Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #301
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 613
What I didn't know now, but would hear about later, was that this was the very moment when the other 3 or 4 bighorns were just about to plow into me from my 4 o'clock position...chasing the others toward the canyon wall. I was utterly oblivious...trying to get footage of the first 3 as they scampered up the hill.

Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #302
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

And then, it was over. The remaining sheep dodged my bike, passed behind me, and skittered up the rocks in pursuit of the rest. No impact. No footage. No internet fame. I'm never going to get "That's My Junk" Productions off the ground. I'm cursed with good luck and crappy footage. Too bad Mike didn't have a GoPro...sounds like he would have gotten some exciting images to share.

Oh well...more curvy canyon roads...blah, blah, blah. When's breakfast?

Old 09-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #303
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

We hit Loveland in short order and stopped for another excellent breakfast at The Egg and I. I absolutely love eating on road trips. I eat everything I love and shouldn't eat. Giant glasses of whole milk at every meal...so thick and cold, you almost need a spoon (my wife would never allow it). Country-fried steak at every meal...smothered in gravy...over eggs in the morning and over mashed potatoes at night...you can feel your heart actually slow down as you eat it. I'm salivating just thinking about. There's always room for chili or chowder to get the party started. Cheeseburgers with green chile peppers...onion rings...fries...milkshakes...beer...

...I just got a little light-headed thinking about it. I think I might like the eating more than the riding. I think my next ride report just might be a play by play of every meal and I'll skip the riding all together. Nothing good ever happens on the bike anyways.

That's a plate full of happiness right there...

And a little joy just to wash it down...

I'm thinking about getting a Cracker Barrel tattoo on my arm...
Old 09-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #304
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Bellies full and calls home completed, we set out north on I-25...back to the super slab...no corners...no mountains...no respite from the monotony or the sun...just highway and the endless stream of semis.

Somewhere north of Cheyenne, I spied a sign that said "NO GAS FOR 60 MILES". The trip meter indicated about 100 miles from the last gas stop...Mike's bike goes about 140-150 miles per tank...some quick math indicates that we would have a problem...I was a little annoyed that he wasn't saying anything as we passed the sign...probably back there enjoying his ride...not a care in the world. I considered letting him run out of gas 40 minutes up the road just to teach him a lesson about situational awareness, but I feared the lesson would be lost on him and I'd be stuck siphoning fuel out of my tank on the side of the interstate. He'd just continue to plow blissfully along while I watched every mile tick by...the anticipation mounting in me...worried about having a good spot to pull over...worried about whether or not he would have the sense to get out of traffic...worried about whether his engine would restart after running the tank dry...worry...worry...worry...

...meanwhile, he'd enjoy the next 40 minutes, run out of gas, coast to the side of the road, and then say "Well...I guess that happened. You got that siphon?" There would be no lesson...no significant inconvenience...no root cause analysis...just an unscheduled fill-up via my 8 gallon tank.

After all of these things raced through my head and I pondered the possible outcomes for about 6 seconds, I opted to turn back and hit the last gas station. MIke seemed surprised when I said we were doubling back. Of course he was...
Old 09-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #305
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Somewhere north...exit 126 maybe...we broke off of I25 and headed east on 18/20 towards the town of Lusk, Wyoming. This road is straight up desolate...just prairie as far as you can see to the south and train tracks running parallel to the road on the north side. We were so far out in the middle of nowhere...no cell signal...no houses...very few cars...just rolling prairie. It wasn't unattractive, but it sure made you feel small...as if you might walk for days and days in any direction without finding anything. That's not something you experience in New England. A train approached...pulling a mile of cars behind it...and the conductor laid on the horn a couple times as he neared us...I assumed that he was excited to see other human beings and just wanted to say hi...I was excited too. We waved and rode onward.

We stopped for gas in Lusk. Seemed like a nice enough place. Good place to take a break and grab a snack. I saw the oddest thing while standing in front of the gas station. A Polaris Razr came zipping down Main Street and parked in front of a business as if it was the most normal thing ever. It had a normal license plate on the back and the driver seemed like this was business as usual. He did his business, came out of the building, hopped inside, and zipped off into traffic. That was a first for me. I dig those things...I'd kill to be able to ride one down the street. There not even legal on most trails where I live. Apparently you can have more fun out here in the open country.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #306
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
THank you.. Just reading this gave me heartburn !
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #307
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
I remember being surprised once in Riverton, Wyoming to discover that the local drugstore carried handguns. Didn't do that in Boulder.

Loving the report! Can't wait to see what hi-jinks you two jokers get up to when you get to the Corn Palace!

And.....looking forward to the report you'll be doing after the trip you're prepping for now...hint hint
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #308
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Ahem.....(sound of foot tapping impatiently)......awaiting the stunning conclusion to this RR.....does Mike set fire to the Corn Palace, transforming it into (briefly) the world's largest popcorn machine? Does he run out of gas, finally, in Detroit and you leave him to be eaten by zombies? Does his girlfriend ever forgive him for any of this, and does he forgive you for constantly tossing him under the bus? How many more times does a desk clerk eye the two of you tossers and ask "one bed or two?"

Inquiring minds want to know....
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #309
Klutch
gringo goatrider

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider View Post
I just about managed to rub my mirror on this one. What the hell is that guy thinking? I'm already dizzy as hell and he's out for a jog.

Sounds like a fun ride and sure makes me miss my home state. Keep up the great pics!

In Japan we used to rub our helmets on a decreasing radius left hander and try to maintain contact all the way around the curve. I almost knocked my helmet off on a bolt one day while riding my ZXR750. So the next day I took my wife back to watch the other riders do it from the safety of her Toyota Carina ED. The Fireblade rider we were following nailed some guardrail damage and knocked his helmet off. He was rag-dolled and his bike ghost rode directly into the opposite guardrail and went over the top. Luckily the rider came too and his buddies helped pick up his Honda. It was on the perimeter road of Lake Ogawara. There's prob locals and guiijins still doing it there today.
Lesson learned for me. Keep it slow and play in the dirt!
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #310
aboveangkor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Word on the street is Mikes pregnant.
aboveangkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #311
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Sorry folks! I just got back from my trip to Meat Cove, Nova Scotia for a bowl of chowder and I immediately started replacing the roof on my house. I've been out straight for a week and asleep by 8:30 every night. We did successfully escape the zombies and Mike and the baby are quite healthy. We'll be back to our regularly scheduled programming shortly.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #312
tarheel rider
Tight Lines

Oddometer: 107
Well....how was the NS Trip?

Last I heard you were going again. This RR is the best!! A little over the top! That is the way it should be.

John
Old 09-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #313
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

When last we saw our intrepid explorers, they were headed north out of Lusk, Wyoming and headed for Mt. Rushmore...

The ride north was fairly uninspiring...lots of fast highway, no cell service for Pandora radio, and not much to look at. Eventually we crossed into South Dakota and the topography of the Black Hills was much more to my liking. We saw the Crazy Horse Monument rise out of the trees and the hills on the right side of the road. It's big. Much bigger than Mt. Rushmore I think. You can see the face and the outline of the horse's head...it's an epic undertaking for a nonprofit organization that is not government funded. I considered stopping to check it out, but instead, decided that I'd just stop by later when its completed. I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #314
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Now the last time that I visited Mt. Rushmore was a fiasco that I'm still hearing about to this day. The wife and I were driving home from 2 weeks in Colorado and Wyoming in 2002 and we decided to go see Mt. Rushmore. It was late July or early August and the place was a zoo. The parking lot was packed and I made loop after loop trying to find a parking spot for my truck. Frustration growing with each passing second, I finally lost my cool and said "Look out the window! That's Mt. Rushmore right there! Soak it in! We're done here!" and I drove away in a fit...camping gear skittering wildly across the bed of my Tacoma...engine at redline...tires squealing...steam coming out of my ears.

We rode in angst-filled silence for miles.

I don't think a week has gone by in the past 10 years where she hasn't reminded me of my meltdown in the Mt. Rushmore parking lot. Usually her smack talk manifests itself in her best Chevy Chase/European Vacation impersonation as we drive past some historic or scenic location.

She'll say "Look kids! Mount Rushmore!"

Even the kids do it now...though they have no idea why its funny

"Hey dad...is that Mount Rushmore out the window?"

There's no wonder that I choose to travel by motorcycle and leave them home these days.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #315
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

I could feel the apprehension rising up within me as we neared Mt. Rushmore...clearly there would be no place to park...clearly we'd be stuck in a long parade of traffic...throngs of tourists...crowds...mobs...zombie hordes. I could hear the mother's voice from Carrie screeching in my head, but instead of "They're all going to laugh at you!", she was saying "You'll never find parking!" A cold sweat ensued.

Mike...completely oblivious to the bucket of pig blood looming above...was probably having a wonderful time.