Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #316
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 613
We rounded a bend in the road and there it was...

Toll Booths

A whole row of them...with cars lined up in orderly fashion...passing through in a timely and efficient manner. This was new.

In short order, I pulled up to the booth and was greeted by a young college coed. She took my money, put a sticker on the stalk of my mirror, and waved me on to parking. No drama..no stress...no problem. Another potential adventure thwarted.

From there, we followed the arrows to a multi-deck parking garage that I'm absolutely positive was not there in 2002. There was ample covered parking, tons of open spaces, and almost no congestion at all. We dismounted, hung our gear on the bikes, and cruised up to the entrance.

Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #317
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

So here's my gripe with Mount Rushmore. They did an amazing job carving the thing, but they left behind a total mess. What's with all of the debris? It totally detracts from the the overall presentation. That boulder field below the faces needs to be cleaned up. Get some excavators in there and haul that $hit away...plant some grass...maybe some trees. It's just shameful...like a job half completed. It's like a crew showed up at your house, stripped your roof, did a beautiful job shingling it, and then left all the old shingles and nails on your lawn. I don't like it. I'm going to write a letter to someone. I was looking for a suggestion box.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #318
The Easy Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Awesome RR - just wasted the entire morning reading it all start to here.
The Easy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #319
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Between the RRs that are out to impress or inspire ("Wrestling picture. What do you need, a road map?"), it's great to come across one that does something seemingly rare and difficult: entertain.

One thing I'm unclear about: doesn't Mike's GF know about this thread? By all accounts, she's a little unforgiving -- how'd she deal with her portrayal here?
Mike Yanagita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #320
Marc LaDue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
You are something!

Truly,

You're a piece of work!

LaDue
Marc LaDue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #321
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider View Post
So here's my gripe with Mount Rushmore. They did an amazing job carving the thing, but they left behind a total mess. What's with all of the debris? It totally detracts from the the overall presentation. That boulder field below the faces needs to be cleaned up. Get some excavators in there and haul that $hit away...plant some grass...maybe some trees. It's just shameful...like a job half completed. It's like a crew showed up at your house, stripped your roof, did a beautiful job shingling it, and then left all the old shingles and nails on your lawn. I don't like it. I'm going to write a letter to someone. I was looking for a suggestion box.

You know, I never really thought about that until now. Since reading your remarks, it is starting to bother me. Great analogy about the roof job. I just had a crew out here to trim my oleanders. They did a great job trimming, but a shit job at cleaning up. Point me to the suggestion box!!

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #322
1marka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
You are a fantastic writer. Lovin' this report.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #323
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
Between the RRs that are out to impress or inspire ("Wrestling picture. What do you need, a road map?"), it's great to come across one that does something seemingly rare and difficult: entertain.

One thing I'm unclear about: doesn't Mike's GF know about this thread? By all accounts, she's a little unforgiving -- how'd she deal with her portrayal here?

LOL. Neither MIke nor his girlfriend have read this ride report. I told him that I was writing it and making fun of him in the process - he wasn't the least bit surprised, but he didn't even inquire about where it was. We've been busting one anothers' balls daily for 6 or 7 years - he doesn't give it a second thought...he just rolls with life...I'm jealous. His girlfriend, however, would lose her mind if she read it...especially some of the comments. She's still angry about the trip.

Yesterday MIke was telling us that she had wanted him to try Chicken and Waffle flavored potato chips...he declined and said that it didn't sound good to him...she pushed him to try them...he still said no.

"Sure! You'd try them if your boyfriend, Ross, wanted you to try them! You ate freakin' BULL TESTICLES when you were on that stupid trip to COLORADO!"

Clearly, she's still a bit miffed.

I opined that Mike would never be allowed to go on another motorcycle trip. He countered that he could go on another trip...just not with me. Apparently we exceeded his "fun quotient"

Hondarider screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 05:07 PM
Old 09-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #324
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc LaDue View Post
Truly,

You're a piece of work!

LaDue

I do what I can...
Old 09-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #325
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
You know, I never really thought about that until now. Since reading your remarks, it is starting to bother me. Great analogy about the roof job. I just had a crew out here to trim my oleanders. They did a great job trimming, but a shit job at cleaning up. Point me to the suggestion box!!

JG

Just look at it. Imagine how much nicer it would look if all that debris was gone and there was clean rock face dotted with trees below the faces. I'm surprised more people aren't complaining.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #326
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
"Sure! You'd try them if your boyfriend, Ross, wanted you to try them! You ate freakin' BULL TESTICLES when you were on that stupid trip to COLORADO!"
I wonder whether -- your sense of humor and talent for spinning a yarn aside -- this RR would have been a lot shorter and less interesting without Mike as the conflict part of the arc. In that sense, imagine the target-rich environment you'd have if the next trip was you, Mike and the GF in a sidecar/pillion.

I double dog dare you.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #327
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Without a doubt, this trip and the subsequent ride report would be nothing without MIke...certainly it would be about 90% shorter and a heck of a lot less interesting...he's key to the entire thing...like Costello to my Abbot...Hope to my Crosby...Tango to my Cash...Danny Glover to my Mel Gibson...well, you get it...he's a ton of fun even when he's not trying. I'd take another trip with him in a minute. The fact that we were still laughing at the very end and talking to eachother the next day at work, was nothing short of surprising. I'm a overly obsessive pain in the ass and a relentless ball buster when I'm with my friends...I wouldn't travel with me...its a testament to just how easy going he is. Short of the 5:00AM wake up call with the electric razor and the snoring, I don't think he was phased by any of my other quirks. He's a good $hit.

As far as traveling with him and his girl, that would be a real page turner if it ever happened. I honestly don't think we ever would have gotten out of the driveway though. I've got zero tolerance for miserable people.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #328
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I've got zero tolerance for miserable people.
I hear you. The point of motorcycles (and life) isn't masochism (eg: cross-country trips via moped or race rep or with miserable people), but sometimes that stuff is fun to read about, depending on the POV of the rider. So, congrats on the POV that's worth inhabiting second-hand for a while.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:24 AM   #329
Varkenjaab
Middle Age Crisis

Oddometer: 17
Thumb

I'm only up to Page 4 (Bates Hotel) but I gotta go by a Bill Bryson book if he writes like you/you like him.

This is just great! Especially as I'm about to embark on a 3 week trip around the PNW next week when I fly in from Orstraylya.

Lovin' it
Varkenjaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #330
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Back to the adventure...err...the utter lack of adventure. MIke and I did the tourist thing and walked all around the place...we perused the wares in the gift shop...souvenir mugs...Mount Rushmore dream catchers...posters...stuffed animals...coloring books...genuine native American-Made in China walking sticks...Mount Rushmore jewelry...refrigerator magnets...and a gentleman who had actually taken part in the original construction was signing his book at a little folding table...not a lot of takers for that one...I felt for the guy. I think construction ended like 50 years ago. I hope he had been doing something more exciting between then and now.

After loading up on souvenir spoons, we ventured out to the viewing platform and I spied a pair of attractive young ladies taking pictures. Being the chivalrous gentleman that I am (i.e. dirty perv), I offered to take their picture in front of the monument. In turn, they reciprocated and we now have this for Mike's girlfriend's desk.

I'm going to have it framed for her.