Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #46
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Or buy a KTM so you can look down on EVERYONE ELSE.
Now yer tawkin'!

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #47
Pappy541 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavoc View Post
I have to say I find these "I pissed off a Harley rider today!/I was pissed off by a Harley rider today!" type threads incredibly childish.

It's hard for me to articulate exactly why they irk me so, but I think it has something to do with the odd tribe-like mentality that appears to come over some riders once they self-identify with a certain motorcycle type/brand.

Either that or it's the assumption an OP makes in these kinds of threads that we'll all know exactly what he's talking about when he says "a Harley rider". Like they're some sort of homogenous group where if you've met one, you've met them all. Which to me is pretty much the functional definition of 'prejudice'.

Or maybe I'm just missing out on some essential element of the motorcycle ethos that demands I learn to hate, or at least make fun of, people based on ridiculous factors like the kind of bike they ride.
------------------------------
Hey butthead !!! You know the difference between a Harley rider and a Honda Rider? The Harley rider is on a Harley. The only reason it was titled Harley rider was because he was on a Harley. He is the one that called mine jap crap and the only reason I said I had a GS was to show he had no idea.

Now Mr. Havoc I will take my lumps when they are due but you have no business making things up. Chill and say you are sorry for jumping to a conclusion that was wrong. Go jump on a donkey or someone that thinks riding a Harley or any other brand that is different than their's is a bad thing.
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #48
majorhavoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy541 View Post
Hey butthead !!! You know the difference between a Harley rider and a Honda Rider? The Harley rider is on a Harley. The only reason it was titled Harley rider was because he was on a Harley. He is the one that called mine jap crap and the only reason I said I had a GS was to show he had no idea.

Now Mr. Havoc I will take my lumps when they are due but you have no business making things up. Chill and say you are sorry for jumping to a conclusion that was wrong. Go jump on a donkey or someone that thinks riding a Harley or any other brand that is different than their's is a bad thing.
Make things up? What on earth are you talking about? Your original post has no words in it. The status line on the bottom of it says you edited it earlier today. I'm guessing you took it down.

So I have no idea about "jap crap" or "GS" or anything else because the only information I have available to me is the title of your post ("How to make a Harley rider mad, very mad") and a string of childish emoticons.

The only thing I can possibly divine from your original post is that you had some sort of interaction with another motorcyclist, you wanted us all to know you pissed him/her off real good and, based on your emoticons, you seem inordinately proud of it.

Oh yes: and you felt it was somehow very important to point out that it was a Harley rider.

If you find yourself feeling that your original point would have somehow been diminished if you had substituted "rude/irresponsible motorcyclist" for "Harley rider", then I rest my case.
majorhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #49
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
Quote:
Make things up? What on earth are you talking about? Your original post has no words in it. The status line on the bottom of it says you edited it earlier today. I'm guessing you took it down.

So I have no idea about "jap crap" or "GS" or anything else because the only information I have available to me is the title of your post ("How to make a Harley rider mad, very mad") and a string of childish emoticons.

The only thing I can possibly divine from your original post is that you had some sort of interaction with another motorcyclist, you wanted us all to know you pissed him/her off real good and, based on your emoticons, you seem inordinately proud of it.

Oh yes: and you felt it was somehow very important to point out that it was a Harley rider.

If you find yourself feeling that your original point would have somehow been diminished if you had substituted "rude/irresponsible motorcyclist" for "Harley rider", then I rest my case.
If you read through this thread you can find the OP's original post since it's been quoted by others. You are making assumptions without any knowledge of what the OP posted. I read the original post before there where any replies and was not really sure what the OP really meant. I didn't post a reply at that time but was pretty sure the shit would hit the fan soon enough. The OP has admitted it was a stupid move on his part. Every one makes mistakes at some time. Perhaps you should read the whole thread before jumping in.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #50
majorhavoc
Adventurer

Fine. I apologize if I jumped the gun. I have now read through this entire sordid thread.

It would not have occurred to me to find OP's original text elsewhere in the thread. What I would expect from reading everyone else's responses is to be potentially swayed by the four page dogpile this topic has turned out to be.

I read OP's original post and was making an observation in response to that. Only that.

My observation was one of generality, not specific to OP's particular interaction with this unfortunate rider. His post just happened to be the latest example of a bias I've noticed in this and other motorcycling forums.

I pass riders of all types on the roads every day I ride. Some obviously more experienced/well-equipped than I, others clearly less so.

It simply doesn't occur to me to pass any judgement about them that's strong enough to post about. And if for some reason I did, I honestly cannot fathom what the relevance would be of the type of bike the other guy was riding.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #51
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
As a KLR rider I have the right to make jokes about other KLR riders.
I thought you were a scooter dude terrorizing the Dragon with your knee dragging.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #52
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Fine. I apologize if I jumped the gun. I have now read through this entire sordid thread.

It would not have occurred to me to find OP's original text elsewhere in the thread. What I would expect from reading everyone else's responses is to be potentially swayed by the four page dogpile this topic has turned out to be.

I read OP's original post and was making an observation in response to that. Only that.

My observation was one of generality, not specific to OP's particular interaction with this unfortunate rider. His post just happened to be the latest example of a bias I've noticed in this and other motorcycling forums.

I pass riders of all types on the roads every day I ride. Some obviously more experienced/well-equipped than I, others clearly less so.

It simply doesn't occur to me to pass any judgement about them that's strong enough to post about. And if for some reason I did, I honestly cannot fathom what the relevance would be of the type of bike the other guy was riding.
Fair enough. I think the OP made two mistakes.

1. He made a comment to the Harley Rider. The OP apologized for this.

2. He posted his experience on this forum where so many are quick to judge and condemn.

I didn't get any anti harley bias from the OP's posts. Only that he saw what the Harley rider was wearing to be inconsistent. I'm sure if the other rider had been riding a Honda the OP would have called him a Honda rider. I wonder if everyone would have accused the OP of being a Honda hater if that had been the case.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #53
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Hey guys, I think you should take it easy on Pappy541. You see, I am that Harley a-hole he saw at the station. His story is true. I left that gas station without gassing up because I was so ashamed of my ignorance.

That tongue lashing he gave me about safety really hit home. The next day I traded my Harley for a GS. I think it will be a great bike if they can get the electrical problems figured out. I also bought a Shuberth & an Aerostich 1 pc suit. I am feeling much better about myself now.

So, no hard feelings Pappy541. I hope we can get together and intimidate kids at the skate park sometime. Maybe afterward we could ride to Starbucks and you could show me the proper way to order a latte.

Thanks
Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #54
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I thought you were a scooter dude terrorizing the Dragon with your knee dragging.
Watch yourself. I've got a loaded milk crate and I'm not afraid to use it.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #55
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
In the US:
it is your body, if you hurt it, you pay. So, do not care for each other, it all the same.

In Canada:
it is government`s body. if you hurt it, we all pay. so we care for each other and you should f*ing protect yourself because I don`t want to pay taxes to heal your stupidity.

In both country:
you are an individual that hopefully contribute to society. your invalidity because you lacked protection may cause a loss to the company you work for, and more or less directly to the potential of production of your country. you should be a good citizen and protect the many years of investment people and yourself put in your own life. Be a good citizen and stay healthy; wear protection.

dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #56
majorhavoc
Adventurer

To Pappy541:

Having read the entire thread, I'd be remiss if I didn't say that was classy of you to concede you may have made a mistake. I know understand why you deleted your original post.

For my part, I jumped the gun. I made it needlessly personal and that understandably offended you. I was out of line. I am sorry for doing that.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #57
Pappy541 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Thanks.
I for sure made a mistake. 2 times.

My point was about a dude wanting other drivers to see him and drive accordingly. Good.
However I thought his shorts. Crocks. And a plastic lid hanging on the foot pegs was hypocritical of the message he wanted to send. My emotions got the best of me.
Not a Harley bash in any way. Just me being stupid. Sort of like your post when you jumped me. All is well I learn everyday
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #58
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

I find it interesting that no one has commented on the response of the Harley rider. Let's look at a hypothetical reversed situation. Lets suppose you are on your Hon/Kaw/Suz/Yam/KTM etc.(or even a BMW). You stop to get gas on a really hot day. You are wearing mesh pants/Jacket, FF Helmet & Gloves. Some Harley Rider asks you why are you wearing all that gear on such a hot day. Would you launch into a 5 minute tirade and call him a f&*#ing pirate and his bike a Hardley Ableson piece of junk??? Would it be acceptable if you did. Or what if the guy was on a metric cruiser, or a moped?

I've been asked that many times. I don't recall ever making a big deal over it even though many of those people probably thought I was stupid for wearing all that gear.

For the record, I'm not a Harley hater or an ATGATT rider. Just trying to make a point.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #59
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy541 View Post
Thanks.
I for sure made a mistake. 2 times.

My point was about a dude wanting other drivers to see him and drive accordingly. Good.
However I thought his shorts. Crocks. And a plastic lid hanging on the foot pegs was hypocritical of the message he wanted to send. My emotions got the best of me.
Not a Harley bash in any way. Just me being stupid. Sort of like your post when you jumped me. All is well I learn everyday
We all make mistakes. I think that what we do in response to those mistakes says more about our character than the fact we made the mistake in the first place.

I apologize if some of my previous posts were not clear. I'm not a great writer. If I was I'd probably own a BMW instead of a beat up old KLR

Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #60
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,629
This thread is classic ADV. One guy makes the wrong move insulting or pissing off another bike rider,of an un-mentionable brand.
And everybody jumps on the bandwagon insulting anything and everything that may need insulting.

Carry on,its just how it goes,vent thy spleen.