Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #196
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 613
What concerns me the most about this sign is that it is not permanent...it's temporary...like you could put it up only when you need to...for instance, when circumstances dictate the need for a sign that shows a 4 wheeled vehicle sliding all over the road...I wonder when they put this sign up...was it 15 minutes ago or a week ago? Is it a "hey, sometimes things get a little slippery up here" or is it more of a "Holy Crap! A bus full of school children just slid right off the road and into a thousand foot deep crevass!"? These are important questions...these signs should really be much clearer...I should let Mike lead for a while.

Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #197
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

This place is really quite spectacular. I highly recommend it.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #198
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

No time for souvenir spoons and nicknacks...this place looks like Mordor from the Lord of the Rings...we need to get down from here as soon as possible before someone tries to take my precious.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #199
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

I'm pretty sure that there is a PSA out there somewhere that says this is the exact wrong place to be in a lightning storm. It would make for a crazy YouTube video though. Why isn't Mike leading?

Old 08-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #200
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Led Zeppelin's Ramble On cranking on the radio...
Mine's a tale that can't be told,
My freedom I hold dear;
How years ago in days of old
When magic filled the air,
'Twas in the darkest depths of Mordor
I met a girl so fair.
But Gollum
, and the evil one crept up
And slipped away with her.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #201
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oh boy! Now my mind's racing. This is another portable sign...and the sandbag looks fresh...no indication that it has been here for long. This sign is actually concise...ICY ROAD...not "could be icy", "has been icy", or "was icy at one time"...just straight up "ICY ROAD, you and your stupid friend are going to fall down and go boom". I don't feel good about this sign. Nobody could feel good about this sign. I wish this road was at a higher altitude so that I wouldn't so readily recognize danger. Maybe if I hold my breath, I can get myself back into the state I was in on top of Mt. Evans.

On the plus side, maybe we're finally about to have that adventure we set out looking for...

Hondarider screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 07:53 PM
Old 08-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #202
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

So, while we wait to see what happens next...

Will they live or will they both die in a fiery wreck? I do have like 7 gallons of fuel on board...it could happen.

I thought I would offer up a handly little travel tip for those of you with husbands, wives, and children who may actually care whether you make it back from your next motorcycle trip.

You all know what FaceBook is...I expect that some of you hold it in great disdain while others are big fans. I'm usually on the fence about it myself...I like seeing "Big Fake Titties, Guns and Manly SHit That's Gonna PIss Your Girlfriend Off" (honest, that's a page...check him out), but I'm not really interested when someone I went to school with 25 years ago has a really good bowel movement. Some folks share a little too much.

Regardless of your feelings, FaceBook has a function that I really like when I'm travelling far from home. If you have a GPS equipped phone and the FaceBook app, there's a "Check In" function that my wife and kids seemed to take some comfort in. The idea is that you can hit the button and your phone will use the GPS to zero in on your location and make a post on your FaceBook page. For instance, push a couple simple buttons while you're out on the road and your family will see "Harvey Mushman just checked in from the Motel 666 in Adaire, IA". If you've got a couple minutes to spare, you can even add a message like "Harvey Mushman: Having the time of my life at the Motel 666 in Adaire, IA". The app is free, the service is free, and it helps the state troopers to start their investigation when you turn up missing. Your wife can tell them that you were still alive at 9:52 on Tuesday at the MOtel 666 in Adaire. My kids liked it too. I gave my daughter a fresh new atlas and a highlghter before I left and she used these simple check-ins to piece together my entire journey. It was so convenenient that I actually hit the button at every rest stop, fuel stop, and meal. I expect that it would have provided some peace of mind for the family if I had been travelling alone.

Anyhow, maybe this is common knowledge or maybe there are much better ways to let folks know where you are, but I thought it was kinda cool and the price was right...FREE.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming... Ponch and John are screaming up the Grapevine Highway...giving chase to a van load of reefer addicts...when suddenly, they encounter an ICY ROAD sign...
Old 08-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #203
sgio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Fun read!

Thanks for posting this hondarider.
I spent a little time in Wheatridge back in the late 80's. Seeing the pictures of Mount Evans brought back some memories. That place has really changed! A ranger station, visitor center and bathrooms. None of that was there. I can remember driving the rental car up Mount Evans on the first day of summer and just past the lake, the road was covered with slush. A guy coming down the hill in a Jeep, stopped and told us we should turn around as soon a possible. Not the easiest task on a 1 1/2 lane road on the edge of a mountain.

Enjoying your report
sgio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #204
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

I know exactly what you're talking about. I was first out there in '91 and that place was wide open. I remember driving my Jeep up to Summit Lake in late fall with a girl one night to check out all the stars. We must have fallen asleep after we counted them all , and when we awoke, it was 2 or 3 AM and it was pitch black and cold. I started the Jeep and turned on the headlights, but it was still dark outside. I thought I must have blown a fuse or something. When I got out to investigate, there was a full blown blizzard raging. It was dark because the snow had already drifted up my windshield! We put it in 4 low and it took hours to crawl back down the mountain...serious white-knuckle driving and hugging the inside line the entire way. We didn't have the benefit of Accuweather on the cell phone in those days. That was a real adventure. There's no way that would happen these days. Rangers probably shut down the mountain at the first hint of bad weather.

On a related note, I heard the've paved Guanella Pass. I don't know if you're familiar, but that used to be back country once you got out of Georgetown. Now there's probably motor coaches and minivans cruising through there.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #205
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

When last we saw our two uneasy riders, they were staring down an "ICY ROAD" sign and mentally preparing for the inevitable low side slide to oblivion on the next corner. AT least one of them was concerned for their safety...the other was most likely completely oblivious and rocking out to Tom Petty on his headset. We trudged onward despite the indications of danger ahead. This spot, which is generally one of my favorite parts of this ride, seemed like the ideal place for an insidious sheet of ice to lay in wait for a couple dopey New Englanders on motorcycles.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #206
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

I told Mike that this 15mph corner was guaranteed to be the icy spot we were warned about. "Kiss your a$$ goodbye...this is going to be the end"

Old 08-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #207
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Here it comes!

Old 08-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #208
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

ANd then...

NOTHING.

We cruised around the wet corner without incident and just kept going. No close call...no death defying maneuvers...no pushing my riding skills to the limt...no drama...no adventure! Just more road. This is why I named this thread the Anti-Adventure Ride. Nothing ever happens on this trip. All the indicators of adventure are there, but we just keep skating by. It's as if we were blessed...or cursed if you're hoping for some good writing material. I was growing annoyed at the prospect of riding home with not so much as one epic event. I'm going to have to try much harder. Clearly adventure isn't going to just show up and make an appearance. When I bought the GSA, I was assured that every ride would be like running the Dakar Rally, racing horses across Mongolia, or circumnavigating the globe. I'm starting to think that this thing is just for boring rides to the corner Starbucks.

More road...no adventure.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #209
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

ANd this stupid storm! I swear we're never going to reach it! It seems like we've been driving straight towards it all afternoon and it's running in the opposite direction. I've got my rain suit, Mike's rocking his mittens, let's get it on! Bring on the epic hail storm! Show me some lightning! Smite me! (or at least smite Mike while I video it...he won't mind...honest). I bet we would have gotten it with both barrels if we didn't stop to rock the super suits.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #210
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

This guy was probably responsible for our continued safe passage over the mountains...BA$TARD!