User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Tatanka OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Inattentive Drivers Two Days in a Row

Yesterday morning as I'm riding out to work, I take the roundabout about 50 yards from my driveway as I normally do. A gray Toyota minivan is speeding and fails to yield as it enters the roundabout. I'm close enough to kick the driver's side headlight before it clicked in my mind that I was about to get hit. Additional leaning and generous amount of throttle got me out of that one. After that, the driver sees me and slows 20 mph (in a 30) and was at least a block behind me the rest of the way out of the neighborhood.

Today I come home for lunch and cut through the neighborhood to avoid construction on the main road. I'm one block from my house and see a white Mercedes C class on my left that was stopped in at the T intersection. I have right of way. As I ride into the intersection, the lady guns it as if she was holding up traffic. There was no one behind her, and this is a residential street. Her Mercedes was inches from having a foot peg scrape down the passenger side rear door. Swerving into the gutter and emergency braking save me there. She didn't even see me.

Lessons learned:
* Olympia high-viz yellow isn't a guarantee you'll be seen.
* A motorcycle's acceleration can get you out of trouble.
* A motorcycle's braking ability can get you out of trouble.
* Motorcycle tires are stickier than I thought.
* Perhaps why most accidents occurs with five miles of home is because your used to your surroundings, and you let guard down.
* Always give yourself an out.
Tatanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Gimpinator
Slightly Annoyed

Oddometer: 1,080
Sometimes they do it on purpose...

Yesterday I was riding the 12GS up Pico Blvd. in Santa Monica. It's a fairly busy divided road with two lanes on a side. A Big Blue Bus (public transport) was in front of me and we eased up to a red light. The intersection is a "T", like the OP's situation, (cross street on the opposite side only) so the Blue Bus decided to slide through the red light up to the bus stop right after the intersection. Curious, yeah, but no problem yet. I now had clear and empty road on my side, with the bus not far ahead on the shoulder, and a white Mercedes next to me.

Turns out Mr. Blue Bus was going to get a jump on everybody. The light turned green and as the Mercedes beside me and I launched, the bus swung out very quickly to cut us off. Not wanting to be a sandwich between those two, I twisted the throttle and squirted through. The Mercedes barely avoided the bus, and I could see a lot of road rage going on back there as I cruised away.

I had heard stories of Big Blue Bus asshattery. now I can tell one!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #3
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
I almost got taken out by a bus yesterday too...

I was in DC coming off of 295 on the 11th street bridge to 395, a bus came from one of the ramps and proceeded across three lanes of traffic to get into the left lane... Not a single glance to see if anybody was in the way. He almost took me out on my KLR along with a couple of cages that managed to get out of the way. Even with brakes squealing and horns honking the driver never once looked in the mirror to see what was going on, or even turned his head...
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Here they have a law that you have to let a pulled over bus back into traffic. Fine , but the damn bus drivers think they drive emergency vehicles or something and will just pull right out and cut you off.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,971
Seems to happen in waves.

A month or so ago, I had three drivers try to change lanes into me in less than 24 hours over two commutes.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
WRrioR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Loud pipes would have kept you out of these situations.
WRrioR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
...most accidents occurs with five miles of home is because...
...most people's primary existence is within a five mile radius of their home.

Ha, every time I was road tripping home from college my mom used to recite that statistic and tell me to be careful as I got close to home.

I think its a pretty old reference. I'd be interested in hearing an updated statistic as our society in the states has become increasing more mobile and willing to commute further distances. Even with longer commutes to work, I'd guess most people still stay close to the 5 mile radius for everyday chores and entertainment.

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,608
I had a woman in a minivan nearly run me over yesterday when I went down to Detroit to meet up with some friends. I was in the center lane, she was in the left lane and apparently wanted to be in the right lane. So, she just starts swerving over, so abruptly that she came within a foot or so of me before I was able to react. Fortunately, she was slightly ahead of me and I was able to brake hard enough to avoid the collision. I laid on my horn and gave her the upraised WTF? palm, and her response was to stick her arm out of her window to flip me off.

Lessons learned there:

- I could use a bit more practice with emergency braking, I locked the front.
- Minivans are dangerous.
- Everyone driving in Detroit will kill you and not feel bad about it.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post

Lessons learned:
* Olympia high-viz yellow isn't a guarantee you'll be seen.
* A motorcycle's acceleration can get you out of trouble.
* A motorcycle's braking ability can get you out of trouble.
* Motorcycle tires are stickier than I thought.
* Perhaps why most accidents occurs with five miles of home is because your used to your surroundings, and you let guard down.
* Always give yourself an out.
Learn this lesson: Stop riding straight down the road expecting other road users brains to take note of your presence. Human vision simply does not work that way and your Alien Vomit Green riding gear is NOT the answer.

Lateral motion is!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpinator View Post

I had heard stories of Big Blue Bus asshattery. now I can tell one!
You are supposed to yield to the Bus. It's the law. Don't believe me? Go ahead and let one hit you and see if they are held to blame.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
More and more old peoples on the roads. Two close calls yesterday with some of them acting erratically in their own world : one hard braked for no apparent reason in a middle of a staight without signal or nothing, and the other one rushing on a main road from a parking lot without even a glance on the incoming traffic.

The good part is I did two magnificent (but not intended) high speed front wheel stoppies, which I'd never dared otherwise

L
Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
You are supposed to yield to the Bus. It's the law. Don't believe me? Go ahead and let one hit you and see if they are held to blame.
we call this "getting busfucked"
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
I dont understand all the bitchin. Motorbikes have been getting munched by cars, trucks and buses for a very long time.

If you are going to swim in the big pond, get used to it - ride very defensively.

Dont put your life into other people's hands. Dont expect *anyone* to drive according "to the law" or "drive aware". Thats just silly.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Learn this lesson: Stop riding straight down the road expecting other road users brains to take note of your presence. Human vision simply does not work that way and your Alien Vomit Green riding gear is NOT the answer.

Riding as though you are a target is!
Fixed. The issue is not as simple as being seen. Too many drivers see but simply could not care less. You can see it in their facial expressions: recognition in tandem with contempt.

* Edit * But I have washed off the alien vomit and don't feel any less safe because of it.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800

PalePhase screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 11:35 AM
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Gimpinator
Slightly Annoyed

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
There's nothing in the California Vehicle Code that states you must yield to a transit bus. The closest thing is here, talking about installing a flashing Yield sign on the back of buses, in Santa Cruz and Santa Clara only:

V C Section 24617 Yield Right of Way Sign Transit Bus
Yield Right of Way Sign: Transit Bus
24617. (a) A transit bus may be authorized to be equipped with a yield right-of-way sign on the left rear of the bus. The yield right-of-way sign may flash simultaneously with the rear turn signal lamps, but is not required to do so. The sign shall be both of the following:

(1) Designed to warn a person operating a motor vehicle approaching the rear of the bus that the bus is entering traffic.

(2) Illuminated by a red flashing light when the bus is signaling in preparation for entering a traffic lane after having stopped to receive or discharge passengers.

(b) This section does not require a transit agency to install the yield right-of-way sign described in subdivision (a).

(c) This section does not relieve the driver of a transit bus from the duty to drive the bus with due regard for the safety of all persons and property. This section does not exempt the driver of a transit bus from Section 21804.

(d) This section applies only to the Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District and the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority, if the governing board of the applicable entity approves a resolution, after a public hearing on the issue, requesting that this section be made applicable to it.

(e) A participating transit agency shall undertake a public education program to encourage motorists to yield to a transit bus when the sign specified in subdivision (a) is activated.

Added Sec. 1, Ch. 451, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008. Amended Sec. 222, Ch. 179, Stats. 2008. Effective January 1, 2009.

I also don't let them hit me. That's generally good form