Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #61
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
by webventure:

Superstitious Pole asks for a kick in the butt before each stage

Por Pedro Sibahi | 30/07/2013

Polish Racer asks for a kick before the races and does not shave. Photo: Pedro Sibahi / Webventure
One of the best known figures in the Sertões International Rally is the Pole, Rafal Sonik, quad rider who is a highlight in the category. Besides his skill in the command of his 700 cc Honda TRX, he is also known for being very talkative and a bit eccentric.
Always walking around with two models at his side and a photographer to register every step, Rafal speaks quickly and effusively when questioned about his impressions of the race. Measuring approximately 1,90 meters height, he has the physique of a bon vivant and a lot of charisma, always speaking confidently.
Among his peculiarities, the habit of asking for a kick in the butt before starting each stag, stands out, a habit that he has kept every day of the competition
“Every day someone kicks me to give me good luck. I am totally superstitious, and therefore I also do not shave during the rally, not even on the eve of the race”, Rafal told us.
Even in the Dakar, race in which he participated four times, coming in third place twice, the only time he shaves is on the rest after the sixth stage, because he doesn’t drive. Questioned if he had any other superstitions, he said yes, but would not tell them.

Rafal Sonik walks around the rally accompanied by models and says he is superstitious. Photo: Divulgação
Despite these peculiar characteristics, Rafal Sonik is a powerful man in Poland, owner of a group of companies called Gemini that carries out big real estate enterprises for multinational corporations like Carrefour and British Petroleum. Furthermore, he is also the owner of two shopping malls in his country.
Up until the end of the sixth stage, the rider leads in his category with total time of 16h32min43. Apparently, the kicks have worked.
VDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #62
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Video Stage 6 - July 30th - Honda Team Pilots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LWEqX1sqMHw
Old 07-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #63
Linhares
OSM addicted

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDG View Post
Jean Azevedo #25 from Honda Team ---- 2nd on today stage.
Linhares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:22 AM   #64
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
As the last 2 stages were Marathon, Cyril made a smart move in conserving his tyres. Resulting in the overall lead today!!

Cyril remains the man to beat, even on a Yammie. Feeling sorry for all the CD haters out there

Quote:

Rally Dos Sertoes - stage 6

The second part of the marathon stage was held as planned, which caused major changes in the overall standings. By arranging his rear tire and its foam, Cyril Despres (Yamaha Racing / Yamalube) won the special with 59 seconds ahead of Brazilian Jean Azevedo, Jakub Przygonski finished third. The eve leader Marc Coma had tire problems and Cyril now leads overall with 15' 05 in advance on Paulo Gonçalves, Przygonski is now third and Mickaël Metge (Yamaha Racing / Yamalube) dates back to the fourth place (at 27'45).

Cyril Despres

"Assuming third this morning I pretty quickly caught Marc (Coma) and it was obvious that he had problems with his rear foam." Shortly after, I caught Paulo Goncalves, who was reluctant to open the track and I led him to refuelling. More I got closer to the end of the special, plus I accélérais and during the last few kilometres I rode at bottom. Finally, I ended up almost 6 minutes before Paulo.

"During tire testing that we have done with the Yamaha and Michelin, about a month before the start of the race, I have a pretty good idea of how to approach this marathon stage and the result was that I was expecting - however these two days have not been easy. '' I was always aware that I had to take care of the tire back and foam, while trying not to lose too much time and calculate continuously the distance and position of my opponents. It is mental effort was almost bigger than that to drive the motorcycle! It is obvious that today ' today we are in a good position, but we still have a long way to go and the whole team and myself are going to stay focused on the work that remains to be done. »

Mickaël Metge

"When yesterday afternoon we arrived at the end of the first part of the marathon stage, it was obvious that my rear tyre was much more worn that Cyril and this morning before the start, I was really worried about the opportunities that I would have to get to the end without incident. I followed the advice of Cyril and I took care of my bike until the refuelling and after I picked up my pace until the end. This means that I lost a bit of time on the special, but my place is not bad at all." (Translated by Bing)
Old 07-31-2013, 04:55 AM   #65
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Stage 7 - July 31
PALMAS (TO) - PALMAS (TO)
Special: 514 km
TOTAL: 746 km
Old 07-31-2013, 05:24 AM   #66
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,548
16 Moara Sacilotti KLX450R
47 Marieta R. L. Moraes

Are they in for the DAKAR?

Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #67
Linhares
OSM addicted

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Are they in for the DAKAR?
I don't think so. This year Jean Azevedo was the only brazilian rider in the Dakar.
Linhares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #68
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDG View Post
Stage 7 - July 31
PALMAS (TO) - PALMAS (TO)
Special: 514 km
TOTAL: 746 km

The Technical Director of the Sertões International Rally, Eduardo Sachs, comments today’s route (7th stage )

It will be the longest Special of the rally, in the mythological Jalapão region, known for its sands and scalding heat. There will be a stretch of 100 kilometers of very high speeds, where it will be possible to keep up an average of 200km/h. The route will also have river crossings and some stone slabs, besides ruts that require caution so as not to break the vehicles.
“It is one of the longest specials in all the Sertões International Rally’s history. Besides being the hardest timed stretch, we begin on farm roads, on gravel of medium and high speed, and, then, we go through locked stretches with heavy trials and a lot of navigation. The racers will cross the Prata River and will reach a road where once again they can get to high speeds. In the end, they will enter a GPS stretch in the Jalapão. The feared sands will be predominant in this stage.”
Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #69
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Video Stage 6 - 30 July

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0RQPgBxk6g
Old 07-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #70
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 23,004
A win for Coma on Stage 7 and a resumption of the overall leadership for Goncalves. Must've been as tough as they said it would be as the time gaps are huge relatively speaking. Not often you see Cyril finishing over 23 minutes back from the lead.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #71
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Not often you see Cyril finishing over 23 minutes back from the lead.
Mechanical?

Hoourray for Paulo Speedy Gonçalvesh

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #72
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
A win for Coma on Stage 7 and a resumption of the overall leadership for Goncalves. Must've been as tough as they said it would be as the time gaps are huge relatively speaking. Not often you see Cyril finishing over 23 minutes back from the lead.
Some gap indeed for those fast stages. Proves me wrong, again
Old 07-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #73
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
Just goes to show, it's all about the end goal in rallying. You don't win the rally with one stage but you sure can lose it!
My Dakar Rally Experience
and blog www.LyndonPoskittRacing.com
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #74
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Have to wonder if the Yamaha just doesn't have the top end speed of the KTM. It would seem that with 100km of top speed piste that the top end speed would be a big factor.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #75
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Stage 7 Results - July 31
1º #1 Marc Coma 5h56min11s
2º #4 Paulo Gonçalves 5h57min19s
3º #10 Dário Júlio 6h10min07s
4º #25 Jean Azevedo 6h11min30s
5º #13 Ike Klaumann 6h16min19s