Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #226
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post
You expect Rossi to abdicate?

Cal better get as many years on his Ducati contract as possible, because once he starts telling everyone how he really feels ... To the plus; not many interviews for 8th place.

He might make a mark or two on a Gresini Honda, but really he is the right guy at the wrong time. Too old, wrong passport and too honest. He could perhaps achieve notoriety on a Forward M1 by beating some Ducatis, but not the paycheck.
I'm not so sure Cal wouldn't be well served to try Ducati. They haven't found the solution yet but I am confident they will. Look at the progress Aprilia made. True, it is a much bigger leap to the top but who would have guessed a Claimer bike would catch the tail end of the prototypes.

But you are right that it should be a rich and long contract.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:12 AM   #227
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I'm not so sure Cal wouldn't be well served to try Ducati. They haven't found the solution yet but I am confident they will. Look at the progress Aprilia made. True, it is a much bigger leap to the top but who would have guessed a Claimer bike would catch the tail end of the prototypes.

they have different tyres and more fuel....And i bet if one of the aliens was on one it would be even higher up
Old 07-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #228
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
Quote:
They haven't found the solution yet but I am confident they will.
Iīm not so confident. In the last, say, 4 years, they have gone basically nowhere, or even backwards, at least when you weight them up against their opponents. Now they are almost as slow as fastest CRT bikes. Wooohooo.

And if Marlboro walks, like they now threaten to do, it is beyond me, how they are going to keep this going. Sure Audi has money, but are they willing to invest in such a (currently) unsuccesful project, is a whole other question. I would definitely like to see more competitive machinery on the grid, itīs just that Ducati seems to seriously lack something important, that is needed to have any hope of climbing back there.

I wonder, if they should try to listen to their riders, even just one time? But maybe thatīs not in their culture, the engineers know this shit better, so theyīll do it their own way.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #229
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
I would definitely like to see more competitive machinery on the grid, itīs just that Ducati seems to seriously lack something important, that is needed to have any hope of climbing back there.

I wonder, if they should try to listen to their riders, even just one time? But maybe thatīs not in their culture, the engineers know this shit better, so theyīll do it their own way.
The controlled tyre is a major player in this issue.

Haha get rid of controlled tyres and it might be fixed in 80 seconds :)

Problem is this brings about a new set of problems related to funding.

Cheers
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #230
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
The tail they are catching is the Ducati turnip truck. And they get tires that heat quicker so Aspargaro can Qualify quick and closer to the front, as long as Lorenzo and Pedrosa are ailing.
Once we get to Indy, I suspect we'll see The Ape back down the order displacing the turnip trucks.
If Cal wants a Championship he needs a Factory Honda or Yamaha.
Not a Ducati to develop while Marc gets quicker and quicker.
If on the other hand he wants access to factory money and glamour, take the pretty red bike on a ride for all it's worth. Try not to get too beat up over it.
Retire to the country house and ride the wave.
I'm not sure he's wired like that. Not too many racers are.
I do think Stoner made the leap to Honda for that very reason, but he also knew he could win on it.
Had Marquez been in the mix, I wonder if Honda would have gone for Stoner over Marc?
Future versus now?
I'm not so sure either Stoner or Marq or Lorenzo or Pedorsa could ride the turnip truck out of the corner it has been designed and adjusted into.

For the Ducati, on the one hand a rider may be getting paid to risk his life on the thing, but nothing is going to get that thing on the top step other than torrential rain and those front seven riders gravel surfing and maybe a CRT or three.
On the other hand the rider on the factory Ducati is getting paid to ride a factory bike so the guess is the check is pretty big and the bank will cash it.
Satellite Duc? Who knows? They haven't been setting the grid on fire with anything from any of the rental seats.

For that matter what does the tobacco company get out of all this? How many countries allow them to run the full logo on the bikes and riders?
So far we have not seen anything from Audi/VW/Ducati to indicate they even have a plan let alone a direction or next move. But, if we had an indication, then we'd be screwed with three empty weeks to fill with endless speculation. And where's the fun in that?

Quote:

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #231
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara View Post
The controlled tyre is a major player in this issue.
In perspective, the Ducati is only a few tenths of a second per lap from the front end of the field. Chattering heads magnify this to make it sound like Hayden would get to the finish line faster by first-class mail.

We acknowledge that the top 4 riders are already a few tenths ahead on any Sunday and currently there are no riders of alien status competing via a Ducati, so that narrows the subjective gap a bit more. The tire and fuel advantages of the CRTs is obviously good for a few tenths too. Viewed through that lens Ducati is not so far behind.

Throw in the extremely limited amount of testing now possible, and that Honda / Yamaha are essentially just perfecting highly developed platforms based on many years of accumulated perimeter frame R&D and Ducati's position is a bit more understandable. Should Ducati have abandoned the CF project a bit sooner? It seems self evident now but was widely hailed as an ace just a couple of years ago.

Rules change a'coming. Then we'll see.

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #232
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,763
Quote:

Rules change a'coming. Then we'll see.
If Honda and Yamamha didn't drive the rule changes......remember forumula Honda? Yeah.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #233
sailor22
Jay Pegg pusher

Oddometer: 377
I have never been good at math but finishing 33 seconds back in a 23 lap race seems like it should be more than a couple of tenths per lap slower. Hasn't the gap to the Turnip Trucks to the front been in the 30 to 40 second range for a few years now?
sailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #234
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
I have never been good at math but finishing 33 seconds back in a 23 lap race seems like it should be more than a couple of tenths per lap slower.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #235
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
Quote:
Throw in the extremely limited amount of testing now possible, and that Honda / Yamaha are essentially just perfecting highly developed platforms based on many years of accumulated perimeter frame R&D and Ducati's position is a bit more understandable.
Ducati had a winner bike in 2007, first year of the 800īs. Iīm not taking anything away from Stoner, but the bike definitely wasnīt bad, and their main competitors had a lot of issues at that time. Ducati had been steadily heading towards success all the way from 2003, when they first participated with the Desmosedici. There were podiums and even victories taken before -07. I think the bike (and Capirossi) actually took one victory already in -03.

The interesting thing is, where exactly did they lose the plot, and how they have managed to do it so completely. Rule changes, new tyres etc., cannot possibly have come as a surprise to them. Honda and Yamaha have adapted to these changes, too.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #236
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post

The interesting thing is, where exactly did they lose the plot, and how they have managed to do it so completely. Rule changes, new tyres etc., cannot possibly have come as a surprise to them. Honda and Yamaha have adapted to these changes, too.
I think we've beaten this topic to death. The consensus is hubris brought on by the weird genius of Stoner masking problems combined with Ducati engineers/Italian arrogance (Rossi, Melandri and even Stoner have mentioned it).

They keep looking for the next Stoner to ride around the problems.

P.s. to be a little fair to Ducati, they don't have cubic Euro's to throw at the problem in the way Honda and Yamaha have. Even Kawasaki and Suzuki were unwilling to fund the requirement to compete.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #237
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
I think we've beaten this topic to death. The consensus is hubris brought on by the weird genius of Stoner masking problems combined with Ducati engineers/Italian arrogance (Rossi, Melandri and even Stoner have mentioned it).

They keep looking for the next Stoner to ride around the problems.

P.s. to be a little fair to Ducati, they don't have cubic Euro's to throw at the problem in the way Honda and Yamaha have. Even Kawasaki and Suzuki were unwilling to fund the requirement to compete.
They know that
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #238
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
I think we've beaten this topic to death.
There is no horse so dead that it can't take another beating.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #239
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131

And we've got three more weeks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
There is no horse so dead that it can't take another beating.

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:01 AM   #240
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post

And we've got three more weeks!
Can I be the whiny kid in the back seat....

"are we there yet?"
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote