Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
pugsley OP
Little Man

Oddometer: 636
Magellan 710 Battery usage

Hi fellas,anyone out there using the Magellan 710 explorist? I have one and as a gps it is great,lots of features,easily downlodable from the computer etc....however,I seem to be having a problem with battery usage....not when the unit is turned on,but when it is actually switched off!It will flatten a pair of Lithium batteries in a week while turned off,and a pair of rechargeables in four -five days.When I approached Magellan,I was told to petrform a system reset and download the latest version of the operating system...these things I did,still the same.I then rang there hotline,who were extremely unhelpful,when I explained my problem ,I was told that the owners instructions state not to store batteries in the machine,to which my response was that if I was using the gps on a trip for a few days I did not consider leaving the batteries in the unit overnight,or for a day as storage.After some debate(heated) I finally managed to get a fault number from her,posted the unit off to the local service representative....which came back almost within a day,with a tag saying no fault found.I replaced the batteries,which went flat again(while unit was turned off)I only powered the unit up daily long enough to check battery condition.Has anyone else had this experience?If they are all the same I guess they are just junk,but if no-one else is having this problem,I will take the matter further(although not sure where to at this stage!)Thanks in advance for any input !
pugsley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Hmmm....My 610 sat a month with batteries in. When I went to use it next, no power. Upon opening the cover I found the batteries had leaked and the inside was covered in corrosion. I thought it was a battery failure. Now you have me thinking it is a design issue with the GPS. Batteries will fail this way if there is a continuous draw on them. If Magellin has a warning against leaving the batteries in the compartment (I missed it) they know about the issue and arn't fixing it.
Regards....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
pugsley OP
Little Man

Oddometer: 636
There is certainly a continuous power draw on my unit.....Magellan are saying this is ok,but I have never owned an appliance where I could'nt leave batteries in for a few days without it going flat.I can run the unit on the bike's power supply,but these are supposed to be a hand-held unit for bush walking etc...if you were contemplating a long hike,what a nuisance it would be changing out batteries all the time eh!
pugsley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
headwoundharry
Steady Eddy

Oddometer: 3
No sure if this helps

I have been having my own difficult experience with magellan's telephone support. That not withstanding in my internet search to help myself I came across someone mentioning that random 710's have battery issues and they had to hound magellan to replace their unit. I will try to see if I can find the thread although looking at the dates you might have come up with a solution.
headwoundharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
headwoundharry
Steady Eddy

Oddometer: 3
I found it!

Again looking at the dates of the post you may have already solved your problem, however this thread explores the possibility of a battery drain problem.

http://www.magellaninsiders.com/view...php?t=81&p=409

Good Luck!
headwoundharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Thanks for the link Headwound!
It pretty much confirms my opinion that I am screwed with my Magellin. If I leave the batteries in for a few days they definitely go dead. I have purchased a Garmin Montana and have the Magellin for emergency backup...with no batteries in!
What a waste of money. I sure won't buy a Magellin product again.
Best regards....just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote