Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #211
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 613
Nothing to do now except chase the storm and hope for the worst...

Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #212
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Eventually we catch up with this parade of slow moving cars and are stuck for the duration of the descent to Estes Park.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #213
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

We eventually get sick of the parade and we stop to ditch the super suits. I heard some rustling in the trees and I was hopeful that some wild animal would errupt from the dense foliage and maul MIke. No such luck...it was just a squirrel. We have the worst luck!

Old 08-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #214
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Well, that's the end of my Rocky MOuntain National Park coverage. We rode it end to end without being blown off the mountain, charged by a rabid bull elk, or banging heads with a Bighorn ram. Instead, all we got was epic scenery, dry switchbacks, and a few laughs. Truly disappointing. YOu can clearly see the disappointment on my face as I turn off the GoPro.

On to Estes Park!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #215
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

After last night's shenanigans in Golden, I was committed to finding lodging within walking distance of the bars in Estes Park. I had made the usual deals with God regarding better behavior if he'd just let me get back to the hotel without incident. I think I may have sworn to NEVER drink and ride again. I wasn't about to go back on that oath just 24 hours later...that seems like you're just tempting fate, regardless of your religious beliefs or disbeliefs. Quite frankly, I very rarely drink and ride...I never anticipated losing my faculties after just 2 bottles of Corona...and I hardly ever go past 3 beers regardless of where I am.

However, we were also planning not to ride for the next 36 hours so we wanted to be close enough to some recreational opportunities. Downtown Estes Park seemed to offer multiple recreational choices.

With that requirement in mind, my favorite places along Fall River Road were eliminated. We cruised up and down Elkhorn Ave a couple times and there was really only one place that appealed to me. It was walking distance to the strip, it surpassed the bar we set at the MOtell 666 in Adaire, and it was guaranteed to get MIke's girlfriend all spun up. Besides, it was my turn to pay for the room...

The Historic Stanley Hotel.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #216
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

IN case you're not familiar, the Stanley was opened in 1909, is reputed to be haunted, and was the inspiration for the Shining after Stephen King stayed here. The movie plays on a continuous loop in the rooms and there are ghost tours all night long. Surely something newsworthy would happen here. Even if it didn't, the sheer opulance of the place was sure to put Mike in the doghouse.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #217
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

YOu should have seen me walking through the lobby in full riding gear....Alpinestars clicking across finely polished floors....incongruous textile and armor against a sea of plaid shorts and Izod shirts...I should've tied a sweater around my neck as WASP camouflage.

The knucklehead behind the desk immediately reminded me of the snooty maitre d' from Ferris Bueller's Day Off...I thought for sure he was going to turn me away, but despite his best efforts, he was able to offer us a room with 2 king sized beds for the princely sum of $280 plus tax and fees and other manufactured surcharges. I got the key and was initially disappointed that it wasn't room 217, but I was sure that there were no meth-addicts on the premises...so we had that going for us.

Here's the lobby.

I immediately checked-in on FaceBook to let our friends and family back home know that we had arrived safely at the next posh destination. I could almost hear a pot boiling over somewhere....

Hondarider screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 06:08 PM
Old 08-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #218
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Bring on the creepy twins!

Old 08-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #219
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

WooHoo! 4 pillows each! That's even more luxurious than the Hampton Inn!

I hope Mike remembered to bring his dog costume...
Old 08-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #220
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

A friend asked me today what Mike thinks of this thread...LOL...he has no idea that I'm writing it I think I'll wait until it's completed before I tell him about it...if I tell him about it. He might not enjoy my retelling of the events. He might not enjoy his role as my comic foil.

"Comic Foil: A humorous character who, by contrast, helps the audience recognize the distinctive qualities of another character (often the tragic hero)"

Sorry Mike. It's a legitimate literary technique and someone had to take the bullet. THis is simply payback for years of smack talk. Look at me! I'm a tragic hero!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #221
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Some of the cruder folks in our office suggested that 1 bed was for our gear and the other was for cuddling. They're just jealous of our love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider View Post
WooHoo! 4 pillows each! That's even more luxurious than the Hampton Inn!

I hope Mike remembered to bring his dog costume...
Old 08-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #222
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Elevator out of service...I assume to clean up after the river of blood.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #223
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider View Post
Elevator out of service...I assume to clean up after the river of blood.

And your room is on the top floor?

I'm CO bound next week!
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #224
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

So we checked in to our room, unloaded the bikes, and got ready to head out on foot to tour the town and get some food. This place is pretty cool...tons of history...lots of old pictures...a museum...and an expansive property. No giant hedge maze though...that's disappointing. I try to imagine what it must have been like 100 years ago when this giant hotel stood nearly alone against the Rocky Mountain backdrop. The winters must have been shockingly desolate. I suspect that this place offered a great deal of inspiration for someone as prolific as Stephen King; even I could rattle off pages of rambling prose about this place. Mike was off taking a shower...I considered chopping through the door with a fire axe just for fun.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #225
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl Rdr View Post
And your room is on the top floor?

I'm CO bound next week!
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I think we stayed in room 322...that's the room with the crazy old lady submerged in the bath tub. Rest assured that I checked behind the curtain every time I went in there.