Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
grumpyman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
garmin g60csx basecamp/mapsource issues

ok every time time i open either mapsource or basecamp it goes through the whole initial starting procedure where i have to click accept and it starts like the first time.
am i closing it wrong? this just seems silly.
also i cannot "see" two lane blacktop and/or fire roads until i close in so tight that i lose overall perspective. is there a way to make these roads more visible from further out?
the specific road i am having an issue with is mines rd from livermore california south as i am trying to build a small road/fire trail route to the carizzio plain from oakland ca
i am using the topo 24k us west dvd
is there a california map with better coverage of small roads i need
i don't seem to have these issue's with google

so my first problem (i think) is that i need to set a new opening icon for mapsorce and/or basecamp where i am not reinstalling it each time i start

and my second is i need to see small roads/fire trails from further out

i am looking forward to using this device but am banging my head against a wall over these stumbling blocks
grumpyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
grumpyman OP
Adventurer

it's a registration issue

i have seemingly found the issue and as a used device with maps on it i need to either reg it in my name and buy new maps or figure out how to communicate with a device regged to the p.o.
i seem to remember him saying something about moving his reg to his new device
unfortunatly i need to use city nav and b/camp to build and/or d/load the routes i want
anybody with experience in buying used g60's your help is needed
do i call garmin and rereg it and just pay for the new maps like the west topo 24 i just bought but did not reg as i have not figured out how to rereg my device
Old 07-15-2013, 03:04 AM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyman View Post
as a used device with maps on it i need to either reg it in my name and buy new maps or figure out how to communicate with a device regged to the p.o.
i seem to remember him saying something about moving his reg to his new device
You need the prior owner to release the registration for the device or you will have problems registering it, and buying map data.

Basically, if you have the original source disks, and the original map data registration codes for any locked products (like city navigator) you will be able to use those. Otherwise, you will have to buy new map data.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,928
I bought a used Montana650T. I had no problem registering it (although the previous owner might not have registered it). Anyway, I plugged it into my Mac and logged onto the Garmin sight and went through the registration process. Then I emailed Garmin support just in case, and they sent me a note back that it was registered, so somehow it must have accepted it. They also advised me my 2010 CN would not work and that I had to buy a new one for my Montana. Amazon for $45.

It came in the form of a SD microcard. I loaded it into the device and then plugged into basecamp. Basecamp read the new maps and switched to it. Maybe 10 minutes.

Opon opening my Basecamp to search Mines Rd for you, I went to the top maps tab. There I found my global base map, my old 2010 CN version, and my new 2013 version. I clicked on 2013 and searched Livermore.

I found your Mines Rd, but I had to zoom in pretty close and have my map detail set in the middle. I traced Mines Rd south of Tesla to an intersection with Del Puerto Creek Rd and San Antonio Valley Rd. Both of these roads I could zoom way out and still see them. Del Puerto went east to I5 near Patterson. San Antonio went west to Mt. Hamilton and San Jose.

I think San Antonio and Puerto Creek roads must be a larger path from Mt. Hamilton to Patterson. Mines road must be a step above a goat path.

Hope that helps.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
grumpyman OP
Adventurer

mines rd size

all those roads are two lane asphalt with lines
except for early bits of mines due to rock constriction
but with citynav you were able to see them from a little ways out

you can use mines and calaveras to make a nice little loop from the east bay crossing over mt hamilton and looping back up towards livermore
Old 07-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyman View Post
all those roads are two lane asphalt with lines
except for early bits of mines due to rock constriction
but with citynav you were able to see them from a little ways out

you can use mines and calaveras to make a nice little loop from the east bay crossing over mt hamilton and looping back up towards livermore
Yes I could see Mines Rd from about 3 or 4 clicks from the closest zoom. Makes it pretty slow for planning.

Like you, my preference is to scout a trip at my laptop and on Google Maps. Then I 'draw' tracks on basecamp and transfer it to my 60Csx. The roads have been there for me. I live in Boston, but I keep a dual sport in Scottsdale to explore the roads I find. I've been turned back by a fence or a water crossing a few times, but not often.

I bought a Montana, just when I was getting real comfy with my 60. So I am starting over again. The 60 was great for all my trail use. Very simple the way I used it. I could load tracks and forget to send the maps. I did that in Utah on the Pony Express trail. I just followed the tracks without the maps, and there was always a road there. But I had to zoom in close to make sure I didn't go by a turn before I knew it. I got lost a couple times and one of us ran out of gas in some remote forest land in Nevada, but we made it with little drama, but a LOT of anxiety.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
grumpyman OP
Adventurer

thanx all

i have found some goodtutorials at dual sport west
and at ridedualsport
still just slowly putting it together