Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #31
Pappy541 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
The point is not the lack of gear because I see it every day. I do not care what you wear.
This has nothing to do with brand other than him calling mine Jap crap.
The point is his bright green shirt saying can you see me now but not thinking he has a role in his safety. Yes I should have kept my mouth shut. I will say it again I should have kept my mouth shut. But in my line of work I see accidents and Injuries every day. I know that going down wearing crocks and shorts is going to leave a mark. However we have the right to wear what we want. So again I understand my mistake and realize to just let it go.
Thanks for helping me get back on track to being an observer of life rather that sticking foot in mouth.
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #32
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,045
Overall, loss of skin is relatively trivial compared with bone or organ injurys.

Riding gear will protect you aginst the former, but not the latter.
farqhuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #33
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy541
Forgive me I crossed the line. But I just could not help myself.
Saturday while at the gas pump a dude on a loud piped Harley pulled up at the pump next door. His riding gear consisted of a very bright green T-shirt that read: can you see me now ASSHOLE, short pants, crocks for footwear and a cheap small helmet of some type that had no liner and was strapped to the passenger peg. I told the dude that I liked his shirt but thought it hypocritical considering his riding gear. He said what you talking about.? I said short pants, no gloves,crocks and a helmet that is no better than wearing a pot on your head. He went ballistic. He told me I was riding Jap crap ( actually a GS) and that I should get a real bike. He ranted for several minutes and Other people by now were starting to laugh with me at him. He was so mad he forgot to get gas and rode off saying FU with his little helmet still swinging on the passenger peg.

Please forgive me, Harley dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
What I find amazing is all the nasty replies insinuating BMW riders are assholes! Not that some are not, but aren't you being the same judgemental pricks as the OP was against the Harley riders?

Amazing how some people think that insulting someone for insulting someone else somehow makes them less of a "dick" for doing it.

Carry on, and enjoy YOUR superiority!

Jim
On the contrary, the op proves the arrogance typical of bmw riders, and dun started this thread that only an arrogant asshole bmw rider would start.
Both camps (bmw 'n harley) pay way too much fer their lifestyle status symbols, 'n show how damn judgmental they iz.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #34
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy541 View Post
The point is not the lack of gear because I see it every day. I do not care what you wear.
The point is his bright green shirt saying can you see me now but not thinking he has a role in his safety. Yes I should have kept my mouth shut. I will say it again I should have kept my mouth shut. But in my line of work I see accidents and Injuries every day. I know that going down wearing crocks and shorts is going to leave a mark. However we have the right to wear what we want. So again I understand my mistake and realize to just let it go.
Thanks for helping me get back on track to being an observer of life rather that sticking foot in mouth.
You have guts showing yourself back on this thread after all the replies you got

Not everyone is willing to admit their mistakes.

A few comments:

Yes, what you did was stupid, but I'm not going to beat that dead horse.

Given the shirt the Harley rider was wearing, you should not have been surprised at his response. I would expect that anyone wearing a shirt like that, DILLIGAF, or similar, might have an attitude. Yes, he was a jerk. His response was way out of line. A simple, "thank you for your concern" or maybe an ADV salute would have been sufficient.

Posting in this forum was probably more stupid than you original mistake since the response by many on this forum to anything they disagree with or dislike is just as bad as that Harley guy's.

Actually, people should be thanking you for the entertainment value so many have experienced from this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
What I find amazing is all the nasty replies insinuating BMW riders are assholes! Not that some are not, but aren't you being the same judgemental pricks as the OP was against the Harley riders?

Amazing how some people think that insulting someone for insulting someone else somehow makes them less of a "dick" for doing it.

Carry on, and enjoy YOUR superiority!

Jim
+1

edit: Not sure I agree with all of this statement, the OP may have made a mistake but I wouldn't go so far as saying he is a judgemental prick.

klaviator screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 10:45 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #35
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
On the contrary, the op proves the arrogance typical of bmw riders, and dun started this thread that only an arrogant asshole bmw rider would start.
Both camps (bmw 'n harley) pay way too much fer their lifestyle status symbols, 'n show how damn judgmental they iz.

Ouch. I am so put in my place. Nothing left to do but to sell the GS and buy a Yamaha so I can be a pleasant contributing member of society again.
seatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #36
Pappy541 OP
Studly Adventurer

Maybe I should go to rehab.
Anybody that has not put foot in mouth can buy the drinks.
Should I ride the KLR, bring the truck or call a cab. On second thought I think the cab is the choice because this may take more than 1
Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #37
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
I guess I don't see the point criticizing someone elses' choices for gear (or lack of gear). Granted the shirt seems begging for attention, but why be a jerk?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #38
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
Quote:
First of all, I think it took balls to confront someone like that. I am pretty sure I wouldn't do it.

Secondly, I noticed that you apologized to the Harley dude in your first post and you have repeatedly apologized for offending anyone who was offended.

And lastly, I think it's funny how so much of this site is dedicated to the utter bashing of Harley and anything Harley related and yet, most of the responders to this thread have fallen in on you like you were the first one on this site to have something to say about a Harley rider. The only difference between you and most of the rest of us is that you bashed the guy to his face and not just on the interwebs.

If I was you, I'd tell everyone with a negative response to eat a bowl of dicks.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #39
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Maybe I should go to rehab.
Anybody that has not put foot in mouth can buy the drinks.
Should I ride the KLR, bring the truck or call a cab. On second thought I think the cab is the choice because this may take more than 1
What, you ride a KLR??? Obviously you must be a judgemental prick with arrogant airs of superiority.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #40
Pappy541 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
What, you ride a KLR??? Obviously you must be a judgemental prick with arrogant airs of superiority.

This thread has turned for sure. I stuck my foot in mouth but now many are
much worse than I ever was. And I was accused of being a Harley basher while you bash me and my bikes. Typical. All you bashers have vindicated me by being even worse.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #41
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatec View Post
Ouch. I am so put in my place. Nothing left to do but to sell the GS and buy a Yamaha so I can be a pleasant contributing member of society again.
Or buy a KTM so you can look down on EVERYONE ELSE.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #42
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This thread has turned for sure. I stuck my foot in mouth but now many are
much worse than I ever was. And I was accused of being a Harley basher while you bash me and my bikes. Typical. All you bashers have vindicated me by being even worse.
Lighten up dude, I thought It was obvious I was making a joke. That's what the was for. As a KLR rider I have the right to make jokes about other KLR riders.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #43
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operose
It's not about the brand it's about being an asshole. Had a nice chat with some...
Ain't that the truth. I've learnt over the years that there are good rivers everywhere, irrespective of the marque. I even have one of those BADD shirts, in Dayglo Orange. Doesn't matter if I wear it on the bike, I always wear a Mesh jacket on top. My eye doctor did get a big chuckle over it, though ("Can You See Me Now").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
This thread has turned for sure. I stuck my foot in mouth but
It did turn into a flamefest, didn't it. And it did bring out some of the forum AH's who posted as bad or worse. But you did good coming back and manning-up.

Don't feel bad. "It's hard to be humble when you ride The Best"...

:)

--Bill
Old 07-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #44
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZBV486ignTk

Your do-gooder intervention in this case is every bit as welcome as an eco-terrorist wannabe hipster laying into a diesel truck driver in the video above.

Far too many people like to inflict the word "should" on other people. This is how umpteen bajillion bad laws get made and we all fight each other over political horse crap.

Ride your ride. He'll ride his.

Live your life. He'll live his.
That Prius woman's got some balls. I don't get the "terrorist" part, and just because she doesn't want someone blowing exhaust in her face makes her a do-gooder?
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #45
majorhavoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
OP seems to have edited his initial post so I have no clue what he was originally talking about. But based on his celebratory emoticons, I gather he was extremely proud of doing it.

But I have to say I find these "I pissed off a Harley rider today!/I was pissed off by a Harley rider today!" type threads incredibly childish.

It's hard for me to articulate exactly why they irk me so, but I think it has something to do with the odd tribe-like mentality that appears to come over some riders once they self-identify with a certain motorcycle type/brand.

Either that or it's the assumption an OP makes in these kinds of threads that we'll all know exactly what he's talking about when he says "a Harley rider". Like they're some sort of homogenous group where if you've met one, you've met them all. Which to me is pretty much the functional definition of 'prejudice'.

Or maybe I'm just missing out on some essential element of the motorcycle ethos that demands I learn to hate, or at least make fun of, people based on ridiculous factors like the kind of bike they ride.
majorhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote