User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Rocktown OP
Reformed

Oddometer: 323
Xr650l or dr 650

My 02 xrl was stolen last week. I loved that bike. Everything about it worked good for me. Even the extremely high seat hight. The only mod I had was a white bro's e-series. I was thinking about replacing it with a direct honda replacement. But Suzuki is running some really great financing deals right now. So I was wondering do you guys think a dr650 would be a good replacement or my pig? I know I will loose some seat hight and I'm ok with that. I ride 80% street. Thanks.
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
My 02 xrl was stolen last week. I loved that bike. Everything about it worked good for me. Even the extremely high seat hight. The only mod I had was a white bro's e-series. I was thinking about replacing it with a direct honda replacement. But Suzuki is running some really great financing deals right now. So I was wondering do you guys think a dr650 would be a good replacement or my pig? I know I will loose some seat hight and I'm ok with that. I ride 80% street. Thanks.
You can build a seat and suspension up. Many DR owners mod these items anyway. I'd also suggest lowering the pegs if you have long legs. It can actually be more spacious than an XRL.

The stock DR has meh power delivery, but the aftermarket can bump it up past 50WHP. It runs smoother and resists overheating better than most thumpers. It makes a pretty good streetbike for as simple and archaic as it is.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Rocktown OP
Reformed

Oddometer: 323
Thanks. I was wondering how the power of the dr would compare to my old xrl. The xrl didn't offer much above 75, but I really don't need that. It had plenty of punch until 65.
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
jpk1080
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Do people do the 3x3 mods to the 650's as well or mostly just the drz?
jpk1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1080 View Post
Do people do the 3x3 mods to the 650's as well or mostly just the drz?
Cutting the airbox is a common mod, as is merely removing the snorkel. You'll likely want to also richen the fueling if doing these kinds of mods. Running too lean or too rich can damage an engine.

Check out the DR650 section at www.procycle.us, as well as www.kientech.com. The DR650 wikia webpage is also worth a look.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
I've worked on both the DR650 extensively and a couple XR's. The XR's were rejetted and airbox opened up and both seemed to produce more acceleration than the DR's for the same work done. That said it's not a big difference. If you like the seat height and other aspects of the Honda I would stay with it even though I have a completely reworked DR that is magic off road. The Honda requires less suspension money thrown at it to work really well off road and is just as smooth as the DR on road.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
I've worked on both the DR650 extensively and a couple XR's. The XR's were rejetted and airbox opened up and both seemed to produce more acceleration than the DR's for the same work done. That said it's not a big difference. If you like the seat height and other aspects of the Honda I would stay with it even though I have a completely reworked DR that is magic off road. The Honda requires less suspension money thrown at it to work really well off road and is just as smooth as the DR on road.
+1
I have been working on a friends XR650L, IMS tank, jet kit, Uni filter, gold valves next, the XR is for sure stronger than my DR650, the XR will lift the front wheel in 1st and 2nd, (stock gearing), also the stock suspension on the XR is better than my valved front/rear DR suspension, in my opinion his XR is superior to my DR.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote