Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #31
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I wonder if people with convertible cars run into the same problem?

They usually get their tops slashed with a knife...Happened to two people I know of with convertibles. One was a brand new top.
I go ahead and park my convertible with the top down, and there is never anything worth stealing inside it.

I haven't had problems with anything being tossed inside it, nor have I had issues with people fooling around with my motorcyces when I leave them parked. I'm guessing it's because I live in a more civilized part of the country.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #32
GDI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
this is the cleanest and nicest police car i've ever been in in my life. This thing's nicer than my apartment.
GDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #33
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Get off my bike!

CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #34
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,430
Dear Anne, having seen the error of my ways and now in full agreement with you regarding having an "attractive nuisance" I have now fully gotten over having people climbing on and all over my motorcycle aka the "attractive nuisance" in this case. BTW, met your niece she was attractive but a bit of a nuisance, what with dispensing shitty advice and all, but I wanted to really feel you on your advice so I showed her the letter and your response and because she also shared your opinion ...well I just jumped on and pretended to ride the shit out of her. Don't worry she never fell off he kick stand but may have a few stains on the dash but they'll buff right out. Gotta say best advice I've ever gotten. Lookng forward to meeting you!

My bikes are not other people toys, they're my toys.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #35
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,755
Permission vs no permission would get opposite responses from me. I always love the pictures of little kids from third world villages on adv bikes. Little moments like that probably do wonders for future riders coming through town.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #36
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 355
Friend of mine had his bike knocked over by a person wanting a picture. When the police got there they told him his bike was a natural attraction and they did not do a police report. Something like sparkly things attract attention so no crime was commited. Not sure what they would have said if it were stolen.
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #37
go4mini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcenter View Post
This crap happens with cars too. Went on a trip with a friend in his new 'Vette last year. At a motel near Knoxville Tennessee we put the car cover on. Came out in the morning to find the cover laying on the ground near the car. It took two the of us a bit of stretching to get that thing on or off so we know it didn't blow off.
I have a '66 Vette convertible. I came out of a bar/restaraunt one evening to find a drunk girl sitting in it, pretending to drive, and making motor noises. I hollared, and she started crying and said I was mean! Too bad my wife was with me.
go4mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #38
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
Friend of mine had his bike knocked over by a person wanting a picture. When the police got there they told him his bike was a natural attraction and they did not do a police report. Something like sparkly things attract attention so no crime was commited. Not sure what they would have said if it were stolen.
Police cars are a natural attraction. I wonder if the cops would take the same view of someone damaging their car while playing with it.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #39
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
Well, just 'cause you're a cop doesn't mean you have to have any sense, I guess. I'd have been pretty irate with those officers.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #40
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,156
I used to play bass in a busy bar band. There were many times I'd emerge from some dank small-town dive only to find people leaning and sitting all over other people's cars, including mine.

Some people just ain't got no manners at all.

I didn't get the chance to ride to a gig all that often, but I did find that "fear of hairy devil bikers" generally helped keep people off my Suzuki. Our pirate brethren do serve a purpose.

Also, you could usually park a bike near the door where the bouncer would keep an eye on things.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #41
jordan325ic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I don't ride bikes shiny enough to care about. I've never known it to happen but I wouldn't care if it did.
jordan325ic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #42
justafurnaceman
Imaginary

Oddometer: 959
Going off on a tangent since it didn't happen to my bike, while at FT Irwin as a training observer for NTC I came out of the barracks one morning to find a drunk Soldier sleeping in the front seat of my rental car. I hadn't bothered to lock it since I didn't have anything in it and it was directly in front of our open bay barracks. I did a double take and made sure it was mine and then asked him if he wouldn't mind sleeping somewhere else. He stumbled off and apparently went through a couple of the other open bay barracks room until he finally found his bunk. He must have had one heck of a night. Luckily he didn't puke in the car.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #43
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Also, you could usually park a bike near the door where the bouncer would keep an eye on things.
I used to park my 950Adventure about ten feet from where I stood at the entrance to the bar Where I was a bouncer. I'm standing there one night and have two couples walk by me and one of the guys points at My bike and says "its mine" the girl (very drunk and o shit very ugly) starts to climb on it. I yelled at her to "Get off it" and she started yelling at me "it's his so fuck you" I walked over and told her to please get off. Then The dumbass guy grabbed my shoulder. It ended with him cuffed and her crying to the PD. she was so drunk she couldn't get it through her head that it wasn't his bike.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #44
NorCalslowpoke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
I'd be way more worried about a kid getting hurt or killed if a 500+lb bike fell on him/her than any cosmetic damage.

It could be a real, real bad deal if a big bike pinned a 40-70lb kid.

I've had neighbor/family kids want to sit on the Guzzi. No problem, but only if I'm nearby. Hell, I'll fire it up and let them turn the throttle.

Not really cool or mature for an adult to touch a strangers bike without asking...but not a huge deal worthy of flipping out over.

I did find a homeless guy sleeping in my POS 67 caddy 'vert one time...just had to tell him to move on, no big deal.

Cheers
http://www.burtonco.com Sacramento Appraiser
NorCalslowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #45
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I've worked as a sports coach for a youth basketball team and it wouldn't be uncommon for kids to run over and touch my bike. Never bothered me or anything, I was one of those kids who gawked at bikes once, but I never ran over and got my greasy hands all over them. It was the parents who had no respect for personal property though.

One time I was walking to my bike after work to see one of the parents from another team (big fat Mexican guy with his fat wife standing there) sitting on my bike twisting the throttle and showing off. He got off by the time I reached my bike and was trying to act all cool about it saying, "Cool bike, ehhh. I bet it's real fast, ya know?" I didn't really have a response for that, just a polite, "Yup." and left. God, I'm glad I left that job (but that's another story entirely)

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote