User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Andyvh1959 OP
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 626
People doing stuff on your bike

I was at a locale bascillica near Milwaukee recently. From high above the public parking area I could see my bike at the back of the lot. It's an older BMW R1100RS, rarely attracts any attention. Good thing that.

A group of various brand cruisers were parked a the front of the lot. A family/group, with little kids (Hispanics, I could just hear their voices, but really has little to do with the story), passed through the bikes. A gal in the group, 20 something, sits on the bright blue Road Star and has her picture taken. Then, the three little kids, seven or so and younger, each climb on or were lifted onto the bike for thier picture. Then they walked over to thier mini-van and left. Nothing malicious, they were careful. But still, bikes are easy to knock over or damage.

I recall once some douche-bag emptied his ashtray butts behind the lower flap for my tabk bag on my RS. Really pissed me off. No damage done of course. But if I had dumped my trash on his car seat.......
Old 07-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,404
It could be worse. When I was posing one of my Ducatis at that spot where you can get the Golden Gate Bridge and the city of San Francisco in the background, a bus full of Japanese tourists pulled up and several of them wanted their photos taken on the bike with the bridge in the background. Then some of them wanted to wear my helmet too. Hard to be polite while refusing something that seems so simple.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,762
It does happen,long ago I had a 71 Triumph Tiger,it sat in an apt parking lot.
Kids couldnt resist climbing on it,at least a few times I went outside and it was laying on it's side.

It was a tough imperfect bike and shrugged it off.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,085
I'm more worried kids will get burned on hot pipes and such. But it would be easy for a couple of kids to knock over my KLR, so I keep a close eye on it if the grandkids are around.

I've never figured out why kids and even many adults will make a beeline for a dank, sweaty helmet and pull it on.

Helmets are very... personal items. I mean, I don't walk into your office and pull on your underwear without asking first.

However, I have learned that if you startle a kid by yelling "NO! NOT A TOY!" they will inevitably drop the helmet onto the nearest hard, abrasive surface. And start crying. And somehow, I'm the asshole...
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 864
Hmmm...when I park my 1150GSA in a public place and put it on the center stand, I never see anyone sitting on it.

Answer: everyone buy bikes too big for the kiddies to climb on!
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
put a cover on it

or

get used to kids climbing on it

burned finger/toe = they learn something
Old 07-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
And somehow, I'm the asshole...
I've never minded being the asshole, any way you look at it my investment is MINE, if others show a little respect they'll receive the same.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,120
Or ask RTWDoug for one of his stickers.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
If someone were to ask to sit on the bike for whatever reason, ok, I'm not usually in that big of a hurry anyway and they're unlikely to be able to abuse it more than I do in a brief sit on.

People who just feel enitled to sit on bikes they haven't asked permission to sit on are fucking rude and should be beaten with a trout (or equivalent) about the head and neck until they're either dead or understand the concept of private property. I would love to fit some sort of taser like shock device into the seat for an "alarm" system. It is unfortunate that would be illegal though, even with warning stickers.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
Long Gone
Objectivist

Oddometer: 242
Bluhduh Obliviots!

I once saw a lady across the street from where I worked who had a little rug rat climbing on a Gold Wing while she chatted obliviously on her cell phone. I yelled at her to get her kid off of the bike. She looked a little startled so I pointed out that the bike would kill her kid if it somehow managed to knock it over on itself. Admittedly that probably wouldn't ever happen with anyone under six but if the bike hadn't been safely put on the side stand it might be possible. Besides that the kid was dragging his shoes across the tank etc as he climbed on it. I went over and left a note for the owner to check his switches as the kid could reach the bars.

“One travels more usefully when alone, because he reflects more” Thomas Jefferson
Long Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 492
I just had a situation where several drunk high school kids were climbing all over my bike. Didn't hear about until the next morning from the neighbor who called the police. Of course, that was the night I forgot to put the cover on.

The Vstrom is easier to knock over than you think, and then what happens when one of the girls that was climbing on it drops it on her and has a severe leg fracture?

This being California, I wonder if I would be named in a lawsuit? Even though the bike is parked in it's own spot on private property.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #12
Offcenter
On The Road Again!

Oddometer: 207
This crap happens with cars too. Went on a trip with a friend in his new 'Vette last year. At a motel near Knoxville Tennessee we put the car cover on. Came out in the morning to find the cover laying on the ground near the car. It took two the of us a bit of stretching to get that thing on or off so we know it didn't blow off.

77 Honda CT-90
76 Honda GL-1000
Offcenter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Andyvh1959 OP
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 626
In a recent MSF BRC I taught, we had a newbie girl knock over a parked bike (Suzuki GZ250 on the sidestand), while climbing off it in the garage. So it is possible to knock over a parked bike easily.

I recall years ago, some cycle owner complained to Ann Landers about strangers, mostly kids, just climbing on his parked bike. The letter author I suppose expected Ann to agree with him it was rude to handle other people's property. But, Ann said somehting to the effect that your parked bike was considered an "attractive nuisance", get over it and get on with life. Basically, your fault, you own an attractive object, put up with people climbing on it. In fact she lumped a cycle in the same category as a backyard trampline.

My parents taught me to keep my hands off other people's stuff. Ann was full of BS in my opinion, plus she never owned a bike for certain.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Would I be pissed if someone knocked over my (imaginary) prized Ducati because they were climbing all over it? Or destroyed the fairings on my (still imaginary) immaculate R1?

Fucking oath I would be.

If someone opened their door onto the bike or something, well that would suck, but it would be an accident. If they were clambering all over my property without permission then I'd be annoyed, especially if they knocked it over.

However, as has been mentioned previously, it's pretty frigging hard to pose on a dirt bike since most are super tall plus the general public prefers the same aura of a customised, specially painted cruiser (which is also easy for teenagers, children and general knobs to go up and sit on).

How about an experiment. Park a trail bike next to some other bikes in a populated area and I'll bet that no-one will try and get on it...

...well except for the sketchy prick who tries to steal it.
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #15
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
I just had a situation where several drunk high school kids were climbing all over my bike. Didn't hear about until the next morning from the neighbor who called the police. Of course, that was the night I forgot to put the cover on.

The Vstrom is easier to knock over than you think, and then what happens when one of the girls that was climbing on it drops it on her and has a severe leg fracture?

This being California, I wonder if I would be named in a lawsuit? Even though the bike is parked in it's own spot on private property.

You would have to be drunk to think a Strom is attractive enough to get on it. Sober people don't even look twice , or say "Gross" when they see one
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote