User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #376
Lago Vista Nomad
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Bravo

I know it's been said before, but I have to say this has been the most enjoyable RR that I have read. Thanks for taking the time to entertain us all.
Lago Vista Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #377
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider View Post

This could be an ominous foreshadowing of what's going to happen to Mike when his girlfriend gets ahold of him!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #378
Loconut
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I have enjoyed every bit of your RR. Thanks for sharing.
Loconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #379
Miltonkid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
One of my favorite RR by far!!

www.facebook.com/motorcyclingadventures
Miltonkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #380
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
I was there in July, 2013. Ran into ferocious hail storm and had to turn around. Mornings are much better than afternoons!
-ceej

PS - great report; makes me think of me and my buddy (interestingly enough, also Mike). Only he's the writer and the calm one; I'm the anal, GPS map/route/destination freak. However, we both like our steaks, and have the occasional "1 bed or 2" questions as well

Quote:
If you're considering a ride up Mt. Evans, I really wouldn't recommend June. Things are much nicer in July or August when temperatures sore way up into the 40s. The grass is green, the wildflowers bloom, and the mountain goats come up top to chill.
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 01:02 PM
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #381
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
I could have stayed on the road forever.

Several of your observations about motorcycle trips have stirred memories, but this one grabbed hold of me. Has happened a number of times, but most memorably in Death Valley a few years ago. I can still feel it - almost 'taste' it even. You describe it well; thanks.
-ceej

Quote:
Having completed our pilgrimage, we loaded up our trinkets and hit the road once again. The highway was mercifully empty, the temperatures were in the mid 80s, and the sun was exactly at our backs. I chased my own shadow for miles as it stretched out 20 feet before me on the highway. It was at this instant when I had a perfect motorcycling moment...a picture perfect sky that went on forever...warm sun on my back...motor chugging along effortlessly...headset turned off...open face shield...prairie birds sitting on fence posts...green grass swaying to a warm breeze...no sense of how long I had been on the road...no idea what day it was...no stress...no plans beyond riding until I was tired...alone inside my own head. I remember thinking that this one moment might be the happiest I'd ever be and, if the world ended tomorrow, I'd be pretty happy with how things went for me. Honestly, it was that good. I could have stayed on the road forever.
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #382
treebrain
Bobby Lynch

Oddometer: 47
The Final Chapter

I think I've got this figured out: Late in the afternoon of November 1st, our author-hero was sitting in his office killing time before heading home to his understanding wife, when an attorney entered. The attorney then dropped two folders on his desk. One of which was a Cease And Desist Order. The other, the legal details of the Defamation Of Character Suit that Mike's now not-so-anonymous former girlfriend has brought upon him, taking down with it, our highly anticipated ending . . . somewhat like the Hindenburg.

Oh, the humanity . . .
treebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #383
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 613
I wish it was something that interesting.

Honestly, I've been stimied by something I can only assume is "writer's block". I'm not sure that it applies to a dilettante writer such as myself, but I've been just flat stuck for months.

I think it's because Day 8 of the trip brought me in close vicinity to a storied land that I've been reading about for years and years. A place where ancient English machines chug and Italian hypersports scream through the bucolic countryside. A place where the most prolific moto-journalist of my lifetime has collected and shared stories that have inspired me to go beyond the horizon.

That magical place...Madison, WI.

Every time I start to write about Day 8, I get all caught up in trying to create an homage to my literary hero and the words fail me. I just can't communicate my esteem in an effective way. I've drafted the words over and over again, but I always give up in frustration. I'm just not worthy. I feel like Wayne and Garth when they meet Alice Cooper...except I didn't even meet the guy. I cruised right by the exit in my hurry to burn miles and beat the forecasted weather.

There I was...within spitting distance of my personal gearhead Graceland...Home to the King of moto-journalism...and I didn't even make the time to cruise past his home or stop for a photo op in front of a "Welcome to Madison" sign...or even to ride down some of the roads chronicled in his writing. I blew right by and I've regretted it ever moment since then. I think that regret has caused my writer's block. I should've gotten off...I should've asked around about his whereabouts...stalked him on Google...stopped at the foot of his driveway...craned my neck to spy his fabled garage...waved to Barb in the window as she dialed 911...asked for a personal note inside my autographed copy of Leanings. I should've done something...anything...after all, how often is it that you come that close to one of your heroes?

In the end, it would've been hard to explain to Mike why we were wasting a day wandering Wisconisn looking for the whereabouts of a guy he's never heard of...

We pressed on and I was sad.

I wonder if he reads ADVrider...

Hondarider screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 09:21 AM
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #384
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

OK...let's wrap this bad boy up. It's Friday morning and we're cruising east on I-90...intent on covering some big miles and getting ourselves within a day's ride of home. I was sulking in my helmet over my apparent lack of stalking skills and Mike was doing his own thing back there on the road. BY this point, we had a real good handle on the headsets and we could communicate at will or rock out to our respective tunes. I really think it took us the whole week just to figure out all the buttons on the Scala headsets. The VOX function still tripped me up when I was singing my heart out, but I was feeling pretty good about my mastery of the electronics. I was making phone calls home thru Siri and people couldn't even tell that I was sailing down the highway at 80mph.

Chicago came and went without much fanfare...traffic was ugly and we ended up sitting a lot...then I took a wrong turn and found myself on I-65 South. The GPS was acting a bit squirrely and we had to navigate some side streets to get back on track. Ordinarily, this would have just been an interesting taste of local color, but we were in the business of covering miles today and not looking for the time suck of navigating urban neighborhoods.

Indiana zipped past and I kept thinking that we should take a short detour north just to touch MIchigan, but once again, we were slaves to the clock for no good reason. The joy of the trip was drained right out of us and we were thinking about nothing other than getting home. If only I could condition myself to stay out of that trap...to enjoy the trip right up to the last minute and treat my arrival home as a happy surprise. I've got to work on that.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #385
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
If it's any help, the parts of the RR I enjoyed the most were the ones that were written in a more conversational voice, less so the parts that sounded more like you were trying. Of course, most good writing by definition is supposed to look like it was easy, and that probably doesn't happen without a lot of rewriting.

Don't sweat it -- just tell the story; owning up to your limits is just one more reason this RR has been good to read.
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:48 AM   #386
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Ohio passed by without much excitement, but it was certainly hot. I think the record temperatures we saw in Colorado were moving with us. We were running less than a day ahead of a storm that was also moving east and it was hot and steamy. I tried to kick back with a cold Mountain Dew in the lush green grass of an interstate rest area, but was over-run by voracious mosquitos and ants after about 5 minutes. I'm not sure where they came from, but once I noticed I was being eaten alive, it was as if a swarm had engulfed us. We ended up all but running to the motorcycles to escape them. Short respite over, we pressed on.

Things were pretty quiet by now...no deep discussions of the meaning of life...no more stories of past conquests or drunken debauchery...not much dialogue between Mike and I at all. We were focused solely on getting home.

We hit Cleveland late in the day and there was significant traffic due to what I assume was an Indians game. At this point, we were somewhat relieved because we knew we were less than 1 day's ride to home. Still, we pressed on knowing that every extra mile today was one less mile for tomorrow. We cruised northeast along the shore of Lake Erie with glimpses of the water in some places. I had my sights set on making it to the New York border before calling it a day.

Then, like the flip of a switch, the sun disappeared and it got dark...quick. Time to find lodging before the deer come out of hiding.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:01 AM   #387
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

It always seems to be the same story. When you're not ready to stop, the landscape is dotted with beautiful hotels with inviting pools and steak houses within walking distance. When night drops like heavy drapes, the highway becomes a desolate wasteland with no exit for 50 miles and no lodging. We were in Pennsylvania by this point and had given up on New York...we just wanted to get off the highway. I should've stopped in Erie, but my drive to get home had overshadowed my good judgement. We had ridden about 650 miles today and we were both a little fatigued. It was time to get off.

I pulled off at the first exit I could find that offered even the remotest chance of civilation. We rode down towards a town and found ourselves with two choices of lodging...a multi-story Holiday Inn Express and a dilapidated dive of a road side motel. Mike was in favor of the clean, modern, and well lit Holiday Inn express, but all I could think of was taking 5 trips to unload my bike and schlepping my gear up to a 5th floor hotel room. I had my eye on the filthy little motel with parking 4 feet from the door. In my fatigued state, all I could think of was the distance between my bike and a bed.

Typical to our relationship, Mike let me have my way.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:53 AM   #388
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

It was Mike's turn to pay for the motel so he went into the office while I sat on the bike...exhausted.

Another couple had gone in just before him so he was standing there in the lobby/living room of the immigrant owners of this fine establishment.

When it was finally MIke's turn, he asked for a room with 2 beds and the proprietor informed him that they only had rooms with singles. Having spent the last 5 minutes surveying his crap-tacular surroundings, Mike was thrilled with the news and was just about to come outside to tell me that we'd be going to the Holiday Inn instead.

However, impatient control freak that I am, I had come into the motel office behind him and I was listening in on the exchange. I piped up with "we'll just take 2 rooms". Mike spun around to see where the voice came from and was visibly disappointed. He had decided that he didn't want to spend another minute in this place and I had decided I wouldn't be riding another 20 feet tonight. Crestfallen, he payed the man and we collected our keys...
Old 01-15-2014, 05:34 AM   #389
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

I rolled my bike over to my assigned room and backed it right up to the door. It was dark at this point and after a long day of highway riding, I just wanted to get out of my riding gear and relax. Mike was 2 doors down. I opened the door to my room...err...8' x 8' cell...and was smacked in the face by the overpowering smell of mold and mildew. I would have laughed if it hadn't knocked the wind out of me. I will say, however, that what it lacked in size, it made up for in filth. I stuck my head back out the door to see if Mike had opened his door yet. Clearly he had because when I looked his way, he called me a dick and flipped me off. Aside from the lack of meth addicts lurking in the shadows, this was really the worst accommodations of the entire trip. I knew we should have stayed at the Holiday Inn.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:48 AM   #390
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

The good news is that there was a dive bar/restaurant not 20 feet from my room and it was Friday night...time to get some local color. Afraid that they'd stop serving food at any moment, we hurriedly unpacked the bikes, and went to the bar. I didn't even change out of my riding gear. Mike was concerned about the safety of the bikes, but all I cared about was a cheeseburger and a beer. We walked in and I felt like Charlie Daniels in Uneasy Rider; my textile garb and riding boots like a neon sign of nonconformance. I really should have ridden a Harley. Its not that the place was particularly rough as bars go, but it was clearly very local and we very clearly were not. It had to be close to 10:00 by now so folks were drinking heavily and having a good time. There's always that moment when you're surveying the room to see if anyone is looking real hard at you and you detect the potential for trouble, but that wasn't the case. We got a cursory once over from the crowd and then they went back to the business of trying to seduce the drunk chicks. A tired looking hostess led us to a table where an exhausted middle-aged waitress took our orders.