Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 04:34 AM   #16
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Wouldnt you be worried about people throwing up on it?
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #17
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
it's pretty frigging hard to pose on a dirt bike since most are super tall
That's right!
That's why the drunk bitch that climbed on my XR, and proceeded to fall right over the other way, couldn't stay upright. I didn't see it happen but a couple friends watched the whole thing go down(literally).
Then her and her husband just stood there and looked at it on its side, with the helmet some twenty feet away. Didn't even try to pick it back up. Then, as I was approaching they walked back over to their vehicle!
Things got ugly when I told her and her asshole husband that they just slammed a $400 Shoei helmet on the ground. That's when he said , "call the cops, you're trying to rip us off!" Best advise ever from a drunk! He also said he could get me a "just as good" helmet for $50. Ah, a pirate wannabe with their toy, non DOT skid lids...

Long story short, the report the LEO made, mentioning he smelled alcohol on her breath, and the fact that they wouldn't agree to pay the "low" estimate I'd come up with(after they said they would in front of the LEO), came in real handy in court. The judge awarded me half again what I'd been asking for...then their insurance company sent me a check for almost double!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #18
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
When I leave my Jeep somewhere with the top off often there is crap other people leave. I guess think its funny to dump their trash in it. I have found empty cigarett cartons...a beer bottle wedged in the steering wheel....cans....nothing that damages anything....but its just rude...Same with my pickup....often people throw trash in the bed....People are generally Ass holes...

I don't if anyone has messed with my bike but I would be pissed if I saw someone let their kids sit on it with out asking....Again its rude behavior....Would they like someone sitting in their car??
Old 07-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #19
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
It could be worse. When I was posing one of my Ducatis at that spot where you can get the Golden Gate Bridge and the city of San Francisco in the background, a bus full of Japanese tourists pulled up and several of them wanted their photos taken on the bike with the bridge in the background. Then some of them wanted to wear my helmet too. Hard to be polite while refusing something that seems so simple.
Once whilst at Yosemite, a couple a smoke'n hawt Japanese girls dun wanted their picturez taken on our bikes. We said; "hell yeah little filly, climb aboard!"
Put 'em on the center stands, helped 'em on, and took their pics.

Of course there wuz that time when sum girl jumped on mah bike, and I asked her kindly ta git off. She just said; "fuck you banjoboy!" And laughed at mah shit.
No respect!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #20
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
You would have to be drunk to think a Strom is attractive enough to get on it. Sober people don't even look twice , or say "Gross" when they see one
Ha, you are right about that! It's generally not considered an attractive bike. Mine was all dirty from the dirt as well, and I don't think the top box and two side cases made it any easier to climb on.

It is personal property too. Weird that the general public thinks it's ok to mess around with. I wonder if people with convertible cars run into the same problem? And who the hell removes a cover from a car!? I've had that happen too, except the cover was stolen!
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #21
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post

I recall years ago, some cycle owner complained to Ann Landers about strangers, mostly kids, just climbing on his parked bike. The letter author I suppose expected Ann to agree with him it was rude to handle other people's property. But, Ann said somehting to the effect that your parked bike was considered an "attractive nuisance", get over it and get on with life. Basically, your fault, you own an attractive object, put up with people climbing on it. In fact she lumped a cycle in the same category as a backyard trampline.
I remember that letter too! Still kind of pisses me off. :-)
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 246
I officiated at an offsite wedding last month and rode my bike there. Of course the wedding party saw the bike sitting out front. After the service the wedding party asked if they could take pictures of themselves on/around the bike. I agreed.

So part of the wedding photos are ones with the bride on the bike, ring bearer on the bike etc. They even sent me pic's.
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #23
Antiquar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I don't understand the desire to be photographed on a bike that I'm not actually riding. It comes off, to me, with the opposite effect than desired. "Hey, check out me not actually engaging in this fun and risky activity!"

People are weird.
Antiquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #24
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,443
Quote:
I was at a locale bascillica near Milwaukee recently. From high above the public parking area I could see my bike at the back of the lot. It's an older BMW R1100RS, rarely attracts any attention. Good thing that.

A group of various brand cruisers were parked a the front of the lot. A family/group, with little kids (Hispanics, I could just hear their voices, but really has little to do with the story), passed through the bikes. A gal in the group, 20 something, sits on the bright blue Road Star and has her picture taken. Then, the three little kids, seven or so and younger, each climb on or were lifted onto the bike for thier picture. Then they walked over to thier mini-van and left. Nothing malicious, they were careful. But still, bikes are easy to knock over or damage.

I recall once some douche-bag emptied his ashtray butts behind the lower flap for my tabk bag on my RS. Really pissed me off. No damage done of course. But if I had dumped my trash on his car seat.......
Nobody seems to mess with my DR for long. The previous owner was a cop that was paranoid enough to install a LOUD mfn alarm. It can split eardrums and make an old nun cry at 20 paces.

I'm enough of an idiot that I occasionally set it off in the garage. Ho Lee Shitzu.

I use a Xena lock when in the city too.

Lock your helmet in a PacSafe bag or a hard case.

Kommando screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 09:01 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #25
i_isntreal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Helmets are very... personal items. I mean, I don't walk into your office and pull on your underwear without asking first.
Totally agree. That is exactly how I explain it to people that have first opened and closed the visor three times with their whole greasy palm before beginning to put it on. Drives me nuts, so I keep it in it's bag whenever possible.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #26
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
I wonder if people with convertible cars run into the same problem?
They usually get their tops slashed with a knife...Happened to two people I know of with convertibles. One was a brand new top.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #27
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
I was at a locale bascillica near Milwaukee recently. A family/group, with little kids passed through the bikes. Then, the three little kids, seven or so and younger, each climb on or were lifted onto the bike for thier picture. Then they walked over to thier mini-van and left. Nothing malicious, they were careful. But still, bikes are easy to knock over or damage.
As a native of Milwaukee, I remember Holy Hill very well. That's a hell of a climb. Next time yell out the window down to the parking lot "Esto es Jesucristo. Bájate de la moto de ese ahora o te vas al infierno." Works every time.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #28
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
They usually get their tops slashed with a knife...Happened to two people I know of with convertibles. One was a brand new top.
Yup. People used to do crap like that to my Jeep, or they'd always be trying to steal stuff. One guy left a nice pair of bolt-cutters and a bit of blood when he tried to break into my steel center console. One bitch took the factory cig lighter while smoking in it and flicking her ashes all over. People have spit in the seats and dumped trash all over the interior too.

Some people just need a good ass-whuppin'.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:45 AM   #29
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
You would have to be drunk to think a Strom is attractive enough to get on it. Sober people don't even look twice , or say "Gross" when they see one
LOL
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #30
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
Ha, you are right about that! It's generally not considered an attractive bike. Mine was all dirty from the dirt as well, and I don't think the top box and two side cases made it any easier to climb on.

It is personal property too. Weird that the general public thinks it's ok to mess around with. I wonder if people with convertible cars run into the same problem? And who the hell removes a cover from a car!? I've had that happen too, except the cover was stolen!
I hear you.... I have learned not to let my VSTROM out of sight at any time or lock it in my garage. People today feel so entitled to do whatever they want. Of course NO ONE wants their picture taken with it. That suits me just fine. It is just like that ugly but wonderful girl you knew in high school who had everything going for her but looks."What is THAT thing" one guy said at Springfield last year!
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote