Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #91
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Sooo , if I'm on ignore I can REALLY bust your balls and we all have a laugh without the pompous replies. Cool.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #92
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
I like to think of it as "inbred, mouth breathing, knuckle dragging, bad ass biker image"

--Bill
Fair enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
You're giving the BMW guys an even worse name. Please try not to live up to everyone elses expectations.
Well, there's another inmate who has you on ignore. I have to say, your consistent.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #93
dmason
goofball

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
Overall, loss of skin is relatively trivial compared with bone or organ injurys.

Riding gear will protect you aginst the former, but not the latter.
Wrong. Racers and trackday riders the world over are high-siding themselves to the moon on a daily basis and more often than not walking away with little to no injury and it's because of the gear. Watch MotoGP sometime.

Roadracing World magazine publishes the crash/injury stats for MotoGP every year. In 2012 there was something like 930 crashes resulting in like 27 broken bones, mostly fingers and a few collarbones. Loud pipes don't save lives but gear sure does.
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:37 AM   #94
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmason View Post
Wrong. Racers and trackday riders the world over are high-siding themselves to the moon on a daily basis and more often than not walking away with little to no injury and it's because of the gear. Watch MotoGP sometime.

Roadracing World magazine publishes the crash/injury stats for MotoGP every year. In 2012 there was something like 930 crashes resulting in like 27 broken bones, mostly fingers and a few collarbones. Loud pipes don't save lives but gear sure does.
Yeah, but...

I'm ATGATT, and agree that it makes a huge difference, but I also think the risks on track are very different than on the street. While the speeds are higher on the track, there aren't any cars, or hard stops (trees, concrete, etc.) so I think it changes the results a bit.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #95
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post
Yeah, but...

I'm ATGATT, and agree that it makes a huge difference, but I also think the risks on track are very different than on the street. While the speeds are higher on the track, there aren't any cars, or hard stops (trees, concrete, etc.) so I think it changes the results a bit.
You would be correct!
I just had a high speed crash on the street that I was unbelievably lucky/blessed/whatever you want to call it, to walk/limp away from. The guy that knew me that says (after he knows I'm pretty much OK) that I really should do track days instead of riding fast on the street because it's so much "safer". I said that's it IS safer in regards to less things to STOP you when you crash, but I'll be riding even harder which heightens the likelihood of a crash, and every crash is a chance to get hurt no matter how much gear you're wearing and you could always get nailed by another bike.

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #96
dmason
goofball

Oddometer: 217
I agree that track riding is probably safer overall, but a blanket statement was made claiming that gear does not prevent broken bones or internal injuries and that is indisputably incorrect. Any notion that even suggests that gear can't prevent this type of injury is misleading, possibly contributing to some really bad decisions.
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #97
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
do track days instead of riding fast on the street because it's so much "safer". I said that's it IS safer in regards to less things to STOP you when you crash, but I'll be riding even harder which heightens the likelihood of a crash,
Yes but...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #98
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Sooo , if I'm on ignore I can REALLY bust your balls and we all have a laugh without the pompous replies. Cool.
Cool, a 50 years old dude acting like a 16 years old kid! Midlife crisis? Feeling young?
Old 07-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #99
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Yes but...

Yup - that's the point exactly. All of those things exist on the street. Pretty cool commercial too.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #100
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Cool, a 50 years old dude acting like a 16 years old kid! Midlife crisis? Feeling young?
NON BMW rider. Just messing with the feeble.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #101
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
So the child brought in a friend as back-up? How does it feel to be just like your buddy?

Jim
So you do ride a BMW. Thanks for verifying that.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #102
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs View Post
well at least I would had known you wern't riding Jap crap.....

but I got to say, I would had just asked, what business is it of yours what I wear? AFTER ALL MY point (had I been him) for wearing the bright shirt on my Harley since about 18 years old, was definitely CAN you see me now asshole!
Face it, if it wern't for the blind assholes driving cars, truck and motorcycles causing these accidents, the chances of us HAVING to wear all this damn hot gear (especially Me growing up in FL) would have been little to none.

just another pov
Thank you for quoting the OP .
Old 07-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #103
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyForNow View Post
Maybe my humor is puerile too, but I get a kick out of all sarcasm, smart ass remarks, and feeble attempts at humor.

Keep em coming joexr. Your humor is a needed addition to threads that are at many times, too boring to read.

You n0obs need to play your kiddy games down in Jo Momma where they belong. Try this childish crap down there.

Read the rules!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #104
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyForNow View Post
Yes. I'm sorry. I just had to try to get the infamous JimVonBaden to actually reply to one of my noob replies.

I DID IT!!!

And yes. I am still a childish ass. But I will quit now. And yes this was all really just in the act of stupid fun.

Take care.

And keep off my damn lawn!!!

There are three ways to get a response from me. Ask a question about BMWs, make a witty funny, or be a total ass.

Unfortunately some think a dog pile is funny, or maybe they just like fondling each other!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #105
RobH
Don't tase me bro

Oddometer: 5,290
Being a mocking jackass just means you are mocking jackass. It doesn't mean you are clever, edgy, or cool. Being impressed with yourself doesn't mean anyone else will necessarily be impressed with you. I learned this myself the hard way, so I hope you learn also before it causes too many problems in your life. Love everyone and be humble dude. You'll be much happier and others will be far more impressed with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy541 View Post
BS yes, made up no.

I would guarantee that most, yes most that have taken me to task would have laughed their ass off if they had seen this dude. In fact the 5 or so people that were there were just like me, in awe and laughing like crazy. My first mistake was opening my mouth And the second was posting.if words could paint a picture you would understand. And if things could be any funnier I will say he looked just like a brother in law I have ( a good one I must say) All true and why I lost control. Seeing that 6.5' 400 pound dude with bright green shirt and then that plastic thing of a helmet swinging on the passenger pegs, shorts and no socks with crocks was a sight to see!!
I was weak and lost control. Again all true.