Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Lappeman OP
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,074
Lappeman takes on Deadhorse...

Okay, now I've started...now I just have to get going

This all started a few months ago. Where I work, it's large enough that they shut down in the summer for 18 days to accommodate everyone's vacation time...some take longer but regardless, we get 18 days. From Lappe, Ontario, it didn't seem feasible to run to Deadhorse and back in 18 days, it can be done but I didn't really seriously think I would be going. I suffered a huge get-off in May of this year racing Hare Scrambles in Minnesota and was still hurting. I had enough of racing...getting too old and it takes too long to recover from injuries! So, I ended up selling the Ktm 300 and then after thinking about it for awhile...the Ktm 530 went too I was facing a change of riding style and thought I'd try an older KLR and set it up for long distance touring in case I ever got some time off and enough money to carry through with it. I'd owned an '09 KLR before and though it was nice, I thought it was too street orientated and preferred the older style looks. So I went out and found what I thought was a decent deal on a 2003 KLR 650. It had just over 15,000kms on it and was fairly stock except for a couple of add-ons when the previous owner thought maybe he'd take it to Alaska...and never did. I brought it home thinking that I'd take my time and get it ready for the 2014 riding season...then the idea of maybe making a trip this summer started creeping into my head and the urge became stronger. I started stripping the bike and ordering parts left and right. Soon I was down to the frame and engine and had everything else apart. There it sat for a few weeks while parts starting trickling in. Time was running short and I had asked for 3 extra days off work to make the trip...it was a no go...they won't give me the 3 extra days and it was only three weeks until I was to go and the bike wasn't even together yet, so I gave up. Then I caught a break...well some might disagree but...I caught wind of a rumor that a large group was to be laid-off and I was sure that I was going to be one of them, so I started back putting the bike together and before I knew it, I was taking it out for a couple of test runs to sort any problems out...it ran great!! 2 weeks before the vacation time and all I had to do was figure out what I was going to need and how I was going to pack it!

1 week left and we got the news...lay off, 130 workers, the day before the shutdown, that was it, all I needed...I'm heading to Deadhorse Alaska

KLR stripped down

Ready to roll...almost
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death

Lappeman screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 03:33 PM
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Hey Lappeman,

Can't wait to read your reports and photos. Always interesting and highly entertaining. Subscribed!!

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Mark96
Way Out There!

Oddometer: 602
Bike looks great ! Have a great ride
Old 07-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,795
Looks great!

Looks great Rob!
Looking forward to reading (and seeing) more.
Damn your shop looks sweet!
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
calan818
All squint eyed&confused

Oddometer: 1,160
Go Rob!

Subscribed from New Brunswick!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Watching from Peru. Lay off rides are great for a mental reset ! Go man!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
This promise to be a great ride report. Riding beats going to work any day.
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Lappeman OP
He's Down Again!

Thanks Everyone!!

Today was a final get everything together...too much stuff, argh I have gone as light as possible but when you plan on camping...well, the weight piles up quickly!

for those of you wondering about the bike, I've gone thru it and this is a list of stuff done:

New front brake pads and SS line, greased all bearings, changed all fluids on bike, new fork seals/dust seals and progressive springs, rear shock oil change and heavier spring, wheat whacker mod on front fairing and made dash to hold gps/spot/12v plugs and grip switch, heated grips, heated vest whip, charger whip, distribution box, ground box, upgraded main fuse block, doohickey and torsion spring, drilled thru subframe bolt, mud flap for rear shock, happy trails rack/9" boxes and top box, new handle bars, half inch bar risers, '09 front fender, 16 tooth front sprocket (chain and rear sprocket where apparently new when I bought the bike) and I added a Omni-cruise throttle lock. I added some more plastic above the hand guards to block the wind and it seems to help the top of my hands from getting cold wind on them. There's brand new Hiendeau K60's on the bike, so we'll see how they hold up with the weight...got a new rear waiting anyway, just in case!

I would have posted a loaded photo today but it was pouring rain all day today, so it will have to wait...glad I didn't leave today

I may make some weather related adjustments to my trip, so that I can hit the Dalton Highway in dry weather...hopefully we get some

Can't wait to get this ride on the road and start some reports and photos!!
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 07-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Lappeman...

Forgot the micro USB charging port.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
KEL115
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Ride safe and have fun!
KEL115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 634
Awesome!

I think that bike looks great after looking pretty bleak there for awhile! Good job.....stay safe....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Oldone screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 06:25 AM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Lappeman OP
He's Down Again!

Go Day...

I woke up this morning to rain, so I went back to bed...nothing like getting wet the very first day to ruin your mood

About an hour later it stopped and I checked the radar, looked good, time to go! I headed out on my slightly overloaded and very heavy ride but it felt good right of the bat. Soon the road began to dry and the sun was out and it was great The first day was underway and I was starting to settle in and click of the Kms. Just past the 270km mark I noticed that the temp gauge was maxed out and she was running hot...now what! I pulled over and thought things thru, could be the Thermostat packing it in I thought. That would be no problem as I could run to Winnipeg without one and get one there. I tried to phone some people but no service, so I rode the bike further west to find cell service. I was worried about damaging the engine from the heat, so I rode slower and it seemed to help just a wee bit. I was looking for a place to stop that had water, so if I took the thermo out, I could fill the rad again. Finally I found the perfect stop, a rest stop at a nice little lake that had a make shift boat launch. I parked by the launch and proceeded to phone a couple of people, one was Dryden_Rider_54 in Dryden, which was now only 40kms away. I told him what was up and what I was going to do...just in case I ended up stranded.

Ready for Alaska

Time change

I proceeded to pull apart the bike...boxes, seat, covers , tank, crash bars, etc., to get at the rad cap and the thermo. It took about an hour and half in which over 20 cars pulled into the stop beside me and not one even said hello to me...a**holes! I put the mess back together and proceeded to head back out onto the highway and continue my journey...the gauge hit max heat in a matter of seconds, "well that's not the problem" I thought...great. I limped it into Dryden and went to Dryden_Rider's place, since he gratiously offered his garage to work on the bike. Once there we pulled off the water impeller cover and low and behold, the damn nut and the end of the shaft fell out! The shaft looked like it had been broken almost all the way thru for some time...thanks a**hole previous owner! Someone had damaged or messed with it a long time ago and there was no way to know...my ride was over!!

Dryden

Rides Over!!

I guess the only good thing that came out of this, was that I was still only 4 hours from home and my wife was able to bring my truck and come and get me. We arrived back home at 1am this morning...time to go into full depression and drink myself into oblivion!!

Sorry for the short Ride Report, I put a lot of time and money into this and it's all gone to hell!!

Big thanks to Dryden_Rider_54 and my wife for coming to get me and to everyone else that made my day a little better...Thank You!!
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Lappeman

Well Rob, that just plainly sucks.
Considering all the other work you've done on the bike, once you get it sorted, you know you'll have a bulletproof ride.
Cheers!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Ouch! But everything for a reason, right? See the folks at Excal, have it fixed in short order and still plenty of time to have a hell of a great trip!

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger...

This too, shall pass...

Uh, and a bunch of other crap to make you feel better

MFS
MFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 697
When you fall off, you get up and go at it again..

Unless the engine experienced catastrophic failure, I think that's a simple fix.. inexpensive one.. so get it fixed and get back on the road! You can't burned that much money just yet.. and yes you are right.. you put so much work into it to call it a quit!

WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote