Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #166
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 613
WooHoo! Photo op! Here's a picture of me taking a picture...or the worst selfie ever.

That's a lot of snow!

Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #167
Marc LaDue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Keep hit up!

Doing a great job Ross!

It couldn't be improved upon. We were up on Evans a few years back with friends and their mountain-climbing son, who proceeded to run up the remaining 300 foot elevation difference between the peak and the parking lot. Meanwhile, the womenfolk were huddled around the one bike that had heated grips. The next year all the lady's bikes sported heated grips, the year after that they were complemented by Gerbing's gear.
By the way, what the heck does Mike have around his ankles? It's not a bicycle he's riding; I doubt his pants will get eaten up by any sprokets.
Regarding melanoma; George Castanza also had a bit of a scare on the show of shows. Beware, the similarities are piling up: both follicly-challenged, neurotic, prone to feats of superhuman stupidity, self-deprecating, and (I'm going to go out on a limb here) homophobes extraordinaire.
You're not an intern, are you (not that there's anything wrong with that)

LaDue
Marc LaDue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #168
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

I'll spare you 20 more pictures of the ride down the mountain. The sky was looking a bit grey and heavy and you've already seen the ride up. I will tell you that the air was thick like syrup and just dripping with sweet O2. At least that's how it felt as we got back down below tree line. My headache went away and I had to give up the ruse of oxygen-deprived disorientation. Based on the number of bikers and hikers along the route, I assume that you can aclimate to the altitude, but I think I'd need more than an hour or two. We hadn't even been in Colorado for 24 hours at this point.

We stopped at the Mt. Evans gift shop for the obligatory "GOT OXYGEN?" sticker and to peruse the assorted tchotchke. Mike searched for a t-shirt to appease the angry girl friend at home. She was still steaming over him and I seeing Colorado without her and most of their phone calls had to be conducted a safe distance away from me to deprive me of comic fodder. I imagine it involved a lot of apologies and assurances that he was having absolutely zero fun. I made sure to post plenty of pictures and comedic check-ins on Facebook every couple hours just to keep the drama going...I knew she was monitoring my Facebook page 24/7 and she made reference to my latest posts every time he called her. Sooner or later, I'd get some good material out of these two...just had to be patient and keep adding fuel to the fire...things would boil over sooner or later and I would be there to enjoy it.

Now, ordinarilly, I would consider this behavior a breach of the Man Code, but Mike has had it too good for too long...unmarried...no kids...total freedom...and he's made sure to remind me of it every single day of the week for 6 years. He deserves any punishment I can lump on him. He would gladly do the same to me if given the opportunity.

It occurred to me that buying her a t-shirt from Colorado, when she didn't actually get to go, would probably pi$$ her off even more...and it would be a constant reminder of that anger for years to come...

I helped him pick one out...maybe he should get her a sweathsirt too.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #169
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc LaDue View Post
Doing a great job Ross!

It couldn't be improved upon. We were up on Evans a few years back with friends and their mountain-climbing son, who proceeded to run up the remaining 300 foot elevation difference between the peak and the parking lot. Meanwhile, the womenfolk were huddled around the one bike that had heated grips. The next year all the lady's bikes sported heated grips, the year after that they were complemented by Gerbing's gear.
By the way, what the heck does Mike have around his ankles? It's not a bicycle he's riding; I doubt his pants will get eaten up by any sprokets.
Regarding melanoma; George Castanza also had a bit of a scare on the show of shows. Beware, the similarities are piling up: both follicly-challenged, neurotic, prone to feats of superhuman stupidity, self-deprecating, and (I'm going to go out on a limb here) homophobes extraordinaire.
You're not an intern, are you (not that there's anything wrong with that)

LaDue
Nope, no homophobia for me...I'm don't want to tell anyone how they should live or who they should love...do whatever makes you happy...as long as you happiness doesn't infringe on my own in any way, I say live and let live. This is one of my few liberal views. Besides...more women for me

As far as Mike's pants garters go, I'm not sure about that myself. He originally wrapped his right pant leg with a velcro strap to keep his rainsuit from melting on the exhaust pipe again. Once the rain suit was gone, he seemed to adopt the look for his jeans. Maybe it keeps the wind out of your pant legs when you're riding with forward controls...maybe he's afraid of a bee sting on his junk...maybe he just thinks they make his calves look sexy. I'd ask him, but he's off on another vacation in Maine today...binge drinking, canoeing, and camping on the Saco River.

Hondarider screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 07:04 AM
Old 08-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #170
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,297
Its those highway pegs on his bike, that and loose pants will chill the nether regions.

You guys put in some long days, so the question comes to mind, whose bike is more comfortable?

Good report, nice pics and funnay commentary, thanks for sharing it.
WarLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #171
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

We cruised back down to Idaho Springs and at e at the worst Subway I've ever seen. There were people lined up out the door, but the 5 employees standing behind the counter were obviously professional actors paid to make an instructional video on "How to Be As Inefficient As Humanly Possible." The director of this particular film, the store manager, stood on the customer side of the cash register...sipping a 90 ounce Coke and congratulating himself on what a well oiled machine he had there.

Here's the scenario.

Guy 1 - First he takes your order..."foot-long roast beef on wheat"...Then he goes to the oven to get your bread, spends an inordinate amount of time finding the type you've requested, fumbles with the paper that the sandwich will rest on, searches everywhere for a knife, struggles with cutting your bread, asks you to repeat your order again, looks bewildered when you request the roast beef, eventually finds it and puts it on the bread, and then asks you asks you what kind of cheese you would like

...all the while 4 other employees and one manager stand there...motionless

"American" please. Now our friendly server wrestles with putting cheese on the bread. Good kid...not overly efficient, but friendly nonetheless. Total cycle time for GUY #1 - 90 seconds.

Guy #2 - this guy has a simpler task.

"Do you want that toasted?"

"No, thanks."

OK, onto Guy #3. Total cycle time for Guy #2 - 3 seconds and back to standing there with hands in pocket

Guy #3 is responsible for condiments, but not all condiments, just those items in the first section...lettuce, tomoato, onion. I request all 3 and my sandwich now moves on to Guy #4. Total cycle time for Guy #3 - average of 10-15 seconds.

Guy #4 gets the sandwich and he's ready for the top shelf veggies...pickles, jalapenos, banana peppers, and even some olives...he's a fast one though...he's got it done in seconds and he's at the ready with the mayo, salt, pepper, and oregano. He laid it all down in 20 seconds and passed it on to Guy #5.

Guy #5 wraps it, bags it, asks if you want a meal, and rings you up. Cycle time 30-45 seconds depending on your method of payment.

Manager still standing there slurping on his soda. I actually heard him comment about his "assembly line". I wanted to smack the soda out of his hands.

So I'm a manufacturing guy...manufacturing lots and lots of things with the least amount of movement, personnel, and yield loss has been my life for a very long time. Any time an employee on a production line is waiting for work, you're losing money.

So while we're eating our lunch and Mike is thinking about butterfiles or sunsets, I'm watching the next 20 patrons get served and doing a time study.

Guy #1 - 90
Guy #2 - 3
Guy #3 - 15
Guy #4 - 20
Guy #5 - 40 (I'm being conservative)

This is a train wreck. There is absolutely no balance to this line. The first guy has more cycle time than the next 4 combined. For every hour he works, guys 2,3, and 4 stand around for 45 minutes! WTF? You could replace guys 2-5 with one person and still meet the same production rate - which is still too slow based on the line out the door. Or, you have 3 folks doing jobs 1-4 and rotating to at least double your line rate (factoring the additional movements, the glove changes, hand washing, etc). This is crazy! I really should step in!

At this point, Mike is eating his sandwich and watching me scribble away on a napkin...muttering to myself about operational improvements and cost saving measures...he's now thinking about what beer he's going to drink tonight and what's on Netflix...pondering what belly button lint smells like...not a care in the world

I'm lamenting the passing of Henry Ford and the downfall of America's ability to compete in a world market...factories moving overseas...society in decline...all accurately portrayed here at a Subway in Idaho Springs, CO...I'm not even eating at this point

I remember somewhere, about 10 pages ago in this thread, where I was going to try to take a vacation from being me and be more like Mike...I wouldn't say I was exactly "nailing it" at this point.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #172
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLlama View Post
Its those highway pegs on his bike, that and loose pants will chill the nether regions.

You guys put in some long days, so the question comes to mind, whose bike is more comfortable?

Good report, nice pics and funnay commentary, thanks for sharing it.

Thanks! I'm sure that you are right about the pegs. I'd say that the GS is way more comfortable. I actually felt bad for Mike on those long highway miles. Ordinarilly, I stand up and stretch my legs quite frequently on long rides. I abstained from that on this trip because I wanted to try to match my road weariness to Mike's. I think I could have done 800+ mile days with little trouble, but I felt it would be unfair/potentially dangerous to push him like that on his first real trip and a cruiser style bike. He was a trooper though...never complained once through 4300 miles...once again robbing me of comedic ammunition.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #173
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

After developing a stress-induced ulcer at Subway, compounded by the jalapeno peppers, we hit the road in search of fast corners, tall mountains, and wild animals. We were headed for Winter Park via one of my favorite roads...US 40 over Berthound Pass...plenty of clean pavement, switchbacks, and passing zones. I wish I was riding a high strung sport bike instead of an over-laden adv-tourer, but concessions must be made. I think it was about noon time.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #174
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider View Post
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]

So while we're eating our lunch and Mike is thinking about butterfiles or sunsets, I'm watching the next 20 patrons get served and doing a time study.

Guy #1 - 90
Guy #2 - 3
Guy #3 - 15
Guy #4 - 20
Guy #5 - 40 (I'm being conservative)

This is a train wreck. There is absolutely no balance to this line. The first guy has more cycle time than the next 4 combined. For every hour he works, guys 2,3, and 4 stand around for 45 minutes! WTF? You could replace guys 2-5 with one person and still meet the same production rate - which is still too slow based on the line out the door. Or, you have 3 folks doing jobs 1-4 and rotating to at least double your line rate (factoring the additional movements, the glove changes, hand washing, etc). This is crazy! I really should step in!

At this point, Mike is eating his sandwich and watching me scribble away on a napkin...muttering to myself about operational improvements and cost saving measures...he's now thinking about what beer he's going to drink tonight and what's on Netflix...pondering what belly button lint smells like...not a care in the world

I'm lamenting the passing of Henry Ford and the downfall of America's ability to compete in a world market...factories moving overseas...society in decline...all accurately portrayed here at a Subway in Idaho Springs, CO...I'm not even eating at this point

I remember somewhere, about 10 pages ago in this thread, where I was going to try to take a vacation from being me and be more like Mike...I wouldn't say I was exactly "nailing it" at this point.
I'm surprised you didn't draw up a value stream / process map and post that up too.

Enjoying the RR. The gopro shots are making me think about purchasing one, since I'm so bad at taking "on the move" shots.

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #175
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Sadly, I didn't take any pictures on the way to Winter Park. The skies were looking a bit sketchy and it was only getting worse to the north. I suspected that we would be driving into thunder and lightning storms by the time we hit Rocky Mountain National Park. It was still dry when we went over Berthound Pass though so I used every bit of cornering clearance I could muster on the GS. I thought for sure that I could drag a Zega if I tried hard enough...I could hear hard metal parts dragging across pavement somewhere in back of me...that was Mike pushing his Victory right to the limits. I should have put my GoPro on the rear facing mount just to see him tearing it up.

If you are interested in the area though, I give it two thumbs up and here are some pictures from my last trip where the wife and I actually hiked to the top of a nearby peak. It's like the Sound of Music up there in the summer. You just want to run through an alpine meadow and sing.

That's the road to Winter Park right there...WooHoo!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #176
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

A couple more pics since some of you seem to like that sort of thing...

We hiked up from that parking lot below. It was horrible!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #177
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

That's a fantastic sky right there.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #178
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

"The hills are alive...with the sound of music"

Old 08-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #179
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

I know this one seems like I'm getting kinda artsy...but honestly I think this is where I woke from my post-ascent blackout.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #180
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Two more and we're back to the trip...

I often wondered where I might run to if I encountered a grizzly up here...happily, I never had to figure it out.