Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #256
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post

Loving the report but the suspense is killing us!

Sorry. Life has been getting in the way a bit. Hopefully, I'll have time to do some writing later today. I want to get to the Rockin Rollercoaster ride in the Land Cruiser.
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #257
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,399

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #258
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

OK...I'm back on track...spent a little time clipping still frames out of videos and getting them hosted on Photobucket so I can share.

When last we checked in, it was early on Day 5 and M!ke and I had just secured lodging for the evening. With that settled, we hiked back through town and up the hill to the Stanley. Beautiful, perfect, sunny day...just right for a 3 hour off-road tour in the mountains and minimal seat time on the motorcycles. We had the bikes loaded up in short order and decided to kick back on the front porch of the Stanley like Robin Leach. The views are really quite exceptional.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #259
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

After soaking up as much opulance as we could and touring the lower level of the Stanley where they have fish, butterflies, and tons of historical artifacts, we cruised on down to our new digs at the Mistly MOuntain Lodge.

We arrived just in time to meet the folks who were checking out of our room. They were on holiday from Great Britain and riding a borrowed cruiser all over the Southwest. Based on their full-race Alpinestars leathers, boots, and helmets, I'm guessing they don't ride slow American cruisers back at home. They would have looked more at home in the World Superbike paddock at Donnngton Park than here in Colorado. We talked bikes for a while, I took some pictures for them, and then they were off to Vegas.

The owner told us that they would set to cleaning the room right away, but we were perfectly happy dropping off the bikes and heading back out to be tourists. We said we'd check back around noon to see if we could get into the room.

From there, we mostly just killed time and wandered around...picked up a few postcards for the wife and kids...a sticker here...a t-shirt there...checked out the high end camping equipment that white people like to decorate their closets with.

We moved into the room around noon, packed up a couple items and headed to ROCKY MOUNTAIN RUSH Offroad Tours for our 1:00 appointment with the Rockin Rollercoaster.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #260
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

So the pictures I'm about to post are still frames from movie footage I collected on my GoPro. I can't begin to describe how poorly they reflect the action we saw that afternoon. It was truly ridiculous and, at some points, frightening. We came back with bruises, sore muscles, and sore faces from the constant laughter. This was supposed to be our easy day - off of the bikes - but we took a beating much worse than the thousands of miles we had ridden. I suppose it was our own fault for goading the driver into elevating the speed, the air time, and the danger throughout the trek. He certainly earned his tip.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #261
Mortis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
This is gonna be good

Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #262
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,474
Great RR! Enjoying your sense of humor as well!

That Hampton Inn in Golden is right outside the back door to my office. It was funny having a mental picture of where you were and where you were going on your visit to the Keg (wife and I are going there Sat) made me laugh!
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #263
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

BUSTED!

Some sneaky bad people at work discovered my thread and now I have to delete all of my posts before everyone in the building gets a hold of them. I don't think I need that kind of heat. The anonymity had allowed me the luxury of poetic license, but they went and ruined it. I'm going to post all of their personal contact information though so that interested parties can voice their discontent.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #264
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider View Post
BUSTED!

Some sneaky bad people at work discovered my thread and now I have to delete all of my posts before everyone in the building gets a hold of them. I don't think I need that kind of heat. The anonymity had allowed me the luxury of poetic license, but they went and ruined it. I'm going to post all of their personal contact information though so that interested parties can voice their discontent.
Well, that truly sucks.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #265
lwood10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
quit stalling
Old 08-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #266
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,399
^^Agreed. Quit stalling.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #267
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

LOL. OK. I've already got way too much time invested in this to turn back now. I was initially concerned that my coworkers would discover I'm a dilettante in the world of adult film, but $screw it, let them buy the DVD from Vivid.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #268
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Mike and I arrived at Rocky MOuntain Rush at the appointed time; ready for adventure. The woman in the office was sad to inform us that because there were only 2 of us signed up, they would have to cancel the ride. Apparently they have a minimum before they'll take out a tour. I can understand it...you've got the cost of the gas, the salary for the driver, and the wear and tear on the vehiclle itself. You probably don't break even with only 2 paying passengers. I did my very best to look crestfallen and pitiful over the news. I pulled out all the stops and went for full blown "lugubrious". (That's a high school vocab word that I've been trying to work into a conversation for the past 25 years. It actually fits here.)

I was just about to take my act of abject sadness to Shakespearean heights when she looked at us and said "You know what, we're going to send you out anyway" WooHoo!! I thanked her effusively for her kindness and we had a seat on the couch to await our chariot. The driver showed up a few minutes later to pick us up in the truly bad-a$$ LandCruiser. He was exactly what I've come to expect in a mountain guide...probably in his 40s...a runaway from the corporate rat race in some faceless city...a "hang loose" disposition...just looking to ski all winter and enjoy the outdoors all year long...a carefree spontaneous existence...exactly how I'd like to imagine I'd be if I decided to drop everything and moved to high altitude. Of course, that would never work for me...I'd have to have an itinerary for hanging loose and a detailed plan for all spontaneous activities. Of course, high altitude and a healthy diet of weed might cure me of those obsessive tendencies all together. Anyhow, he asked where the people were and the lady told him that it was only going to be Mike and I. He looked at us...we looked at him...and he laughed..."We'll be doing some Dukes of Hazzard stuff today then?"..."ABSOLUTELY" was our response..."Right on!"...I've forgotten his name, but we'll call him Johnny Knoxville for reasons to be revealed later. (Foreshadowing...)

So Johnny loaded up his cooler with snacks and beverages for the trek, told us to hop in, and we motored on down the road.

Our tour guide for the afternoon...

We saw this pose numerous times throughout the afternoon...usually right after some particularly death-defying activity...I think he was checking to see if we were still in the truck...or bleeding
Old 08-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #269
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

We cruised east out of Estes Park on Rt. 36...past Estes Lake...and left up Pole Hill Rd. At some point, the road ended at a gate and I thought we were beat...but Johnny had the key and soon we were crawling up a dirt trail. Johnny cranked up the tunes and locked in the hubs...

Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #270
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

From there. we took a ride up to a fire tower to check out the landscape and take some pictures. The forest fire that had started in Rocky Mountain National Park the day before was picking up steam and the smoke was making it all the way to Estes.

The fire started as a plume on the horizon

I wonder if they'd consider a trade for my motorcycle...

Random alpine views