headshake.

+1. Mine has never had any thing close to a shake and I did the no hands and wack the bars test.

blazeone screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 05:27 AM
blazeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:42 AM   #13
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion210 View Post
2014 GSW Getting a Steering Damper as Standard Equipment!
Link?
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #14
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post

I would bet this is the case.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #15
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
No need for Steering Damper , maybe if you are a Yank and used to 8 lanes of smooth road and experience a little feedback when you go on a side road it may be required. Any competent rider will know that a damper isn't required and the ride is safe a secure for the designed purpose.