Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #31
DMilan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlite View Post
Isn't there ever a downside to having your steering damped? Would you be able to turn off the damping somehow, like turning off the ABS or the enduro mode?
Come push my 2003 K1200GT around in my garage, you gotta muscle the bars to change direction...Think it's mostly the damper, not the steering geometry. That's a downside, on my GT it seems very stiff, at pushing speed anyway.

From what I've seen, many aftermarket steering dampers are adjustable to suit the needs / desires of the rider.

OEM units are probably for the most part, non adjustable.

Don't think if you could ever completely disable one, unless you remove it..

d'milan

DMilan screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 10:32 AM
DMilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #32
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
HyperPro Damper

I added a HyperPro damper to my 2011 GS and I like it very much. Could I ride without it..yes, but I actually prefer the slightly heavier steering "feel" of the damper. It just seems more solid and stable to me, while adding an extra measure of security in wet or off road conditions.

On another note regarding the inclusion of a stock damper for 2014, I wonder if it has anything to do with the UK mag reviewer (cant remember which one it was?) that had a nasty tank slapper during their initial review of the 2013? That high speed wreck resulted in a snapped steering stop and a reduction in their rating from 5 stars to four. They specifically stated in the reviews that the "mysterious" handling flaw was the specific reason for their rating, which I'm pretty sure cast a shadow of doubt amongst their British and US readers.
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #33
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,370
That's usually how all the bikes that get dampers from the factory get them. Word gets out that they are slapper happy, and pretty soon everyone views them this way. Remember the Suzuki TL1000? It had such a bad rep that the factory fitted them as an official recall.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #34
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 696
This kind of thread is always amusing to me.
Does it "NEED" a steering damper to be ridden - obviously not.
Would it benefit from having one - absolutely.
Those that think it wouldn't benefit have never run a steering damper or at least a properly working one.
I was telling my buddy the other day that I would sure like one on mine and thought that BMW would come out with it standard in the near future.
Then I see this thread today - very cool.
I've notice headshake on my 13 with hard acceleration and I've notice front end deflection by rocks off road at speed. Of which both a steering damper would help.
I've raced in the dirt since I was a kid. I use to think they were some gimmick until I ran one - then I still didn't really see the big deal until I pulled it off. It is a benefit in so many ways without being a hindrance in any way I can understand why anyone wouldn't want one.
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #35
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbman View Post
I added a HyperPro damper to my 2011 GS and I like it very much. Could I ride without it..yes, but I actually prefer the slightly heavier steering "feel" of the damper. It just seems more solid and stable to me, while adding an extra measure of security in wet or off road conditions.
A heavier "feel" is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not so much concerned with tank-slappers, I just don't like how much the front end waggles under certain conditions. I'd like to have an adjustable damper on it. YMMV, of course.
atwoodtja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #36
WEEZAR
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob View Post
This kind of thread is always amusing to me.
Does it "NEED" a steering damper to be ridden - obviously not.
Would it benefit from having one - absolutely.
Those that think it wouldn't benefit have never run a steering damper or at least a properly working one.
I was telling my buddy the other day that I would sure like one on mine and thought that BMW would come out with it standard in the near future.
Then I see this thread today - very cool.
I've notice headshake on my 13 with hard acceleration and I've notice front end deflection by rocks off road at speed. Of which both a steering damper would help.
I've raced in the dirt since I was a kid. I use to think they were some gimmick until I ran one - then I still didn't really see the big deal until I pulled it off. It is a benefit in so many ways without being a hindrance in any way I can understand why anyone wouldn't want one.

I defiantly agree, I have had a few times that the front end got a little wobble both on road and off, it would only benefit from a good damper.
WEEZAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #37
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMilan View Post
Come push my 2003 K1200GT around in my garage, you gotta muscle the bars to change direction...Think it's mostly the damper, not the steering geometry. That's a downside, on my GT it seems very stiff, at pushing speed anyway.
It could have something to do with the 630 lb weight of that tug, no?

Regards, Paul
Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #38
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Isn't there ever a downside to having your steering damped? Would you be able to turn off the damping somehow, like turning off the ABS or the enduro mode?
I'm certain BMW coils find a way to electronically disable it, and couple it with ESA, ASC, ABS, Cruise Control,........ To enhance the riders sensory experience.

Regards, Paul
Old 07-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #39
gsrich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Tank Slapper

I rented a 1200GSW in Germany for three weeks this year. We rode two up with fully loaded bags. The bike had about 4000KM on it when we got it. My buddy owns a BMW dealership and got one of the press bikes for the trip. He was also two up. Both of these bikes exhibited tank slapper tendencies during power off deceleration while riding with no hands. The bars would start to oscillate when I let go and started decelerating. It would happen when the speed dropped to about 50KMH or so. I never let it get into a full tank slapper because of fear and the oscillations would stop if I kept a hand on the bars.
We thought it might be the load, so one day we went out solo for a ride without wives and bags. The tank slapper tendencies were still there but not as severe and actually would self-dampen as the speed got slower.
We both liked the bike much better than the old one. My buddy had already purchased his own GSW before the trip and I purchased mine last week.
I have been quite surprised that my new GSW (500 miles so far) does not have tank slapper tendencies. In fact, it is quite stable. Maybe it is the tires? The rental bike had ?? tires on it and the new bike has the new Anakees. Maybe tank slapping will start when the tires get more wear?
Should BMW add a damper? Not a bad idea, but currently I don’t need it.
gsrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #40
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
If the dampner is not adjustable, yes their is a downside, Heavy steering.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #41
DMilan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
It could have something to do with the 630 lb weight of that tug, no?

Regards, Paul
you knockin' my ride?

Fair enough Paul....
She's a portly vessel...

However, in addition to the weight, you can FEEL the damper fighting you as you try to muscle it about in the garage.
You start to crank the bars... and BOOM, the hydraulic resistance kicks in...ughhhhh

Now, on the open road, at speed, it's solid and stable as can be.
For that reason, it's really a good slab (turnpike and the like) bike as well....
You're locked in with that stiff heavy steering, not twitchy at all, like you're on rails.

I recall reading a review back in the day, "If you're a fan of fast sweeping curves, you won't be disapointed"

d'milan

DMilan screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 01:53 PM
DMilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #42
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
it is possible to make a damper that can be fully disabled. I had a RTT damper on my KTM 950 that had a handle bar switch that switched from 0 to 50% to 100% damping. thats not to say the BMW model will have anything similar.

I like having a damper on any bike that I go faster than 35mph off road. It helps keep the ground from steering you.

Geof
Old 07-18-2013, 02:31 AM   #43
WEEZAR
n00b

Oddometer: 9
So does anyone have a Steering Damper on a 2013 LC yet? If so where did ya get it, and reviews? I plan on getting one soon, but there is not too many out there yet for it.
WEEZAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #44
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 696
Hyperpro will have thiers for the '13 by the end of Aug. - or at least that's when they said they would. As far as reviews - search on here for hyperpro, quite a few here are running them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEZAR View Post
So does anyone have a Steering Damper on a 2013 LC yet? If so where did ya get it, and reviews? I plan on getting one soon, but there is not too many out there yet for it.
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #45
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
HyperPro Adjustability

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
it is possible to make a damper that can be fully disabled. I had a RTT damper on my KTM 950 that had a handle bar switch that switched from 0 to 50% to 100% damping. thats not to say the BMW model will have anything similar.

I like having a damper on any bike that I go faster than 35mph off road. It helps keep the ground from steering you.

Geof

Yeah, you can dial back the Hyperpro to give almost no dampening effect at all if that's what you want for a given application. For the money and ease of installation I think the HyperPro is hard to beat. If the 2014 BMW damper isnt adjustable, I'd just as soon not have it at all.
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote