Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #151
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwarm View Post
I think you changed the font to yellow and it makes it nearly impossible to read on tapatalk!

Andrew
I went back and fixed a couple pages. Hope that worked.

~Ross
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #152
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

OK...back to the mountain top and our two adventurers.

At this point, we've been wandering around, making new friends and trying to aclimate to the altitude. I would not say that we were particularly successful in the last 2. Aside from feeling more than a little dizzy and disoriented, I was also feeling the effects of exposure to 19 degrees and windy. We didn't have a warm SUV to hide in.

So we decided that it would be best if we tried to get off the mountain and down to some thicker air. It was almost an exact reproduction of the previous evening's dialogue in the parking lot of the steak house. I felt just about the same.

This was the perfect time for the GoPro! One of us was most certainly going to fall off a mountain and we'd get a million hits on YouTube for sure. DT might even give me a web redemption.

I summoned all of my energy and focused it on getting my leg over the bike without falling down. It only took me a couple tries to get it right. Why were there so many people looking at us? After that, it was the whole backing out of the parking spot challenge again. I was jealous of MIke and his cruiser's low seat height...I think his short stature gives him a center of gravity advantage as well. I eventually figured out how to start the motorcycle despite issues with the location of the key, the position of the kill switch, and the kickstand switch that doesn't allow you to start in gear.

The footage of us leaving the parking area is shaky enough to make me motion sick watching it. Of course, we were laughing like maniacs and prognasticating about our impending doom the entire time. I would not recommend Mike as the voice of reason in any scenario.

A couple glamour shots before we hit the road...

This guy is dead sexy...I don't care what your orientation is. I hear that black is slimming.

Hondarider screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 03:25 PM
Old 07-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #153
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Every video I produce starts with this same camera shot. I should trademark it. I'll call it "That's My Junk Productions" and I'll get Mike Judge to provide a laugh track.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #154
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Here we go!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #155
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

ONe of these two groups does not belong here. I'm not sure if the snowboarders or wrong or if we are wrong, but these 2 pursuits rarely collide.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #156
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

I don't remember this corner looking so scary. Mike is yelling in my ear "Gun it!"...Thelma and Louise style.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #157
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Keep in mind that he camera is top of my helmet and pointed a little upward. For me to catch this shot, my head must have been drooped down far enough for my chin to touch my chest. I may have just blacked out.

While we're looking at this picture, I have a funny little story about a skin cancer scare I had when I returned home from this trip. I was sitting in a chair and I spied a discoloration at the base of my left thumb...a brown blotch that was never there before. I immediately jumped to the most logical conclusion available...MELANOMA!

"Oh no, I have skin cancer and I'm going to die!"

I was terribly distraught over my impending fate, but clearly there's no escaping my certain doom. I immediately wept for my wife and children who couldn't possibly go on without me. They better not. Then, while imagining my wife's new young Abercrombie & Fitch boyfriend...some tan young boat boy from Canoe Island Lodge with abs and hair, I noticed that I had the same melanoma on my right hand. NOOOOOOOO!!! Why Lord? I'm too young to go like this! I sat and pondered the meaning of life...man's place in the universe...all the places I hadn't yet ridden to...Oklahoma...Nova Scotia...Alaska. I was an emotional mess. I thought of a Hunter S. Thomson quote...

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Surely I have not lived enough by this measure. As I prepared to give the family the bad news, I took another moment to look at my cancerous spots...strange how they were exactly symetrical...and triangular...

...oh

...never mind

...my mistake

Hondarider screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 01:17 PM
Old 07-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #158
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Apparently there was once a restaurant/lodge up on the hill there. The stone structure is all that's left of it after a fire in 1979. I can't imagine what it would be like to stay up here. We used to drive up here in the middle of the night to "check out the stars", but that was before they started closing the gate at night.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #159
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Clearly Mike and I were not the only people suffering from altitude-induced dimentia. This guy stopped right here...mid-corner...middle of the road...just stopped completely...as if he could not execute the turn. Cars were backing up in both directions while we waited for him to pull it together. The chase truck for the snowboarders was right on top of us and anxious to get to Summit Lake to pick up his bros. The audio of me yelling at this guy is comical.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #160
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

So things didn't get much better with this guy after he unfroze and exited the corner. I think it was actually a woman and there was definitely something wrong inside this car. She stopped a few more times in the next couple hundred yards. If she was feeling anything like me, I had to sympathize, I felt like the Cowardly Lion in the Poppy Field...all I wanted to do was shut my eyes.

When she finally pulled over to let us pass, she chose this wonderful spot...forcing us to pass on a blind corner. You'll note the pedestrian up ahead, forcing cars travelling in the opposite direction to slide on over to our side. I was pretty sure we were going to eat it. Good news! We'd have it on video!

Old 07-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #161
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Remember that thing about an inability to recognize danger? I thought it would be super cool if I could get my mirror to touch the snowbank. Bonus points for a handguard. Even Mike pointed out how stupid this was.

Fortunately, I was unsuccessful.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #162
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

That white line across those distant peaks...that's our road...and it doesn't seem to be going downward fast enough. What I wouldn't give for a big glass of oxygen right now...dull headache throbbing.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #163
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

I just liked this picture. Nothing too comical about it.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #164
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Almost back to Summit Lake, now the kid in the Tacoma can stop riding our butts!

Hondarider screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 05:48 PM
Old 07-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #165
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Just be happy that you're not watching the video of this ride...you would have slit your own wrists by now. This is the highlight reel!

This road does kinda remind me of the opening scenes of the Shining when the family is driving across the desolate mountain highway on their way to the hotel. Just a little bit of foreshadowing...