Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #406
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Trail View Post
This has been the most entertaining ride report I have followed. Great writing and story telling. You have a gift of humor with words. I especially enjoyed the lead up to the "picture". That had me rolling. Anyhow thank you for taking the time to write this and keep us entertained.

Out of curiosity how much did you spend on this trip? Ballpark figure.

LT
Hmmm...I never added it up...I had intended to once I got home...I used the same credit card everywhere so that I could capture the charges...but then I got all caught up in summer activities and forgot al about it...I didn't even unpack the bike for a month. That being said, let's ballpark it...9 days on the road...8 nights...4,500 miles...my portion was probably:

Hotels...$800 (Estes Park drove up the average)
Fuel...$450 (91 octane)
Food & Beer...$600 (I don't drink much)
Tolls...$90 (Awful expensive between New York and Chicago)
Park Fees...$30 (Mt. Evans and Rocky Mountain National Park)
Souvenir Cowboy Photos...$50 (PRICELESS!)

I'm sure there were some things that I've forgotten all about, but it looks like I spent about $2000...HOLY CRAP! I had no idea! That's a lot of money! At least I have this thread to show for it.
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #407
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Very entertaining. Thanks for the story.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:11 AM   #408
Long Trail
adv dreamer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider View Post
Hmmm...I never added it up...I had intended to once I got home...I used the same credit card everywhere so that I could capture the charges...but then I got all caught up in summer activities and forgot al about it...I didn't even unpack the bike for a month. That being said, let's ballpark it...9 days on the road...8 nights...4,500 miles...my portion was probably:

Hotels...$800 (Estes Park drove up the average)
Fuel...$450 (91 octane)
Food & Beer...$600 (I don't drink much)
Tolls...$90 (Awful expensive between New York and Chicago)
Park Fees...$30 (Mt. Evans and Rocky Mountain National Park)
Souvenir Cowboy Photos...$50 (PRICELESS!)

I'm sure there were some things that I've forgotten all about, but it looks like I spent about $2000...HOLY CRAP! I had no idea! That's a lot of money! At least I have this thread to show for it.

Thanks for the reply. Wow you spent more on food and beer than fuel?!? Just how many Rocky Mountain Oysters did you guys eat? Lol
Long Trail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:18 AM   #409
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

We ate well...no fast food or gas station egg salad sandwiches this time around.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #410
Long Trail
adv dreamer

Oddometer: 51
You might as well do it right, it is vacation after all. Colorado is so far my favorite state to visit. I've been there in July and in January, enjoyed it each time. The first time was with my now wife, who I had only known for three weeks then. Oh the romantic memories. The Mexican restaurant in Frisco, Dillon Reservoir, to the cozy small hotel room (no a/c?). Now 7 and a half years later with a young family it all seems so out of reach. At some point I plan on doing a trip similar to yours, I'm just not sure when I will be able to pull it off.
Long Trail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #411
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

I cannot overstate the importance of an understanding wife (or husband I suppose) in any of these endeavors. Without her support and willingness to play the role of single parent in my absence, there's absolutely no way that I could pull this off. And its not just the acceptance of my absence, its her entire tone and attitude throughout the trip...not complaining about how hard it is, not itemizing every little thing that she had to do without me, not going on at great length about her or the kids missing me, and always sounding cheerful and encouraging on the phone. I know this was a specific effort on her part and not just a happy coincidence.

Our nightly exchanges were generally

"How was the riding today?"

"Fantastic! Curvy roads, sunshine, and many miles. How are things there?"

"Things here are fine. We're all doing good. Kids are out playing. I saw your pictures on Facebook today. Have fun tomorrow. Be careful. Take pictures. See you soon"

"OK. Thanks. Love you. See you in a few days"

No drama...no whining...no guilt trip. She rocks. I should bring her flowers tonight.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #412
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
does your wife have any unmarried sisters that share her disposition toward riding?
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #413
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Unfortunately, sister #4 is getting married this spring. Sorry. I credit their father with making them strong and independent women while setting the precedent for boys and their need for toys and adventure. He and I just went to pick up his new Ural sidecar rig last weekend.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #414
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider View Post
I cannot overstate the importance of an understanding wife (or husband I suppose) in any of these endeavors. Without her support and willingness to play the role of single parent in my absence, there's absolutely no way that I could pull this off. And its not just the acceptance of my absence, its her entire tone and attitude throughout the trip...not complaining about how hard it is, not itemizing every little thing that she had to do without me, not going on at great length about her or the kids missing me, and always sounding cheerful and encouraging on the phone. I know this was a specific effort on her part and not just a happy coincidence.

Our nightly exchanges were generally

"How was the riding today?"

"Fantastic! Curvy roads, sunshine, and many miles. How are things there?"

"Things here are fine. We're all doing good. Kids are out playing. I saw your pictures on Facebook today. Have fun tomorrow. Be careful. Take pictures. See you soon"

"OK. Thanks. Love you. See you in a few days"

No drama...no whining...no guilt trip. She rocks. I should bring her flowers tonight.
My strategy with wifey is simple, annoy her enough to evoke the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" emotion.

Thanks for sharing the ride!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #415
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oh yeah...I'm terribly annoying as a rule...I assume ditching me for a week is a vacation in itself.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:57 AM   #416
Bradlo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Great RR loved every minute of it !!!! Such a change from all the usual heroics and depravations!!!! Cheers!
Bradlo is offline   Reply With Quote