Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #46
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
This is nothing more than BMW pacifying the public to the rampant outcry that occurred during the GSW launch.

The bike does have light steering, but it's far from not being stable. No more than many bikes I've been on. There were two supposed issues of wobble during the launch (with many people blaming a death on with no factual evidence) but none sense. Of all the bikes out there, I've heard of exactly ZERO cases of headshake.

The bike does not need a damper.

Agree- I had a R1100R with a damper. It sucked. I bet most of these end up in a box in the garage....

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #47
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbman View Post
If the 2014 BMW damper isnt adjustable, I'd just as soon not have it at all.
X2 - I read alot of guys here talking about steering dampers slowing down steering. That just makes me think they don't understand how to adjust them properly or what they are actually supose to do. I good/properly adjusted steering damper will not make the steering hard or slow feeling. It fact you shouldn't really notice it at all.
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #48
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
assuming the design allows for adjustment.....

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #49
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
assuming the design allows for adjustment.....
Old 07-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #50
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob View Post
X2 - I read alot of guys here talking about steering dampers slowing down steering. That just makes me think they don't understand how to adjust them properly or what they are actually supose to do. I good/properly adjusted steering damper will not make the steering hard or slow feeling. It fact you shouldn't really notice it at all.
+1. Well said. BMW would not be making the change, increase build cost and weight, without due cause.

BUT it seems everyone here is a steering damper expert.

Ya gotta remember that over time and miles these things will wear and require service or replacement. Many folks seem to overlook that fact.

RegarD, Paul
Old 07-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #51
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
An Expert???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
+1. Well said. BMW would not be making the change, increase build cost and weight, without due cause.

BUT it seems everyone here is a steering damper expert.

Ya gotta remember that over time and miles these things will wear and require service or replacement. Many folks seem to overlook that fact.

RegarD, Paul

No, didn't read any responses here from posters claiming to be "experts", just some people with actual experience using a steering damper. I hate inflammatory statements made by those who simply want to make a comment regardless of being constructive.

Go ride your bike (un-dampened, of course!).....
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #52
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbman View Post
No, didn't read any responses here from posters claiming to be "experts", just some people with actual experience using a steering damper. I hate inflammatory statements made by those who simply want to make a comment regardless of being constructive.

Go ride your bike (un-dampened, of course!).....
No need to get your panties in a wad!

So now we need to post only constructive comments eh. That will be the death of any web festival!

Does "it sucked" count as constructive, just check'n.
Regards, Paul
Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #53
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
I for one am surprised that BMW is adding the damper as standard equipment. I have been following the development of the new R1200GS since I first saw spy shots on the internet. I have read reviews from several print and internet publications as well as owner reviews on here and other public forums and to date, other than a vague reference in a couple of foreign print magazines to some head shake I have yet to read anything regarding a need for a steering dampner.

So, why the addition? It's a relativity expense part and even a cheep one installed on 20-30,000 unites is a major cost. No to mention warranty coverage.

Several people on here are saying that they don't think the bike needs the damper or that it will make the steering heavy and harm performance. But some engineer in Germany thinks it does, and he convinced a lot of people at BMW Motorrad that it was needed.

That or a Lawyer...
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #54
Darklord99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Mine already has one....... Me!

It feels just like my 2010 in handling (maybe a little lighter) on the tar & I haven't had it in the dirt yet, but I don't expect any surprises.

I couldn't imagine mine with one.

Cheers,

DL
Darklord99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #55
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:

So now we need to post only constructive comments eh. That will be the death of any web festival!

Regards, Paul
I'm pretty sure your panties were wadded first. You got bent out of shape that people were saying it wasn't needed.

NOBODY has said it's bad that BMW wants to install one. Its probably a fair assumption that we all would be OK with having one, but the bike does not need one. That's the point being made. It's a PR move. A move that will ultimately cost the consumer.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #56
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Constructive

Quote:

Regards, Paul
Yeah, actually it would help make this forum valuable if more comments were constructive, or at least intelligent.

BTW, not sure what a "web festival" is, is that where you buy your panties? (was that constructive?.... no? see what I mean?)
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #57
The Last Cowboy
Gettin' by

Oddometer: 133
I'm guessing that there wont be a retro fit recall.

If that's the case there will be people here raising hell that they should get one for free.

Then there will be big discussions on the pros and cons, and of the original engineer's intentions for this bike versus the "fixxes" and the issues arising from it.
2007 DL1000 Vstrom
The Last Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #58
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I wish Scotts would come out with a damper for the GSW -- but they probably won't, at least not in my lifetime.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #59
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Cowboy View Post
I'm guessing that there wont be a retro fit recall.

If that's the case there will be people here raising hell that they should get one for free.

Then there will be big discussions on the pros and cons, and of the original engineer's intentions for this bike versus the "fixxes" and the issues arising from it.
LOL - sad but you are probably right.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #60
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I'm pretty sure your panties were wadded first. You got bent out of shape that people were saying it wasn't needed.

NOBODY has said it's bad that BMW wants to install one. Its probably a fair assumption that we all would be OK with having one, but the bike does not need one. That's the point being made. It's a PR move. A move that will ultimately cost the consumer.
Why do you say it doesn't need one? Are you an engineer in MC chassis design and suspension? Or are you just expressing an opinion?
What PR issue do you think they want to address?

Just to set the record straight, here's a fact.... I ride a 2011 R12R WITH a damper. Now an opinion, it doesn't suck.
In fact, I find it to be a damn good handling bike.

Regards, Paul