Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #106
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,193
Loving this RR. I am a former Masshole from Saugus who had his accent revoked. I am really enjoying your storytelling and your sense of humor. +1 on the reference to Bill Bryson. One of my favorite authors. Have a good trip. More pics please.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #107
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 613
Once we arrived at the northern terminus of Lookout Mountain Road, it was time to hit one of my favorite roads in the area…Clear Creek Canyon Road or Route 6…from Golden up to Idaho Springs. On a good day, this can be a fast and twisty ride along the creek and between the steep canyon walls. On a Monday morning in June, it was road construction, dump trucks, and fresh tarmac/gravel. Not exactly the exhilarating experience I was hoping for, but scenic nonetheless. The creek looked COLD.
It seems to me that there used to be 6 tunnels along this route…I didn't count 6 this time so maybe the road has be rerouted...the tunnels always provided a respite from the hot summer temps during the summer days or a shocking chill if riding home from Idaho Springs on a Fall night with no roof or doors...either way, they're a lot of fun if you like to hear your bike sing at redline. The BMW isn’t all that melodic, but Mike cleared the throat on his big v-twin and shook the mountains.

US 6 brings you right up to Idaho Springs...a funky little mountain town I always like to visit. I once spent 4th of July here and they really blew the place up.

Follow the map from B to A for my route thus far today...

Hondarider screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 10:45 AM
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #108
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Idaho Springs was the first mountain town I ever visited on my first ride into the Rockies and I always find a way to stop there when I’m in Colorado. It’s got a downtown area that’s probably geared towards tourists, but I prefer to stay more towards the periphery…side streets where locals congregate. I’ve had lengthy conversations with the most random people in gas stations or little diners…people who live and work in the tiny community…almost every one of them has a story…usually many stories. I’ve stayed in the town on a few occasions and walked it from end to end on a warm summer night…I just dig the vibe…rusty old Jeeps and weathered pickup trucks…Clear Creek rushing by…the Argo mine…white water rafting…I like it here. I once took refuge here during a freak spring snow storm when I had foolishly left my hard top and doors in Aurora. Good times.

Here's the downtown view. I've never spent much time in this area, but it looks nice.

Clear Creek goes right through the middle of town

I dig the side streets along the river

Today, however, we had miles to ride and things to see. We stopped at a gas station to fuel up on Premium unleaded, M&Ms, and Mountain Dew. We made some small talk with the cashier out front having a smoke break; discussed just how far we had traveled from home with some guy dressed like Indiana Jones, and then laid out our itinerary for the guy driving the potato chip delivery truck. Friendly town. Juiced up on sugar and caffeine, we hit the road for Mt. Evans.

Hondarider screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 10:45 AM
Old 07-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #109
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

The road to Mt. Evans is an eclectic mix of beautiful log cabins and makeshift compounds full of guys hoarding scrap metal and old cars. It's a fun variety of things to look at. The road was clean, dry and desolate and we were able to motor along at a rate slightly above the speed limit. There were even a few curves in there...we were able to really do some riding on the way to Echo Lake and I think Mike was struggling to keep up...I was doing my best Foggy impression and trying to drag the Touratechs in the fast corners. I'm really glad that I swapped from the TKC-80s to the Tourances for this trip.

Hondarider screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 10:46 AM
Old 07-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #110
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

OK...we're finally at a point in the story where I actually took some pictures. I actually strapped the GoPro to my head at the Mt. Evans gatehouse and recorded the entire ride to the top. Unfortunately, it's such a huge file that I have no idea where or how to host it. Also unfortunate is that neither of us fell down, missed the curve and plummetted to our doom, passed out from the altitude, or was accosted by a mountain goat. This means that the video is absolutely useless. Nobody wants to see it and even I lose interest after the first 10 minutes. Total bummer. I kept speeding up and hoping that MIke would miss a corner or crash into a snowbank for some good footage, but it never happened...not much of a team player that guy. Anyhow, here comes the story and a few still pics.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #111
sledrydr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Stellar report! Spicolli. Check. Amy Wheeler. Check! She wasn't from Ia. by chance? If you get some time I could use some pointers on routes that are friendly to 3 small dual sports (200, 250, 300) and one KLR. Prefer FS roads leading west from Pikes Peak area towards Crested Butte where possible. Please carry on!
sledrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #112
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider View Post
PREPARATION

This is generally my favorite part of any trip...the mental exercise of trying to prepare for any eventuality...the anticipation of hitting the road...the making of lists. One of life's greatest joys is creating, refining, reviewing, and ultimately perfecting my packing list...did I mention anal retentive? I packed the bike, repacked, inventoried, balanced, and diagramed. In then end, it all came down to a simple little 2-sided laminated card that contained the sum total of months of preparation...

I was beside myself with joy when Mike was silly enough to ask if I had a packing list and I presented him with this bad boy.
-1 for not alphabetizing the list

Life is a participatory sport - say YES and let the adventure begin.
DarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #113
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkins View Post
Wow! Cleanest windscreen I have ever seen!
Only because you're used to seeing my old GSA...this RR is already reminding me of our trip to Moab.

Carry on

Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #114
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc LaDue View Post
I think you're getting better Jeff!

I'm sitting here on the computer in our local cancer center's lobby waiting for my wife to get off of work laughing my you-know-what off. You rank right up there with Vermin (google him some time if you're not familiar), and Mike has no idea how lucky he is. I too tend towards the anal, so much so in fact that I drug along a spare clutch, rear shock, chain, tires, tubes, handlebars, etc. the past two years on our TAT exploits. Not for me, mind you, but rather my fellow "Oscars" who were too lazy or clueless (not to mention happy-go-lucky) to care. They, like Michael however, were enjoying their vacation, while I was fretting about whatever needed fretting over.
Anyway, keep up the good work, it's much appreciated. If you should write a book I want an autographed copy!

LaDue
Vermin...that's the inmate I kept thinking of as I hit page 3...you're Hunter S Thompson riding a shiny-clean GSA on codeine....keep it up!!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:38 AM   #115
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post
-1 for not alphabetizing the list
Excellent point! Now I know how I can improve it for the next time.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #116
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128

Waiting for pics.. !! FInally !..
Wonderful report ! Thanks !!
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:48 AM   #117
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

OK...Mt. Evans it is...I spent an hour or so running through the video of the ride to the top and capturing some still frames. As previously mentioned, they're not terribly exciting, but if you've never ridden this road, they give you some idea of what its like.

Mt. Evans is somewhere around 14,200' tall. It's touted as the highest paved road in America, but I don't know if that is still accurate. Pike's Peak is only slightly taller. The road to the top is fantastic with lots of switchbacks, no guardrails, and views for 100 miles. Here are my pics for your enjoyment.

PIC 1 - This is how all of my GoPro videos start...me with a dumb look on my face...trying to see if the camera is actually recording. It's usually followed by a shot of my crotch as I hold the helmet at my waist and prepare to put it on my big noggin. Thankfully, the fish eye lens makes my noggin look less fat...so I've got that going for me

Old 07-31-2013, 04:51 AM   #118
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

The ranger tells us that it's only 19 degrees at the top...

Who's ready to hit a patch of ice, slide off the road, and plummet to his doom?

THIS GUY!

Old 07-31-2013, 04:57 AM   #119
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Is that a GoPro on your head or are you just happy to see me?

Old 07-31-2013, 05:00 AM   #120
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

And away we go...14 miles of amazing views and twisty road...maybe we'll stop for a dip at Summit Lake

Hondarider screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 10:47 AM