Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #241
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 613
It was bad enough that we did it...much worse that there were pictures.

We wouldn't soon live this one down.

THe guys in the office were going to get a lot of mileage out of this...

Hondarider screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 04:21 PM
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #242
lwood10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
ready for the kill! Wanted dead or alive! enjoying the tale.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #243
Ghostie
Cereal Killa

Oddometer: 67
your expressions are hilarious
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #244
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
That'll do instead of the caricature!

rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #245
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

By the time we left the old time photo place, my buzz was completely gone. We were now just 2 sober guys carrying 8x10 photos of us dressed up as cowboys. That's just sad. We went a couple doors down and found an Irish pub kinda place to get a couple more beers. The place was desserted. I guess Monday night in Estes Park is not peak business for the bars. The place was awkwardly silent...just M!ke and I sitting across the bar from the bartender...golf on the television...staring at one another. Way too quiet.

So M!ke decides to take advantage of the situation and called his girlfriend. This should be fun. He gets her on the phone and I can tell from his tone that she's none too happy with him. First off, they get into it about the Stanley Hotel. I had already posted a few pics on Facebook and she was looking at them. Apparently M!ke never takes her anyplace nice like that...and now he's staying there with me! I hear him trying to defend himself..."I didn't pick the place; Ro$$ did!"..."I didn't pay for it! Ro$$ did!". He was clearly in hot water. I made a mental note to upload more pictures as soon as possible.

Next on the itinerary was the Rocky Mountain Oysters. Apparently M!ke is never willing to try new foods when he's with her...now he's off in Colorado eating things that Joe Rogen wouldn't even eat. "I ask you try new things all the time and you say no!...but you'll try anything if your boyfriend, Ro$$, is trying it." I've never enjoyed Facebook as much I was this week. This was priceless. Instead of busting M!ke's balls the normal way...ridiculing him while he sat there next to me...I could just post a few well placed photos and humorous commentary from the iPhone and then wait for her to bust them for me. It's like a $hit talk boomerang. I was ready to take it to the next level.

While M!ke was busy on the phone, I took out the 8x10 photo from the old time place and I took a picture of it with the camera phone. I then posted it to FB and waited for M!ke's phone to explode. This would be epic. Now I was starting to enjoy myself again...drinking my beer and laughing like a fool while M!ke tried to defend himself against an attack he never saw coming. The bartender must have thought I was nuts.

Unfortunately, M!ke's phone call ended a few minutes later. I heard the telltale "OK, I love you too" and it was over. Clearly she hadn't seen the picture yet. The anticipation would surely kill me.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #246
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

We finished up and decided to find another bar with a little more action. We cruised a few more doors down and found the famed Wheel Bar; touted as Estes Park's oldest and rowdiest watering hole. We grabbed a couple stools and the bartender fetched us a few cold ones...mostly locals hanging out after work...a strangely hypnotic rotating wheel behind the bar...decent enough place. A group of college girls came in and asked to line up a few rows of shots. This seemed promising at first; then I realized that I'm too old, too bald, too fat, and too married for college girls...no matter how many shots they throw back. Well, maybe one of them would fall down...that would be fun to watch.

Right about then, M!ke's phone rang. It was the girlfriend. The conversation went something like this...

M!ke - "Hey, how's it going?"

Her - "I just saw the picture of you two dressed like cowboys"

M!ke looks over at me and says "Thanks a lot...D!CK!"

I laugh, laugh, laugh...

Her - "How come when I want to do something like that you always say no? Yet you take off to Colorado for a week and now you're up for it? You're just all sorts of fun when you're hanging out with him! You never want to do anything with me!"

M!ke takes moment to flip me off.

I'm crying from laughter. I can actually hear her yelling through the phone over all the noise in the bar - including the Girls Gone Wild group directly to my left.

M!ke - "I don't know. We were just walking by and thought it would be funny. What's the big deal?"

From there, I'm not quite sure what she said, but she said a lot of it. I ordered another beer and was thoroughly enjoying myself.

Finally, the phone call had run its course and M!ke said that he had to go.

M!ke - "OK Honey, I'll talk to you tomorrow. I love you."

Her - "WHATEVER!"

HaHaHaHaHaHaHa. Poor M!ke. He had no idea what was going on. He was getting a beat down and he didn't even know what he had done. Just minding his own business and trying to enjoy the trip, yet someone was actively sabotaging his good time. Against all rationale, he somehow found a reason to blame me.

I was shocked and hurt by the accusation that I might take some small amount of joy in M!ke's misfortune...

...I was taking a ton of joy in it.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #247
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Man, I hope he doesn't convert that "girlfriend" into a "wife". Because with her wonderful personality, she will rapidly become "ex".

DAMHIK.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #248
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Man, I hope he doesn't convert that "girlfriend" into a "wife". Because with her wonderful personality, she will rapidly become "ex".

DAMHIK.
I assume it will happen eventually. I also assume that this might have been his last motorcycle trip. ON the other hand, I did catch him looking at touring bikes on his computer this morning. I'm headed for Nova Scotia in 3 weeks with a couple guys, but I don't think he dares mention it to her. Too bad. I wonder if they have caricature artists there...

Hondarider screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 09:45 AM
Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #249
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

A beer or two later and we were ready to head back to the hotel. We made the trek back to the Stanley and kicked back in the lobby for a bit. Folks were gathering for one of the numerous ghost tours held nightly. This place is definitely classier than the Hampton Inn or the MOtel 666.

M!ke catching up on this month's issue of the New Yorker

Random mantle decorations...

M!ke reenacting his favorite scene from Gone With The Wind

Apparently, Mr. Stanley made his fortune with the Stanley Steamer car company. They keep one of them in the lobby.

The sign said "DO NOT TOUCH"...so what do you think M!ke just had to do? I was hoping that Security would come out of nowhere and get him with the tazer..." In the face!"

Hondarider screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 09:26 AM
Old 08-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #250
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

The lobby was dead so we headed up to the room. I stopped at the front desk to inquire about keeping the room for a second night. Unfortunately, they were not able to accommodate us so we'd have to look for a new hotel the next morning. I was initially disappointed until we got back to the room and noticed that there was no air conditioning. Apparently, the management was striving to keep the Stanley as historically accurate as possible and, as such, we would be forced to forego air conditioning. WTF? There was a thermostat on the wall, but it was only meant to torment you....84 degrees and nothing you could do about it. I opened all the windows and found a small oscillating fan, but it did nothing. Just sweating all night long. This was actually my worst night of sleep for the entire trip. Even Motel 666 had air conditioning. This was ridiculous. I spent half the night sitting on a windowsill and watching the ghost hunters running around the property with cameras and flashlights. I couldn't wait to get out of there. I would have gone swimming, but the pool wasn't open yet for the season despite the record temperatures.

Regarding the ghosts, I can't say that I saw anything specific, but I did wake from a particularly restless sleep and heard strange noises from the room next door. I'm not sure if ghosts are generally this amorous, but these ghosts were really going to town.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #251
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Day 5 broke sunny, bright, and warm. A perfect Colorado day...or anywhere I suppose. I woke M!ke with the music of the electric razor. I was pretty sure that he'd be throwing that thing in the toilet any day now. We hit the streets on foot in search of breakfast and another place to stay. It was only 7:00AM and check-out wasn't until 11:00 so we had plenty of time to eat, find tonight's lodging, and then come back to the hotel to load up the bikes. The goal was not to ride at all today, but it looked like we might have to make one short trip after all. Big breakfast at "The Egg and I" restaurant...funny name...good food. After breakfast, we hit a few local shops so M!ke could attempt to win the girlfriend over with trinkets and souvenir t-shirts when he got home. I recommended a giant set of steer horns; not because she'd like them...just because they'd look fantastic on his motorcycle for the 2000 mile ride back home.

We wandered the back streets and found the Misty Mountain Lodge about a block or two off of Elkhorn Ave. The proprietors were just waking up when we showed up on their doorstep.

A family-run operation, the husband and wife were very friendly and inquisitive about our trip. It was Day 5 and we finally heard the question I had been expecting all week.

"How many rooms?"

"Just one"

"One bed or two?"

LOL. I put my arm around Mike and tried to make him as uncomfortable as humanly possible.

"Two beds" he said in his most manly voice.

We all laughed and the owner said "You never know. Don't want to assume anything."

I assured him that we like to go to our own separate beds after the cuddling is over. I liked these folks.

They gave us a room, but told us that the current guests, fellow riders on tour of the US from Great Britain, probably wouldn't be heading out until 10 and then they would need to clean the room. We could check-in by noon.

Perfect! We'll head back to the Stanley, load up, and bring the bikes down to our new home.

Hondarider screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 05:48 AM
Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #252
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #253
Marc LaDue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Still Enjoying!

Your's is still the thread I'm looking for every time I make it to this site, what talent! Why are you wasting your time engineering? Have Dave Barry sponsor you, Vermin, and Joe Gresch and start a cycle traveling mag, I mean it!

LaDue
Marc LaDue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #254
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Thanks a lot man! I need to get busy finishing this story up. I've got another trip in 3 weeks and I want to be able to concentrate on that story. I'm going to try to get more pictures on that trip.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #255
Mortis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298

Loving the report but the suspense is killing us!

Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote