Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 04:20 AM   #61
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 806
Awesome pictures and write-up Rob. Sounds like your having a great adventure.
Looking forward to more.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #62
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Looks like a great ride so far.That Paxson sign gave me bad flashbacks.
Do not stay at the Paxson Lodge!!!!!!!!
Ride safe.
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #63
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
great stuff man!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #64
calan818
All squint eyed&confused

Oddometer: 1,183
Epic ride and top notch road reporting! Riding alone gives you the freedom to think: "I can make that" without worrying whether your riding buddies are done for the day.

However it might be the fact you are alone that makes you want to keep riding, no one to stop and talk about the day with or set up camp with. Both have advantages no doubt. If you had to be talking and drinking with buds each night this would be a less exciting road report! So I am glad we are your riding buddies...online!

Keep her going Rob! Oh and if you go "Into the wild" keep reporting!
calan818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #65
KEL115
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Looking good Robbie. Keep up the report and keep us wanting more!
KEL115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #66
Easterner
Just Landed

Oddometer: 304
Enjoying your adventure!
Easterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #67
Lappeman OP
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,097
Day 11...Denali Hwy

Woke up nice and early from a good sleep at the Backwoods Lodge. Really nice place to stay! Headed out under overcast skies that quickly turned ugly. I rode thru many showers as I rode east across the gravel Denali Highway.

Backwoods Lodge

Morning on the Denali

Caribou on the Denali

I must say, I was a little disappointed in the scenery...not so much scenery but more like wide open terrain. Couple of nice spots but aside from that, it was pretty bleak.

Glacier across the Maclaren River

At the summit

I stopped for gas at Tangle Lodge, since I had forgot to get gas in Cantwell and it didn't open until around 9am or so in the morning. It started to rain again as I pumped the gas and by the time I went inside to pay, it was pouring. I thought I'd wait a little since it looked like it would pass over...the lady inside even commented that it would pass shortly. So I sat down and ordered some toast and OJ. By the time I had finished, it had let up a bit but when I went to leave, it started pouring again. It kept pouring and showed no signs of letting up even though the skies looked clearer to the east. So I mounted up and rode thru the pouring rain. The road is paved from Tangle to the Richardson Hwy, about 20 miles. By the time I reached the Richardson Hwy, it had stopped but was still threatening to rain.

I decided to go North at this point since I had seen some Glaciers to the north and thought I'd be able to get near them...wrong! It seemed that every access was gated or fenced and there was no way to get near them Didn't make any sense to me as to why but I continued on and finally was out of the mountains...and the sun came out!

Pipeline on the Richardson Hwy

End of the Alaskan Hwy in Delta Junction, AK

I continued on to Tok where I got a tent site for the night. I met a rider there that had just come over the Top of the World Hwy and dumped his RT in the mud. Lots of messy construction apparently, so I decided I wouldn't even bother with going up there...been there before anyway. Had a $4 ice cream cone and hit the hay to get a rest for the next part of my journey...I was starting to burn out and I knew it!

Forest Fire near Tok, AK

Camping in Tok
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death

Lappeman screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 07:39 PM
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #68
Lappeman OP
He's Down Again!

Day 11...Starting to burn out

I awoke to perfect weather but I was still tired to I hit the snooze on my phone alarm and went back to sleep. I woke again and packed things up...no one else was stirring in the tenting area as I pulled out on the KLR. I made it too the Alaska/Yukon border without much trouble and took my Alaska sign shots that I never got when I arrived there.

Alaska/Yukon border

Right away there was a 20 minute delay waiting for the pilot vehicle at the construction site. I ended up stuck behind a line of huge RV's and eventually got by them. I was starting to feel the long days of riding and had a lot of trouble staying a wake. I had to stop many times on my ride thru the Yukon. I couldn't think straight and didn't take many photos along the way.

Construction delay in Yukon

Kluane Lake Yukon

Camping in Teslin Yukon

I eventually reached Whitehorse and stopped for gas. I was feeling a bit better and thought I could reach Teslin and camp there for the night, that way if I decided to go south to Hyder, AK, I would be under a thousand Kms for the next days ride. I ended up riding thru several small thunderstorms on the last leg of my journey and pulled into Teslin under heavy winds and a very threating sky. I rushed to set up my tent and then had dinner at the café. Afterwards I lay down and fell asleep...I was beat!

Should read day 12 at the top...
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #69
calan818
All squint eyed&confused

Getting Tired?

Don't forget to rest up Rob, riding everyday is tiring! Be safe!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #70
Lappeman OP
He's Down Again!

Day 13...

I woke to rain falling on the tent This was the 12th day of 13 that I had experienced rain and it was wearing thin! I was soooo tired and fell asleep again. I awoke again and the rain had stopped...for now. I packed all my gear wet...again! I hit the road in pea soup fog but it wasn't long before it rained again I was also having a very hard time focussing on the road, so I pulled over. This went on for some time, ride...pull over...ride...pull over... I reached the BC border and stopped for some photos. As I came to the junction to Hwy 37 south, it poured...I glanced south and saw nothing but black clouds...I continued east!

Starting out in fog

Skies turned stormy

Entering BC

The rain had stopped by the time I reached Liard hot springs, so I stopped for lunch at the Lodge. After which I felt well enough to continue on. I passed some Bison near Muncho Lake, one black bear and one Big Horn Sheep. I didn't get a photo of the bear. After 3 more long delays waiting for pilot vehicles for road construction I was finally nearing Fort Nelson where I decided I would stop and get a motel room. Just near Fort Nelson, I came across a wrecked Transport Truck...glad it wasn't me

Bison

Big Horn Sheep

Glad it wasn't me
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #71
Jrmobb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Crazy adventure, just read it all. You are a trooper riding in all that rain and solo rider. My hat is off to you my fellow adv.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #72
calan818
All squint eyed&confused

Coastal rains!

Rob you have endured a lot of rain on the West Coast just as we did in Newfoundland on the East Coast, perhaps the place to be is right smack in the middle in Manitoba!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #73
Lappeman OP
He's Down Again!

Day 14...

Today was much better of a day for me mentally anyway! I got a decent sleep last night and was up and out the door at 6:35am. I ran thru pea soup fog again until around noon and it was very cold...did I miss the rest of summer and go straight to fall! Further up the road, a car pulled out to pass oncoming and then braked and pulled back in at the last minute...I thought, why didn't he see me earlier? A quick stand up and peak over the windscreen, confirmed my suspicion, my headlight was out. I pushed the switch to high beam and looked again, it was on, so it's the low beam that packed it in! I'll run the high beam until it dies...maybe it will get me home and I won't have to bother with it til then...maybe not...

I passed another KLR heading the same way as me and was then passed by a BMW. All three of us played leader all day until I lost track of them near Edmonton. It was overcast when the fog lifted but soon became mostly sunny, although it was still cool. I stopped in Dawson City, BC and took some photos of the start of the Alaska Highway, although I was finished it

At the Alaska highway start in Dawson City, BC

Zero mile marker

I rolled into Edmonton, AB around 8:30pm...forgot about adding another hour for the time zone...I hate going east All in all it was a decent day, I was a bit tired at the start, good in the middle and in a daze by the end of my 1060km day If you can't tell by now, I'm on my way home and there isn't much excitement along the way. My Go Pro Hero 2 Mic packed it in about 4 days ago, so I gave up on video taping stuff. A few photos here and there...not much more to see. I should do another 800km day tomorrow and then roll into Winnipeg after lunch on Saturday. Be visiting relatives and Backroader there and then hopefully home by Sunday dinner...then sleep for a month!!
2007 YZ250F Blue Death

Lappeman screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 09:36 PM
Old 08-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #74
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Good ride Lappeman, I have a bad habit of packin on miles, and not taking breaks for photos. Would like to do this same run in a year (but probably 2...)

Be interested on total kms you put on, the sprockets and chain, they weren't brand new were they? Or did the trip eat the pads, sprockets, and chain up that much

I've been estimating my total cost I'd need for a quick 2 week trip, but hadn't considered those items until now really, thinking that new ones would make the whole run?

Good pics! Hope to see more!

MFS
MFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #75
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,823
All is well then. You'll beat Whyswoman and I home.
Backroader will fete you well.
Hope to hook up with you on my run to the Rock in the fall.
Save the pictures, to hell with the whales!
Cheers!
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote